Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Returned goods lost

including wills and probate
swill453
Lemon Half

Returned goods lost

Postby swill453 » January 6th, 2020, 11:16 am

My wife bought a pair of walking boots online for about £160 and decided to return them as unsuitable. She was aware that she would have to pay the return delivery charge as she was notified of this upfront.

The supplier's returns page says "Easy and convenient returns with Collect+ (you're welcome to use any service you wish like Royal Mail, Hermes if you prefer)". There is then a link through to the Collect+ website to buy a returns label for £4.49.

She followed the link through to Collect+ where it informs you "This includes online tracking and up to £50 compensation cover". Importantly, there is no option on this page to increase the compensation cover. (We've subsequently discovered that if you go to the Collect+ website via the "front door" to post something, you can choose how much compensation cover you want).

Of course the parcel didn't get to the destination and has been confirmed by Collect+ as lost. It seems that £50 is all she's going to get back.

Do you think she's got any legal claim against the original supplier since their chosen courier service had such a low compensation limit? I guess she could appeal to them on customer service grounds as an unhappy customer.

Both the original purchase and the return label were purchased by credit card, do you think there's any liability there?

Scott.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Re: Returned goods lost

Postby Maroochydore » January 6th, 2020, 10:15 pm

swill453 wrote:The supplier's returns page says "Easy and convenient returns with Collect+ (you're welcome to use any service you wish like Royal Mail, Hermes if you prefer)". There is then a link through to the Collect+ website to buy a returns label for £4.49.

Do you think she's got any legal claim against the original supplier since their chosen courier service had such a low compensation limit? I guess she could appeal to them on customer service grounds as an unhappy customer.
Scott.

She chose one of the options the supplier gave her. If she wasn't happy with the compo level she could have checked out the other options.

swill453 wrote:Both the original purchase and the return label were purchased by credit card, do you think there's any liability there?
Scott.

The original purchase was satisfied, i.e. it was delivered. The return label was a separate purchase and was under £100 so I don't think it qualifies.

Best bet, in my opinion, is to appeal nicely to the supplier on customer service grounds.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”