Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus law

including wills and probate
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Coronavirus law

Postby swill453 » May 19th, 2020, 7:51 pm

didds wrote:
(b)to take exercise—
(iii)with one member of another household;

I live and learn.

Bear in mind the above applies to England only at the moment.

Scott.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 19th, 2020, 11:02 pm

didds wrote:
Chrysalis wrote:I think you can go into someone else’s house for the purpose of providing care...

... or as a nanny or cleaner... (I believe?) ... or other emergency task eg Gas engineer for a leaking gas wotsit

didds

Or more controversially, to carry out a Landlord Gas Safety Inspection, which some landlords consider an emergency given the refusal of the HSE to relax the requirement to have them carried out annually.

A friend of mine is some sort of legal bod at a really large housing association and a part of her job nowadays is obtaining court orders for their gas bods to enter houses and flats occupied by tenants refusing access, including those categorised as "high risk" and "shielded". The housing association she says, cannot be seen to ignore the law whatever the circumstances.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 19th, 2020, 11:13 pm

Mike4 wrote:Or more controversially, to carry out a Landlord Gas Safety Inspection, which some landlords consider an emergency given the refusal of the HSE to relax the requirement to have them carried out annually.

Car safety is treated as a much lower risk, given the extension of MOTs announced around a couple of months ago.

But what of boiler inspections in owner occupied houses?

Moderator Message:
Can we not start a debate on boiler inspection on this thread please? The topic was about house visits and is on Legal Issues. The topic has already gone quite a way off the strict topic (I know I've participated in that), but maybe it's gone far enough? (chas49)

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » May 22nd, 2020, 1:47 am

Thanks to the poster who said you can go to someone’s house to provide care

I have actually just been doing that without looking for the relevant bit of law. I just vaguely looked at government guidelines for that one.
:o

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » May 22nd, 2020, 3:50 pm

Sunnypad wrote:Thanks to the poster who said you can go to someone’s house to provide care

I have actually just been doing that without looking for the relevant bit of law. I just vaguely looked at government guidelines for that one.
:o

I have now added a link to the regs in my earlier post (viewtopic.php?p=309970#p309970)

The 'excuse' which relates to care says "to provide care or assistance, including relevant personal care ......, to a vulnerable person, or to provide emergency assistance" - so as long as they are a vulnerable person

This is defined in Section 1C

"“vulnerable person” includes—
(i)any person aged 70 or older;
(ii)any person under 70 who has an underlying health condition, including but not limited to, the conditions listed in Schedule 1;
(iii)any person who is pregnant."

As has been previously discussed here and elsewhere, the guidance published, and statements made by Ministers, is not always in line with the actual law. Obviously I am not advocating looking for loopholes in the law to enable risky behavior, but we do need to know what is actually an offence.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”