Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Avoiding loss of transatlantic flight costs during CV19

including wills and probate
BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Avoiding loss of transatlantic flight costs during CV19

Postby BrummieDave » May 27th, 2020, 3:17 pm

(Not really a cross-post, but I did just add this to an existing thread on DAK; that thread is about 'Package Holidays' and my query is not, it's a flight only booking, and it's legal guidance I'm seeking so more relevant here IMHO)

I'm confused about some rapidly approaching US travel plans, booked for mid-June, flying from UK to Boston via Dublin, then returning from Philadelphia again via Dublin, all with Aer Lingus.

My accomodation in the US, a combination of AirBnB and hotels, have all cancelled (ie they approached me) and returned my deposits, based on their inability to offer us the booked lodgings (against their current laws). However, Aer Lingus appear to be confirming the flights, as though we're still going.

My understanding is that the US is not allowing foreign nationals from UK (or Ireland) to enter the US: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... tries.html

Not sure if Aer Lingus are playing a shrewd game of chicken with me, but can they operate the flights and thus keep my money (they aren't taking phone calls of course)?

If I cancel, would I be able to get a refund from Aer lingus, or claim on travel insurance?

Any pointers would be welcome...

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Re: Avoiding loss of transatlantic flight costs during CV19

Postby pochisoldi » May 27th, 2020, 4:15 pm

BrummieDave wrote:Not sure if Aer Lingus are playing a shrewd game of chicken with me, but can they operate the flights and thus keep my money (they aren't taking phone calls of course)?

Any pointers would be welcome...

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=aer+lingus+us+flights+update

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 27th, 2020, 11:03 pm

If your travel insurance will pay out under these circumstances why not just do that and let the insurers chase the airtline if they see fit?

didds

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » May 27th, 2020, 11:59 pm

At present I don’t see how you could make a claim, as you can’t prove that the entry ban will still be in place at the date you’re booked to travel.

If it is (which seems likely) then of course you’d be able to make a claim after the travel date has passed, but I’d hope that Aer Lingus would then issue a refund more or less automatically.

Incidentally, as you’re travelling before the end of June they’re offering an option to give you a voucher for the value of your ticket +10%. This may be a reasonable deal if you’re still wanting to travel to the USA as soon as it becomes possible to do so.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 28th, 2020, 12:35 am

Clitheroekid wrote:At present I don’t see how you could make a claim, as you can’t prove that the entry ban will still be in place at the date you’re booked to travel.

If it is (which seems likely) then of course you’d be able to make a claim after the travel date has passed, but I’d hope that Aer Lingus would then issue a refund more or less automatically.

Incidentally, as you’re travelling before the end of June they’re offering an option to give you a voucher for the value of your ticket +10%. This may be a reasonable deal if you’re still wanting to travel to the USA as soon as it becomes possible to do so.

Yes, i had flights for April and May and was offered a choice of a refund or a voucher for future travel. I took the refund but that isn't always an option. Best to wait close to the time as you say.

At least flying via Dublin could potentially avoid the 14 day quarantine for inbound passengers here.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 28th, 2020, 9:29 am

Lootman wrote:
At least flying via Dublin could potentially avoid the 14 day quarantine for inbound passengers here.

Pure conjection of course but something as "easy" as this would surely be closed down if HMG were really serious about preventing arrivals from potentially preading CV19?

didds

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 28th, 2020, 12:14 pm

didds wrote:
Lootman wrote:At least flying via Dublin could potentially avoid the 14 day quarantine for inbound passengers here.

Pure conjection of course but something as "easy" as this would surely be closed down if HMG were really serious about preventing arrivals from potentially preading CV19?

This was discussed at some length on another topic. I offered the view that Ireland is getting a pass here because flights from Ireland into the UK arrive as domestic flights. They bypass immigration controls in the same way as flights from Cardiff, Scotland or Jersey.

Moderator Message:
Can I request please that we don't divert to a discussion of avoiding the quarantine via Dublin on this thread. As mentioned, this has been discussed elsewhere - and that thread has been locked. (chas49)

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » May 29th, 2020, 8:37 am

Thanks as always to those who came forward with constructive comment.

To update, and in case it's of use for others to know, my situation changed on the same evening as my OP when Aer Lingus emailed me with a change of flight schedule. The significant change was moving my point of departure from my local regional airport to Heathrow.

I called Aer Lingus and after around 30 mins got through to a call centre (really bad connection BTW, and sounded like it was in the Far East based on the accent, and quite tricky to understand) and was offered the usual rebook your flights option, or vouchers for the flight cost plus 10%. I pushed for a full refund on the basis that my departure airport had been changed saying I could no longer make the journey, and after two attempts, it was agreed that I could have a full refund.

I'm yet to see this on my credit card balance, but do have a refund code from Aer Lingus. I'm confident of receiving the refund over the next few days, but would rather I hadn't had to cancel this trip.

As a slightly OT post-script, I've flown to the US via Dublin a couple of times now, clearing US Customs and Immigration at Dublin Airport prior to departure, and recommend this. Arriving in the US after a relatively lengthy transatlantic flight and simply collecting any luggage and walking straight out (being treated the same as a US domestic flight) is much better than being the now predictable 60 to 90 mins queueing upon arrival for entry clearance especially if you're already feeling jaded.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 29th, 2020, 10:58 am

BrummieDave wrote:As a slightly OT post-script, I've flown to the US via Dublin a couple of times now, clearing US Customs and Immigration at Dublin Airport prior to departure, and recommend this. .

so the same isnt available at eg LHR for direct flights to the USA?

didds

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » May 29th, 2020, 11:58 am

didds wrote:
BrummieDave wrote:As a slightly OT post-script, I've flown to the US via Dublin a couple of times now, clearing US Customs and Immigration at Dublin Airport prior to departure, and recommend this. .

didds

No, nothing quite so convenient from UK!

Dublin and Shannon in Ireland, Abu Dhabi, and a host of Canadian and US friendly Caribbean locations.

It is so much easier than the vast majority of experiences a traveller arriving direct into the US would encounter.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 29th, 2020, 12:25 pm

didds wrote:

There is some talk of expanding the C gates building at Heathrow Terminal 5, moving American Airlines there to join BA, and putting in US pre-clear facilities there. But for now you have to transit through Dublin or Shannon for that.

It is a great facility but bear in mind you need to build in a fair amount of extra time for your connection in Dublin as, particular on busy summer days, it can take an hour or maybe more to be processed. Last time I was there I personally witnessed a couple from Spain who missed their New York flight because they were stuck in Pre-Clear.

There is a lounge after Pre-Clear called "51st and Green". Get it?

Finally if you book LHR-DUB as a separate ticket then you won't have to pay the higher APT that applies to long-haul flights. In premium cabins that can save you a few hundred. I usually stay overnight at the DUB Radisson Blu when I do that - it is walkable from the terminals.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » May 29th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Agree with what Lootman says, and we book Aer Lingus all the way through which helps with the coordination and to a degree, puts the onus on the airline to see us and our luggage gets to the final destination together and on the booked flights. What they seem to do at Dublin at least is call everyone for a particular flight at once, then walk up and down the queue asking if anyone towards the back needs to be brought forward.

Booking your own flight into Dublin, perhaps the couple from Spain did this, may remove this support. That said, as we fly business on long-haul usually, knowing about the increased APT being applied throughout if booked as a single ticket, I may look into seperate bookings.

BTW for anyone who hasn't seen this in operation, it's a bit strange the first time you encounter it. Part of the airport is to all effects the USA, cordoned off, and complete with US flags, portraits of POTUS, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers at their standard desks, with their systems etc. talking to you about your plans etc. all very formally. Quite a contrast to everything else in Dublin! :lol:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 29th, 2020, 2:06 pm

BrummieDave wrote:Agree with what Lootman says, and we book Aer Lingus all the way through which helps with the coordination and to a degree, puts the onus on the airline to see us and our luggage gets to the final destination together and on the booked flights.

Booking your own flight into Dublin, perhaps the couple from Spain did this, may remove this support. That said, as we fly business on long-haul usually, knowing about the increased APT being applied throughout if booked as a single ticket, I may look into separate bookings.

Yes, that is an important point (and not unique to Dublin). If you start your trip from outside the UK to save the APT (which is probably only worthwhile in J or F) then you first need to position yourself in that foreign airport on a separate itinerary.

And the risk then is that your positioning flight from the UK may be delayed or cancelled, and you are 100% exposed for your onward flights.

That is why when I do that via Dublin, I fly to DUB the day before and stay in an airport hotel. Or have a week-end in Dublin before. The pre-clear facility is near empty in the early morning so that helps, as does 51st and Green since you wil have a longer wait.

Other popular airports that consistently have cheaper fares to the US are Lisbon, Oslo, Stockholm and Amsterdam. Sometimes the best fare is even on BA via London and cheaper than originating in London.

I feel sure many people don't think it is worth the extra time and hassle, but I get a buzz out of doing it.

Trivia footnote: Inverness airport has an exemption from APT so you can fly INV-LHR-JFK and back, and pay no tax.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » May 29th, 2020, 3:25 pm

All good points, and new info to me, thanks.

One last thing from me before the Mods shut us down for straying to far OT, if anyone is thinking of arriving early in to DUB to clear US Immigration before the queue starts, unless you have entry to the "51st and Green" there's very little in the way of catering available once you've been cleared (unless things have changed since last summer).

My son fell for this clearing some 6 hours prior to a flight, then got very hungry. :lol:

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » May 29th, 2020, 4:17 pm

Moderator Message:
Agreed this might be going a bit far OT now. My initial warning was about the digression to avoidance of COVID quarantine. I think a discussion about various ways that flying via Dublin or elsewhere can be simpler or cheaper is reasonable though probably not really for this board. If the OP wishes this moved to the Travel Lounge/Airport Lounge board, please let me know. (chas49)

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » May 29th, 2020, 5:47 pm

chas49 wrote:
Moderator Message:
Agreed this might be going a bit far OT now. My initial warning was about the digression to avoidance of COVID quarantine. I think a discussion about various ways that flying via Dublin or elsewhere can be simpler or cheaper is reasonable though probably not really for this board. If the OP wishes this moved to the Travel Lounge/Airport Lounge board, please let me know. (chas49)

I'm all finished thanks Chas; got my original issue sorted, shared the outcome and how I achieved it (in case that helps other fools), and between me and lootman, shared a few tips around the main subject area (which may also be useful for others). Over and out...

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » May 29th, 2020, 9:37 pm

BrummieDave wrote:
chas49 wrote:
Moderator Message:

I'm all finished thanks Chas; got my original issue sorted, shared the outcome and how I achieved it (in case that helps other fools), and between me and lootman, shared a few tips around the main subject area (which may also be useful for others). Over and out...

You're welcome.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”