Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Talk-Talk Renewal

including wills and probate
tractorian
2 Lemon pips

Talk-Talk Renewal

Postby tractorian » July 25th, 2020, 1:42 pm

My Agreement with Talk-Talk finishes in about a month. This week I had an email from them setting out an increase in charges (surprise, surprise) and implying that if I did nothing the Agreement would be rolled over under the new terms.

It just so happens that I had already decided to go elsewhere and so contacted a new supplier. In conversation, the new supplier told me there was no need to contact Talk-Talk as these things terminate automatically and cannot be rolled over without me agreeing the new terms. They further suggested that rolling over Agreements in this way is no longer legal.

Can anyone please confirm or deny that this is the case?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Talk-Talk Renewal

Postby dealtn » July 25th, 2020, 4:29 pm

tractorian wrote:My Agreement with Talk-Talk finishes in about a month. This week I had an email from them setting out an increase in charges (surprise, surprise) and implying that if I did nothing the Agreement would be rolled over under the new terms.

It just so happens that I had already decided to go elsewhere and so contacted a new supplier. In conversation, the new supplier told me there was no need to contact Talk-Talk as these things terminate automatically and cannot be rolled over without me agreeing the new terms. They further suggested that rolling over Agreements in this way is no longer legal.

What is in your original agreement?

Is there a clause that effectively says you agree to "rollover under ..." and therefore you have "...agreed the new terms". Given practically nobody reads the agreements that they are presented with (even though they should) that would be a bit "sneaky", but might be reason why you should at least at a minimum inform them of your wish to terminate, rather than rely on the word of the new supplier (or at least one of its salesmen) that you don't need to.

tractorian
2 Lemon pips

Postby tractorian » July 25th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Than you delto for your response.

All I can find in the agreement is:

"If you want to end a service or your agreement with us outside the minimum period you will have to contact us in writing or by phone to give 30 days' notice, however, if you're transferring to another telephone or broadband provider, we'll accept that you've given us sufficient notice when we receive notice from them."

Presumably, when the period of the current agreement ends I'm outside the minimum period?

I had already written cancelling the agreement, the question was asked out of curiosity.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 25th, 2020, 5:27 pm

tractorian wrote:In conversation, the new supplier told me there was no need to contact Talk-Talk as these things terminate automatically and cannot be rolled over without me agreeing the new terms. They further suggested that rolling over Agreements in this way is no longer legal.

That was my experience back in January, when I finally dumped TalkTalk for a basic Post Office account at less than half the cost. The new supplier set up the change, and the next thing I knew, TalkTalk were sending me emails pleading with me to change my mind. No chance. :lol:

One complication, though, was that I was unable to get my TalkTalk telephone number ported across to the new account, so in the end I had to get a new number. As far as I can tell, this was because TalkTalk had different switchgear in the local exchange from the usual BT Openreach, but hey, I'm no expert. They either couldn't or wouldn't play ball. Rot in hell, TalkTalk.

BJ

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”