Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Ppi help

including wills and probate
Laura

Ppi help

Postby Laura » February 24th, 2021, 11:38 am

Moderator Message:
This asks for advice rather than a simple answer, so it's better suited to the Legal Issues board. Moved, with shadow left (chas49)

Hi I filled in a form online just before the ppi deadline to claim ppi on behalf of my deseased mother.with ingenious legal.they never asked for any paperwork I never heard anymore and forgot all about it.and about 2months ago received an email telling me they had received quite a large payout from the Yorkshire bank.they now want photos of the death certificate the will and my birth certificate as proof of who I am,as I don't have a passport or driving licence.i also had an email an text telling me I needed to pay there fee or debt collection would become involved but have spoken to them and they have put a hold on my account untill I send the pictures of the documents.what I'm concerned about is this being a scam,and someone then having pictures of my documents.any advice gratefully received thanks Laura

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Re: Ppi help

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » February 24th, 2021, 3:21 pm

That actually sounds legitimate.
Death and Birth certificates are public records - anyone can get a copy of yours
Wills can also be public if gone through Probate.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » February 24th, 2021, 3:28 pm

Wouldn't they not deduct the fee from their "success" though? Sounds odd to demand a fee, and threaten "debt collection" for non-payment.

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » February 24th, 2021, 3:32 pm

dealtn wrote:Wouldn't they not deduct the fee from their "success" though? Sounds odd to demand a fee, and threaten "debt collection" for non-payment.

Have they said why they won't do that, assuming you send the document copies?
They probably mean that Yorkshire Bank won't release funds to them without your documents, and if you don't send them you are still liable for their fee since you asked them to do the work.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » February 24th, 2021, 4:04 pm

Moderator Message:
This asks for advice rather than a simple answer, so it's better suited to the Legal Issues board. Moved, with shadow left (chas49)

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » February 24th, 2021, 4:11 pm

Laura wrote:Hi I filled in a form online just before the ppi deadline to claim ppi on behalf of my deseased mother.with ingenious legal.they never asked for any paperwork I never heard anymore and forgot all about it.and about 2months ago received an email telling me they had received quite a large payout from the Yorkshire bank.they now want photos of the death certificate the will and my birth certificate as proof of who I am,as I don't have a passport or driving licence.i also had an email an text telling me I needed to pay there fee or debt collection would become involved but have spoken to them and they have put a hold on my account untill I send the pictures of the documents.what I'm concerned about is this being a scam,and someone then having pictures of my documents.any advice gratefully received thanks Laura

I assume from the details you have given that your mother died before August 2019. Did she leave a will? If so, are you the executor? If you are. has whatever was left in the estate been distributed? If you aren't the executor, I suggest they need to deal with this as the funds would belong to the estate. It may be more complicated if you have agreed to pay a fee and you aren't the executor.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 24th, 2021, 4:16 pm

chas49 wrote:
Moderator Message:

If of any interest, there is a prior topic on this very board concerning this outfit:

viewtopic.php?p=351114#p351114

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”