Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Delays in Online divorce system ?

including wills and probate
Novoiceleft
Lemon Pip

Delays in Online divorce system ?

Postby Novoiceleft » May 9th, 2021, 8:09 pm

Dear all

I wonder if anybody has knowledge of the online divorce process ?

My wife and I reached a settlement - it just then needed to be enacted by the legal system. My wife is the petitioner, I am the respondent. My wife's solicitor (allegedly) submitted the Petition online last November. Yes LAST NOVEMBER. So nearly 6 months have gone by and I have not yet received it.

My solicitor has chased and chased and chased. My wife's solicitor is claiming there are technical issues with the online Divorce system. I was told 3 weeks ago that the Court had promised to process it as a priority - and still nothing. The delay is causing me all sorts of headaches.

Can anyone shed any light on this ? Is this delay normal? Is this happening to other people? You can read online about "technical issues with the online divorce system." But a six month delay is just not credible any more. I'm starting to suspect incompetence or even something more sinister.

Many thanks

NoVoice

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Delays in Online divorce system ?

Postby staffordian » May 9th, 2021, 9:29 pm

Not sure this is the same sort of issue, but my son's divorce appeared to be going nowhere, with a significant delay waiting for a document to be returned to his solicitor.

From what I recall, it was right at the start of the process, and was something like confirmation from the other party that they wanted to proceed.

Long story short, I rang the divorce centre (can't recall which it was, though having read online it was the one with longest delays). There was just a central enquiry number but they were able to look at processing times etc. for all offices. They said the backlog was something like two or three weeks, and my son had been waiting over two months.

Armed with this my son, who had a case number, was able to make a specific enquiry to find that the divorce centre had processed the documrnt and returned it to his solicitor several weeks previously. Needless to say, it was found in his office, despite several previous assurances that nothing had been received.

So, in a nutshell, get something from the horses mouth yourself, and be wary of what you are being told by others.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”