Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Job Offer - Acceptance/Refusal

including wills and probate
Shenstone

Job Offer - Acceptance/Refusal

Postby Shenstone » September 18th, 2021, 10:33 am

Hi all,
I was approached for a new job role a few weeks ago, I withdrew from the recruitment process as I didn't want to leave my current company but the company came back and persuaded me to talk to them some more.
To cut a long story short, I've had a few discussion with them and then their Recruitment manager the last few days was quite deretmind to get me to accept the role. I did feel a little pressured to accept especially after all the chasing they've done.
I accepted via email and am awaiting the contract but I am now having serious doubts as to whether I am doing the right thing.
As I have accepted via email but not yet received the contract am I in my rights to change my mind?
TIA
Shenstone.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Re: Job Offer - Acceptance/Refusal

Postby Howard » September 18th, 2021, 11:00 am

Yes, you can change your mind.

Moving job can be very stressful, so it's understandable to be concerned.

If you like your current job, it just might be worth discussing the new job offer with your current employer. If you decide to do this, it's probably best to genuinely open up to them about your situation and tell them you like your current situation. Who knows, they might offer you an incentive to stay which will please you both. But don't give the impression you are "blackmailing" them. Just ask them to help you make a decision.

You almost certainly have a little time to make up your mind and shouldn't be pressurised to move.

Good luck in your decision. Hope you get a really good outcome!

Howard

Shenstone

Postby Shenstone » September 18th, 2021, 11:15 am

Thanks Howard.
I have a very good relationship with my manager.
He knows about my situation and we've discussed it. He's even given me his number this weekend to call him if I need to discuss it more.
He's even said if there was a vacancy in the future I could come back if it didn't work out.
I love the people I work with though, the role can be a little tedious but there is uncertainty about our team after a restructure but I have been told by several people that a place would be found for me even if my fears weren't unfounded.

The role I've been offered is something I've wanted to do for a long time but my circumstances have changed in the last 18 months. Namely I'm more focused on retirement and reducing my days in 2-3 years time and any job change would need to be somewhere I could stay.
I took my current job 4 years ago and saw it as my last employer. I'm still ambitious and there are limited opportunities but I also have one eye on eventually reducing my working days.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » September 18th, 2021, 11:41 am

Shenstone

You are right to be thinking hard about this opportunity.

In my personal experience one’s final role before retirement is very important. Hopefully you’ll have a long retirement and will have many occasions to look back on your final job. It will be nice if that is one you enjoyed, especially if you had colleagues you liked working with. As long as your pension arrangements meet your needs, happy memories might be more important than financial implications.

Of course, if you are up for one last challenge then a move and taking a risk might be fun!

regards

Howard

vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Postby vagrantbrain » September 18th, 2021, 3:29 pm

Even if you had signed a contract I doubt any employer would insist that someone turned up on the day knowing that person didn't actually want the job, much rather let that person go and recruit someone else who did want to be there!

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”