Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Selling shares as an executor possible new account

including wills and probate
Backache
2 Lemon pips

Selling shares as an executor possible new account

Postby Backache » November 2nd, 2021, 10:01 am

I am an executor for my mothers estate with a sibling and we now have probate. Her estate is largely in shares which are currently held with a full fee broker. My sibling was wondering whether we could dispose of them more cheaply by transferring to a cheaper broker but we would have to open a new account to do this.
On enquiring at my usual on line broker they cannot handle accounts other than in personal or company names. I would wish to open the account in the name of the estate does any one know any broker who can do this or has other suggestions?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Selling shares as an executor possible new account

Postby mc2fool » November 2nd, 2021, 11:40 am

Backache wrote:I am an executor for my mothers estate with a sibling and we now have probate. Her estate is largely in shares which are currently held with a full fee broker. My sibling was wondering whether we could dispose of them more cheaply by transferring to a cheaper broker but we would have to open a new account to do this.
On enquiring at my usual on line broker they cannot handle accounts other than in personal or company names. I would wish to open the account in the name of the estate does any one know any broker who can do this or has other suggestions?

Don't know, but do check any exit fees from the full fee broker first. Transferring them may be more expensive than just selling them anyway!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 2nd, 2021, 12:06 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Backache wrote:I am an executor for my mothers estate with a sibling and we now have probate. Her estate is largely in shares which are currently held with a full fee broker. My sibling was wondering whether we could dispose of them more cheaply by transferring to a cheaper broker but we would have to open a new account to do this.

Don't know, but do check any exit fees from the full fee broker first. Transferring them may be more expensive than just selling them anyway!

There is also the danger when switching that you lose some history which might be helpful when dealing with the taxman.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 2nd, 2021, 9:36 pm

One possibility would be to transfer the shares into your sole name, so that you could then sell them through your online broker. There's usually no charge by the registrars for a probate transfer.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » November 3rd, 2021, 8:25 am

Open a separate account in your own name, then operate that account in your capacity as executor.

"Separate" here means an account held with a broker that you otherwise have no dealings with. You may have to link that account with your personal current account, but provided you promptly transfer any proceeds to the executors account, (so your bank statement shows identical sums going in then out) no question of impropriety should arise.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”