Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

NHS Dentistry

including wills and probate
JonnyT
Lemon Pip

NHS Dentistry

Postby JonnyT » November 16th, 2021, 2:35 pm

My Autistic adult son hasn't been to a dentist in several years. He now finds himself needing to go but after trying every dentist from the NHS website within a 20 mile radius cannot find one.

The NHS national 111 website also provided no help.

I understand that the Government by statute are required to provide an NHS dentist to anyone who wants one.

Could he go private then make a claim in the County Court (Small Claims section) for difference in charges given the NHS seem unable to provide the service?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: NHS Dentistry

Postby Lootman » November 16th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Did you see this recent topic by any chance?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31781&hilit=dentist

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 16th, 2021, 3:39 pm

JonnyT wrote:
I understand that the Government by statute are required to provide an NHS dentist to anyone who wants one.

without knowing a definitive answer, I can only surmise that

* no, otherwise everyman and his dog would be sueing the government for private work in this manner. I dont hear that happening. (My town has no NHS dentists currently accepting (adult?) patients.

* i suspect there will be a NHS dentist somewhere in the UK that could take him. Even if its 200 miles away. Not that is of use really to you and your son, but nonetheless my (cynical!) guess is that "the govt" could say "there is a NHS dentist - use that one".
( A nearby town has a practise is accepting NHS patients)

* I seem to recall emergency dental treatment on NHS is available in some places with a limited treatment available etc basis. I have used such a service with a raging abcess on a sunday morning, 25 miles away. We got there early more by accident than design and i was 2nd in the queue on a first in, first out basis. By the time I'd had my treatment the waiting room was rammed - at 0925 say . That may as above count as "here's yoru NHS dental provision"

Good luck.

didds

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 16th, 2021, 4:03 pm

JonnyT wrote:My Autistic adult son hasn't been to a dentist in several years. He now finds himself needing to go but after trying every dentist from the NHS website within a 20 mile radius cannot find one.

The NHS national 111 website also provided no help.

Could he go private then make a claim in the County Court (Small Claims section) for difference in charges given the NHS seem unable to provide the service?

I do not understand why people do not sign up with dentists, NHS or private, when the sun is shining rather than wait until they have a problem. However be that as it may be, I expect if he tries hard enough he will find an NHS dentist, probably not a very good one and probably not on his doorstep, but sufficient that even if the Government has a statutory obligation to provide such a service they can say that they have discharged their obligations. My stepson lived in a place about 50 miles from us, had no dentist and then suddenly needed one. We picked him up in considerable discomfort and started searching, My wife was resourceful and eventually found one but by that stage we were looking for a dentist, NHS or private. We found one in a very disreputable part of his city but they would only see him on a private basis. He/we were grateful for that.

Dod

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 16th, 2021, 5:34 pm

JonnyT wrote:I understand that the Government by statute are required to provide an NHS dentist to anyone who wants one.

The NHS Act 2006 appears to cover this. However, the duty (on a CCG) is to

A clinical commissioning group must arrange for the provision of the following to such extent as it considers necessary to meet the reasonable requirements of the persons for whom it has responsibility] —
(a)hospital accommodation,
(b)other accommodation for the purpose of any service provided under this Act,
(c)medical, dental, ophthalmic, nursing and ambulance services,......

I am reasonably confident that the words "to such extent as it considers necessary to meet the reasonable requirements.." would mean that it would be very diffiecult for any individual to claim compensation for not being able to access NHS dentistry provided the CCG has provided those services for some reasonable proportion of the population.

JonnyT
Lemon Pip

Postby JonnyT » November 17th, 2021, 2:45 pm

So far I'm unable to find a dentist for my Son. I've asked 111 to provide one as per the escalation procedure listed on their site and they have just said do it yourself.

The NHS seems to be Covid or nothing at present.

I had to go private for surgery myself last week as the NHS wouldn't treat me until my condition became life threatening which I was told it would within six months.

I'm totally disgusted with the NHS and will vote for anyone who will abolish it as its no longer fit for any purpose.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 17th, 2021, 2:57 pm

JonnyT wrote:I had to go private for surgery myself last week as the NHS wouldn't treat me until my condition became life threatening which I was told it would within six months.

I'm totally disgusted with the NHS and will vote for anyone who will abolish it as its no longer fit for any purpose.

Political views on this will get the topic banished elsewhere, but of course you are correct. The idea that we can all get high-quality unlimited on-demand healthcare with somebody else paying for it was always doomed.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » November 17th, 2021, 3:49 pm

I can't see how being upset that you can't get NHS treatment at the moment means you never want to get it in future. People accepting that only private dentistry is any good is driving the system down, and I applaud the people trying to get NHS registrations. My NHS dentist is fine.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 17th, 2021, 4:21 pm

JohnB wrote:I can't see how being upset that you can't get NHS treatment at the moment means you never want to get it in future. People accepting that only private dentistry is any good is driving the system down, and I applaud the people trying to get NHS registrations. My NHS dentist is fine.

Well I am one who subscribes to private dentistry because I can get the dentist and treatment of my choice. Besides which if I relied on NHS dentistry I would make matters even worse for the OP. As Lootman has said a free at point of delivery service simply stimulates an unlimited demand. By definition that cannot be sustainable.

The OP will presumably now have to find a private dentist. Even that may take a bit of doing because of the pent up demand arising from the closures after the various lockdowns.

Dod

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » November 17th, 2021, 4:26 pm

Its often argued that public schools benefit the state sector by taking pupils off their hands. But if all people with influence go private, you can imagine there is little pressure to fund a lower tier properly. Private dentistry is similarly a slippery slope.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 17th, 2021, 4:30 pm

Presumably more time and money has to be spent on Covid precautions these days. Have the NHS rates been increased to take account of this?

Scott.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 17th, 2021, 5:06 pm

swill453 wrote:Presumably more time and money has to be spent on Covid precautions these days. Have the NHS rates been increased to take account of this?

Went to my (NHS) dentist yesterday.

Their "covid precautions" seem to involve removing all but a handful of isolated chairs from the waiting room. If you turn up early, or with a friend, you have to stand outside in the cold until they're ready.

Inside the treatment room always involved infection protocols, so hasn't changed much at all. Though I did notice they had the window open, which must bump up the heating bills.

Gryff

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 17th, 2021, 5:10 pm

gryffron wrote:
swill453 wrote:Presumably more time and money has to be spent on Covid precautions these days. Have the NHS rates been increased to take account of this?

Their "covid precautions" seem to involve removing all but a handful of isolated chairs from the waiting room. If you turn up early, or with a friend, you have to stand outside in the cold until they're ready.

Inside the treatment room always involved infection protocols, so hasn't changed much at all. Though I did notice they had the window open, which must bump up the heating bills.

Mine is not NHS but the extra protocols are checking vaccination status, temperature check, asking health questions, wearing masks except in the chair and air purifiers at each station. Has to add to the costs.

Quite why someone would want to scimp on the cost of healthcare is utterly beyond me. What else is more important to you?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 17th, 2021, 5:33 pm

Lootman wrote:
gryffron wrote:

Mine is not NHS but the extra protocols are checking vaccination status, temperature check, asking health questions, wearing masks except in the chair and air purifiers at each station. Has to add to the costs.

Quite why someone would want to scimp on the cost of healthcare is utterly beyond me. What else is more important to you?

Absolutely and furthermore to expect it all to be free!

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 17th, 2021, 5:45 pm

Dod101 wrote:Absolutely and furthermore to expect it all to be free!

Free in the way you get your bins emptied for free? That you can drive your car on the road for free?

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 17th, 2021, 5:53 pm

swill453 wrote:

Free in the way you get your bins emptied for free? That you can drive your car on the road for free?

Nothing is free. Councils provide rubbish service but of course it comes out of your council tax bills. In the US households pay separately for rubbish takeaway, so there is no reason to do it our way.

I wish my local council prioritised fixing the roads. But instead they spend the money on equality and diversity seminars.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 17th, 2021, 5:56 pm

Lootman wrote:
swill453 wrote:

Nothing is free.

My point exactly.

Scott.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » November 17th, 2021, 6:20 pm

Scott.

No idea on costs, but it has changed processes where we are. Scrape/polish is now manual.

If you need a high speed drill then there are sessions for that, because of the clean up requirements. I think I remember from talking to a dentist friend that there has been a bunch of expenditure on UV cleansing equipment.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » November 17th, 2021, 6:36 pm

JonnyT wrote:I'm totally disgusted with the NHS and will vote for anyone who will abolish it as its no longer fit for any purpose.

Which is exactly what successive Tory governments have been trying to achieve. They’ve serially underfunded it, overburdened the system with crass, largely pointless bureaucracy and “targets”, undermined trust in the medical profession via the media. Demoralised people are leaving, and the remainder have intolerable workloads. At some point HMG will “innocently” say “the public demand change”... and open the bidding. Be careful what you wish for, as I would not wish the American system (who will be the buyers) on anyone.

You’re probably thinking that anything would be better than what you’re currently facing. That’d be wrong.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 17th, 2021, 6:41 pm

Lootman wrote:[ In the US households pay separately for rubbish takeaway, so there is no reason to do it our way.

so what happens if you don't pay? does your rubbish just pile up on the street ?

didds

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”