Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Anonymous letter

including wills and probate
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Anonymous letter

Postby mc2fool » May 13th, 2022, 2:30 pm

brightncheerful wrote:
So if the "threat" in the letter is just along the lines of "if your dog doesn't shut up I'll report you to the police/council" it won't count as a Malicious Communication.

The "threat'' is not aimed at the dog but the writer's perception of the method I've been using when talking to the dog in my self-defence of the dog biting and persisting in biting me. Also to a. lesser extent similarly by Mrs Bnc. Assuming the letter writer is whom we suspect, their concern is that our dog would be suffering distress and confusion.

Ok, but the same applies. If the "threat" is just along the lines of "if you don't stop distressing your dog I'll report you to the police/council" it won't count as a Malicious Communication.

brightncheerful wrote:And just occasionally when puppy needs to let of steam for whatever reason puppy will nip Mrs Bnc's legs and mine and grab our clothing and not let go despite our attempts to get puppy to do so, including sometimes my having to shout. The bulk of the 'noise' is unfortunately in the garden and near the back door so we have now introduced a no-talking zone in those areas: Mrs Bnc and I no talking to each other or the dog. But because the writer has their back door open for much of the time inevitably sound can carry from our house to theirs, For that we have also solved part of the problem by recently having had noise minimising glass fitted in our windows, later this year we shall be have the same installation in the remaining part, thereby rendering our home almost sound-proof.

Another complainant, whom we suspect was the neighbour opposite, did the decent thing (albeit anonymously) and complained to the council which sent us a warning letter. I wrote to the council to apologise and explain the circumstances. A couple of weeks later I apologised to the neighbour opposite, who also have a dog, and whilst the apology was politely received (the neighbour acknowledging it is difficult) they've not spoken to us since. As another resident nearby said we're not missing much. (Indeed, i haven't missed not having casual conversation with them.) And hopefully the opposite persons are now appeased because of the noise minimising effect of our new windows.

Our dog is not the only one around here that barks. Regular barking can be heard from at least 3 other dogs in proximity. I think the anonymous letter writer more concerned at my and Mrs Bnc shouting at our dog (which as i've said, I've now stopped doing) than anything else; Mrs Bnc however can sometimes be heard to emit a high-pitched scream as she tries to dissuade dog from biting her. usually only a consequence of my restraining the dog and calming it does the dog let go and calm.

So, sorry, there seem to be two things in there: (a) noise, i.e. you and Mrs Bnc shouting, and (b) perceived animal "cruelty", and I'm not clear on which the complainants are complaining about. I guess it could be the two... What did the council receive a complaint and send you a warning about?

In any case, it really sounds like rather than spending your money on fingerprinting and trying to sting the complainant with malicious communications, you'd be better off all round getting advice from a dog behaviourist, no? Looks like here's a place to start: https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/general/findabehaviourist

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » May 13th, 2022, 2:56 pm

mc2fool wrote: you'd be better off all round getting advice from a dog behaviourist,

Seconded.

Dogs aren't humans and don't interpret things the same way we do. If you want a pet that's a pleasure, rather than a pain in the (choose body part being bitten) then I really would get a professional on board.

The alternative is having to make a tough decision that this dog is not for you, which would be a shame if all it needs is a bit of redirection...

I do remember being advised that with a puppy, if it is biting you, that showing distress, e.g. by emitting a small cry of pain, could be effective, but that shouldn't be loud enough to disturb the neighbours. We were also told to "disengage" with inappropriate behaviour, so if the play became too rough, we'd turn our backs and stop responding until things had calmed down. Shouting was ruled out. Not to be used, ever. A chap who lives up the road from us takes his dogs walking in a local dell (a bit of forest between fields) and I regularly hear him shouting at the dogs to come back.... for the whole time I'm in earshot, walking the perimeter with my own dog.

Good luck by the way, and keep us (and your neighbour) posted.

VRD

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 13th, 2022, 4:50 pm

I would respectfully suggest that what is needed here is dog training classes, these of course are aimed at training the owners rather than the dogs. You are clearly doing something fundamentally wrong in your approach to this dog, obviously with the best of intentions but with the worst of outcomes.

A dog needs to understand and respect the alpha of the pack and clearly in your pack the dog is the alpha at the moment, this needs to change.

Videos on youtube the like of this will demonstrate.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... l+episodes

What you need is dog whispering rather than dog shouting.

John

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 13th, 2022, 8:12 pm

brightncheerful wrote:...the dog biting and persisting in biting me.

Our local dogs are, fortunately, not barkers.

Recalling when past cats were naughty... you might try a water pistol, a squirt in the face.
The dog's, not the wife's.

V8

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”