Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

False motor accident accusation

including wills and probate
GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: False motor accident accusation

Postby GoSeigen » July 29th, 2022, 12:47 pm

Spet0789 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:Don't give the police any information whatsoever**, whether an alibi, pictures or anything else, just ask them to give you evidence that their charge is correct. They are the idiots wasting your time in this situation. Don't let them persuade you that somehow you have an obligation. You are entirely innocent in the whole affair and being given a headache by someone else's mistake or misdeeds.

Hope it goes away quickly and quietly.

GS
(**)They will take advantage of even the tiniest thing you say. They once came to my house at 11pm; all I did was answer in the affirmative that we had a foreign child staying with us (how could it hurt to answer such a simple question??), next thing I'm told he's been accused of something and being threatened with an immediate full search of my house for evidence in the middle of the night if I didn't cooperate further with their enquiries. Nightmare and expensive -- would have been better to shut up and tell them to come back at a sensible time to ask questions.

I would strongly disagree with this suggestion.

Firstly, the tone - GS is immediately assuming the police are idiots and treating them as so. This is NOT a good idea. People don't like being treated like idiots so best not to provoke them, especially not if they are in a position of authority.

What we know is someone has reported an incident to the police quoting your vehicle Reg. That is all we know. The Police have followed their standard procedure in tracing the registered keeper and informing them of the situation. There is also the Offence of failing to stop after an accident, and you might have been unaware of hitting someone depending upon the vehicle/trailer/caravan and circumstances.

The ball is now firmly in your court to respond, in this case to inform them that there has been an error. This could be either by mistake in recording the reg no, a cloned vehicle, or someone maliciously reporting your vehicle for some other reason.

Paul

I agree with this. The Police are acting entirely reasonably given the vehicle registration they have been given. I would simply reply briefly and courteously stating that you (and your car) were [whereever] on the day in question and offer to provide them with any assistance you can in clearing the matter up.

This is poor advice IMO. The police are idiots, if that is not obvious from the past few years in the UK then perhaps people have been living in some foreign nirvana. The police are not your neighbour, they are an arm of the state with IMO excessive powers these days (and the rights of ordinary people seriously eroded). The less we have to do with them the better. In all my recent interactions with UK plod my attempts to "cooperate" or illicit help from them have backfired and caused me grief for no good reason at all. They are systemically incompetent, corrupt, abusive and prejudiced due to years of manipulation to achieve political aims, to the extent that they cause huge amounts of stress to completely innocent people in the name of clamping down on so-called trouble-makers. I'm a great believer in assuming good faith but when an organisation has shown repeatedly that they don't assume good faith and further, they themselves repeatedly act corruptly then the assumption rightly falls away.

GS
[In another incident, I myself called the police to report an accident in the hope that they would record the evidence that corroborated my innocence in the incident. Instead they place me under criminal investigation, which was eventually dropped but not before causing stress and expense. So much for police "acting entirely reasonably" -- there really is no way to accurately judge this without gaining further knowledge about what they are up to. The very fact that they've approached entirely the wrong person without first doing a decent investigation is prima facie unreasonable in itself.]

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » July 29th, 2022, 1:17 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
Spet0789 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:Don't give the police any information whatsoever**, whether an alibi, pictures or anything else, just ask them to give you evidence that their charge is correct. They are the idiots wasting your time in this situation. Don't let them persuade you that somehow you have an obligation. You are entirely innocent in the whole affair and being given a headache by someone else's mistake or misdeeds.

Hope it goes away quickly and quietly.

GS
(**)They will take advantage of even the tiniest thing you say. They once came to my house at 11pm; all I did was answer in the affirmative that we had a foreign child staying with us (how could it hurt to answer such a simple question??), next thing I'm told he's been accused of something and being threatened with an immediate full search of my house for evidence in the middle of the night if I didn't cooperate further with their enquiries. Nightmare and expensive -- would have been better to shut up and tell them to come back at a sensible time to ask questions.

I would strongly disagree with this suggestion.

Firstly, the tone - GS is immediately assuming the police are idiots and treating them as so. This is NOT a good idea. People don't like being treated like idiots so best not to provoke them, especially not if they are in a position of authority.

What we know is someone has reported an incident to the police quoting your vehicle Reg. That is all we know. The Police have followed their standard procedure in tracing the registered keeper and informing them of the situation. There is also the Offence of failing to stop after an accident, and you might have been unaware of hitting someone depending upon the vehicle/trailer/caravan and circumstances.

The ball is now firmly in your court to respond, in this case to inform them that there has been an error. This could be either by mistake in recording the reg no, a cloned vehicle, or someone maliciously reporting your vehicle for some other reason.

Paul

I agree with this. The Police are acting entirely reasonably given the vehicle registration they have been given. I would simply reply briefly and courteously stating that you (and your car) were [whereever] on the day in question and offer to provide them with any assistance you can in clearing the matter up.

This is poor advice IMO. The police are idiots, if that is not obvious from the past few years in the UK then perhaps people have been living in some foreign nirvana. The police are not your neighbour, they are an arm of the state with IMO excessive powers these days (and the rights of ordinary people seriously eroded). The less we have to do with them the better. In all my recent interactions with UK plod my attempts to "cooperate" or illicit help from them have backfired and caused me grief for no good reason at all. They are systemically incompetent, corrupt, abusive and prejudiced due to years of manipulation to achieve political aims, to the extent that they cause huge amounts of stress to completely innocent people in the name of clamping down on so-called trouble-makers. I'm a great believer in assuming good faith but when an organisation has shown repeatedly that they don't assume good faith and further, they themselves repeatedly act corruptly then the assumption rightly falls away.

GS
[In another incident, I myself called the police to report an accident in the hope that they would record the evidence that corroborated my innocence in the incident. Instead they place me under criminal investigation, which was eventually dropped but not before causing stress and expense. So much for police "acting entirely reasonably" -- there really is no way to accurately judge this without gaining further knowledge about what they are up to. The very fact that they've approached entirely the wrong person without first doing a decent investigation is prima facie unreasonable in itself.]

Sounds like you have had a very specific negative experience which has coloured your judgment.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 29th, 2022, 1:46 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
This is poor advice IMO. The police are idiots,

You are entitled to your opinion, however whether they are or aren't idiots is irrelevant.

What is relevant is not to poke a stick at someone who has the powers they do, because if you treat them like idiots, they are likely to treat you likewise.

Personally I'd rather send a letter saying where my vehicle was and pointing out there is a mistake, rather than risk being stopped in the outside lane of the M6 by 5 police cars and have my vehicle impounded for a forensic investigation.

Paul

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » July 29th, 2022, 2:37 pm

Moderator Message:
Please stick to the topic - which is what the OP should or should not do in response to the letter. Discussion of the nature of UK policing etc is off-topic for this board. (chas49)

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » July 31st, 2022, 10:47 am

MaraMan wrote:I have today received a letter from a regional police force notifying me of an RTC allegedly involving my vehicle. They say someone was injured in a car park by my car and I drove off. This incident occured 200 miles away from where I live and I have never been to the town in question. Clearly either my car registration number has been wrongly noted or it has been cloned.

I am not sure what to do, the police say I must advise my insurers, which of course I will do, but in the first instance I have contaced my Motor Legal protection insurers, is that the right thing to do? I am concerned that this is an injury claim and I am being accused of not stopping, which I think might be an offence.

Any thoughts or info would be much appreciated.
MM

Are you sure that the letter is genuine?

T7

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » July 31st, 2022, 12:28 pm

Thanks everyone for all the input. I did in fact contact my motor insurers and my legal expenses insurers, I believe you are obliged to inform them and in fact the letter from the Police says that the incident is registered on the MIB systems which are used by insurers to confirm loss history.

I too have had limited but mixed experience with the police. I few years ago a drunk uninsured young man smashed his car into mine while it was parked on our drive at 3am. The police did come and find the young man (he had scarpered but stupidly left a for sale sign in the car with his phone number), anyway they did speak to me the next day but only really to say the bloke wasn't a wrong 'un and was joining the army, that didn't help with the huge claim on my insurance I had to make, the massive amout of incovenience and the subsequent increase in premiums. It would have been nice to have heard that they were going to throw the book at him, but he was a straw man and losing his license won't matter when he's in the army. I expect he got a modest fine and a ban, but I will never know.

Anyway, I did check the letter was legit and in my subsequent emails the PC concerned has been very responsive and engaged and I have told her that I have evidence that I was not in the City concerned and that I could not have been as it is a 4 hour drive. I have told her what evidence I have. There was no CCTV in the car park where the incident took place (it is an injury matter), so she is digging out the ANPR records which should show that I was not within 200 miles of the incident. I hope that will be the end of it, but that may not prevent a civil claim against me.

My insurers seemed unconcerned and said from time to time a registration is taken down wrongly and hopefully this is what has happened. However of course it could be (a) a scam or (b) my car plate has been cloned. The police confirmed that the claimant correctly identified the make model and colour of the car concerned, which is the same as mine. I am hoping that the distinctive stickers I have in my windscreen will clearly show up on the ANPR images, or not.

Thanks again

MM

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 31st, 2022, 12:37 pm

...I assume you can also be sure there was no chance of somebody else using your car at the relevant time?

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » July 31st, 2022, 12:55 pm

Yes the car was on our drive all day.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 31st, 2022, 2:08 pm

if it does go further most car these days record the location (and a whole lot more) of the car
https://thevirtualforge.com/blog/telematics-data/

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 31st, 2022, 2:42 pm

MaraMan wrote:The police confirmed that the claimant correctly identified the make model and colour of the car concerned, which is the same as mine. I am hoping that the distinctive stickers I have in my windscreen will clearly show up on the ANPR images, or not.

So the only witness identifying your vehicle is the claimant, i.e. the person who was injured and is seeking redress?

And they got the make, model and colour right so it is unlikely that it is a clone of the numberplate. Whilst writing down the wrong number plate would also surely lead to a different vehicle description.

The plot thickens. I might think that someone who knows your vehicle details was out to frame or scam you. But then why do that hundreds of miles away from you?

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » July 31st, 2022, 3:13 pm

Lootman wrote:
MaraMan wrote:The police confirmed that the claimant correctly identified the make model and colour of the car concerned, which is the same as mine. I am hoping that the distinctive stickers I have in my windscreen will clearly show up on the ANPR images, or not.

So the only witness identifying your vehicle is the claimant, i.e. the person who was injured and is seeking redress?

And they got the make, model and colour right so it is unlikely that it is a clone of the numberplate. Whilst writing down the wrong number plate would also surely lead to a different vehicle description.

The plot thickens. I might think that someone who knows your vehicle details was out to frame or scam you. But then why do that hundreds of miles away from you?

If I was going to clone someone else's car number plate I would certainly try to use the number of a car of the same make, model and colour. That would make detection far less likely. So I think it very probably is a case of cloning.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 31st, 2022, 4:03 pm

Lootman wrote:And they got the make, model and colour right so it is unlikely that it is a clone of the numberplate.

If I was going to clone a numberplate to stick on my car then I would make sure the one I cloned was the same make, model, and colour as mine, as the fewer clues mine is a clone the better and it far less likely I will get a ‘tug’ from a police officer querying why my registration is for a blue car and the car is red.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 31st, 2022, 4:09 pm

AF62 wrote:and it far less likely I will get a ‘tug’ from a police officer

'Tugs' from the police seem to be quite rare these days, they seemed far more commonplace 30-40 years ago
I wonder if that is now they can tell of the car is taxed, insured and mot'd before pulling you over

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 31st, 2022, 4:10 pm

MaraMan wrote:This incident occured 200 miles away from where I live and I have never been to the town in question.

MaraMan wrote:Yes the car was on our drive all day.

Given the proliferation of government operated ANPR cameras across the country and that it would be virtually impossible to drive 200 miles without triggering a single one, then I would be asking the police whether they have checked the ANPR cameras and to show you where ‘your’ car triggered them whilst driving the 200 miles from the scene of the accident to your home.

And if they said they hadn’t checked or declined to provide the evidence, then that would be the end my conversation with them.

They have to prove their case, not you prove your innocence.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 31st, 2022, 4:16 pm

pje16 wrote:

'Tugs' from the police seem to be quite rare these days, they seemed far more commonplace 30-40 years ago
I wonder if that is now they can tell of the car is taxed, insured and mot'd before pulling you over

Certainly will be a factor.

Drive a taxed, insured, and mot’d car sensibly and you will probably never be stopped.

Drive a car with one of those defects, or no seatbelt, or illegally tinted windows, or no number plate, etc. and you might as well have an illuminated sign on the roof saying ‘please stop me’ - although certain communities seem to think this is a breach of their human rights.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 31st, 2022, 4:24 pm

AF62 wrote:Drive a car with one of those defects, or no seatbelt, or illegally tinted windows, or no number plate, etc. and you might as well have an illuminated sign on the roof saying ‘please stop me’ - although certain communities seem to think this is a breach of their human rights.

Agreed...
but there do seem to a lof more self righteous pillocks around today, again far more than yesteryear

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 31st, 2022, 5:24 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:
Lootman wrote:

If I was going to clone someone else's car number plate I would certainly try to use the number of a car of the same make, model and colour. That would make detection far less likely. So I think it very probably is a case of cloning.

I hadn't really heard of this cloning thing before. What is the point of it given that the cloner has to go to a lot of trouble to discover all the details of the OP's vehicle. And presumably that cloner would not be able to register, tax or insure the vehicle. So what are they up to? Where is the profit?

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » July 31st, 2022, 5:37 pm

Lootman wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
Lootman wrote:

I hadn't really heard of this cloning thing before. What is the point of it given that the cloner has to go to a lot of trouble to discover all the details of the OP's vehicle. And presumably that cloner would not be able to register, tax or insure the vehicle. So what are they up to? Where is the profit?

No tax or insurance, and any motoring offence lands at someone else's door!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 31st, 2022, 5:45 pm

Lootman wrote:I hadn't really heard of this cloning thing before. What is the point of it given that the cloner has to go to a lot of trouble to discover all the details of the OP's vehicle. And presumably that cloner would not be able to register, tax or insure the vehicle. So what are they up to? Where is the profit?

Firstly, cloning is little trouble. Go on Autotrader to find the same make and colour, then go online and order a set of plates. 10 mins and £20. The cloner doesn't need to tax, MOT, or insure the vehicles, because the legitimate owner of the original will have done all that, so as far as the ANPR is concerned the car is legit. The cloner will also not have to bother paying any parking/speed camera fines. The clone could also be stolen.

It is probably quite rare that the cloner will bother to change the VIN and body stamps to match another car - that is 'ringing' and is generally done to higher value stolen vehicles.

Paul

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 31st, 2022, 5:49 pm

pje16 wrote:

They know all that. Told me so when they pulled me over for a defective rear light (I didn't know there was a problem, so was grateful for it).

And that incident is dated by the fact that it's 20 years since I had a car at all.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”