Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Thumbs up for a binding contract

including wills and probate
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Thumbs up for a binding contract

Postby Clitheroekid » July 6th, 2023, 10:34 pm

This was an interesting case from Canada (which has very similar civil law to our own) - https://www.legalcheek.com/2023/07/thum ... ian-court/

It'll be interesting to see whether the same conclusion would be reached in an English court, but I'd be fairly confident that in the same circumstances it would.

However, I can see a whole new jurisprudence developing as to the interpretation of the meaning of different emojis - it's only a matter of time before the Supreme Court rules on whether a smiling emoji means "Yes, I'm happy to agree" or "You're 'avin' a larf!"

:D (or :( as the case may be)

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Re: Thumbs up for a binding contract

Postby Spet0789 » July 10th, 2023, 10:56 am

Clitheroekid wrote:This was an interesting case from Canada (which has very similar civil law to our own) - https://www.legalcheek.com/2023/07/thum ... ian-court/

It'll be interesting to see whether the same conclusion would be reached in an English court, but I'd be fairly confident that in the same circumstances it would.

However, I can see a whole new jurisprudence developing as to the interpretation of the meaning of different emojis - it's only a matter of time before the Supreme Court rules on whether a smiling emoji means "Yes, I'm happy to agree" or "You're 'avin' a larf!"

:D (or :( as the case may be)

Feels sensible to me. A contract can be agreed in lots of ways. It’s the intent that’s important.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”