Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

More joy for [private landlords

including wills and probate
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

More joy for [private landlords

Postby Clitheroekid » July 24th, 2023, 4:08 pm

As if private landlords didn't have enough regulations to deal with here's the next hurdle to arrive - https://www.lexology.com/library/detail ... &utm_term=

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: More joy for [private landlords

Postby Lootman » July 24th, 2023, 4:22 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:As if private landlords didn't have enough regulations to deal with here's the next hurdle to arrive - https://www.lexology.com/library/detail ... &utm_term=

It is twenty years since I decided that the burdens of being a BTL investor were becoming too much. So I started a process of selling off my housing units. It took nearly 7 years to fully get out as I had to get rid of the long-term tenants and replace them with short-term tenants, and then sell with vacant possession.

In that intervening 20 years things continued to get worse with deposit protection (2007?) and the need for this disclosure and that certificate. Then came adverse tax changes. And now the possible removal of Section 21 and this?

The heyday of BTLs was the 1980s and 1990s. It has been downhill since then. I was fortunate to get in early, make good returns and then get out early. It feels like the government does not really want small private landlords at all. And we will have only professional companies in the business. So sad.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » July 24th, 2023, 4:32 pm

Lootman wrote:
Clitheroekid wrote:As if private landlords didn't have enough regulations to deal with here's the next hurdle to arrive - https://www.lexology.com/library/detail ... &utm_term=

The heyday of BTLs was the 1980s and 1990s. It has been downhill since then.

Indeed. In those days, Location x 3 with Phil and Kirsty never stopped talking about it. I recall them traipsing around some real condemned structures in Wales and banging on about the investment potential.....And they were probably right.

I don't watch the program much these days, but do they even mention BTL now?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 24th, 2023, 4:37 pm

Tedx wrote:
Lootman wrote:The heyday of BTLs was the 1980s and 1990s. It has been downhill since then.

Indeed. In those days, Location x 3 with Phil and Kirsty never stopped talking about it. I recall them traipsing around some real condemned structures in Wales and banging on about the investment potential.....And they were probably right.

I don't know. My sons are keen to buy more properties. But their model is HMOs. They do not need ASTs, so no deposit protection either. Their tenants are effectively lodgers, with fewer rights. But for how long?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 24th, 2023, 4:46 pm

Lootman wrote:
Tedx wrote:Indeed. In those days, Location x 3 with Phil and Kirsty never stopped talking about it. I recall them traipsing around some real condemned structures in Wales and banging on about the investment potential.....And they were probably right.

I don't know. My sons are keen to buy more properties. But their model is HMOs. They do not need ASTs, so no deposit protection either. Their tenants are effectively lodgers, with fewer rights. But for how long?

Yes, it seems that a new generation of landlords is coming in to take up the places being sold off. These younger people are maybe more able to accept the changes that we old timers find so onerous, because it is all they've known.

Frankly, I can't wait to get out, but it always seems "the wrong time" - and the income is still useful, despite everything. A point raised by my wife who has always "vetoed" selling. Not only that, but tenants just aren't moving on as the used to, and I'm not anxious to evict. At one time people moved regularly, but now there is so little choice, they are staying put so I may have to sell on with the tenant included.

Why we are being treated like this when the result is that it helps no one? - and will not solve the intergenerational war which seems to have been one of the spurs for this hate BTLers trend.

Arb.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 24th, 2023, 4:52 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Lootman wrote:I don't know. My sons are keen to buy more properties. But their model is HMOs. They do not need ASTs, so no deposit protection either. Their tenants are effectively lodgers, with fewer rights. But for how long?

Yes, it seems that a new generation of landlords is coming in to take up the places being sold off. These younger people are maybe more able to accept the changes that we old timers find so onerous, because it is all they've known.

Frankly, I can't wait to get out, but it always seems "the wrong time" - and the income is still useful, despite everything. A point raised by my wife who has always "vetoed" selling. Not only that, but tenants just aren't moving on as the used to, and I'm not anxious to evict. At one time people moved regularly, but now there is so little choice, they are staying put so I may have to sell on with the tenant included.

Another good thing about HMOs is that you get constant turnover. Nobody sticks around beyond their stale-by date. :D

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 24th, 2023, 6:01 pm

Lootman wrote:

It is twenty years since I decided that the burdens of being a BTL investor were becoming too much. So I started a process of selling off my housing units. It took nearly 7 years to fully get out as I had to get rid of the long-term tenants and replace them with short-term tenants, and then sell with vacant possession.

In that intervening 20 years things continued to get worse with deposit protection (2007?) and the need for this disclosure and that certificate. Then came adverse tax changes. And now the possible removal of Section 21 and this?

The heyday of BTLs was the 1980s and 1990s. It has been downhill since then. I was fortunate to get in early, make good returns and then get out early. It feels like the government does not really want small private landlords at all. And we will have only professional companies in the business. So sad.

The so called professional landlords can be bad too see Rochdale.

I'm not sure if this is any good for anyone. It's going to increase costs which will end up in higher rents anyway. Like most systems it will get gamed by both sides.

I've been on both sides of the coin and can't see the merit in all this. I don't know when I turned from helping someone with a housing solution into a fatcat bad landlord and all manner of regulations to try and prevent me. Even taxes don't seem "fair"

Still for those that do stick it out the rents will be much higher. I might even charge to view the property these days. There are some big queues. I wonder if I could make more than actual renting.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 24th, 2023, 6:10 pm

Lootman wrote:Another good thing about HMOs is that you get constant turnover. Nobody sticks around beyond their stale-by date. :D

If you are correct in saying the trend is towards HMOs, that doesn't fill me with hope! - my places are not suitable being flats or small houses.

I think the houses would sell well, but maybe not with tenants in.

Arb.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”