Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Land Registry

including wills and probate
UnclePhilip
2 Lemon pips

Land Registry

Postby UnclePhilip » August 28th, 2023, 3:07 pm

After a long wait (nearly 5 months), I received confirmation that the Proprietorship Register on an investment property of ours had been updated to include a restriction relating to our declaration of trust whereby we transfered beneficial ownership to said trust.

However, I forgot to explicitly instruct our solicitor to change our own residential address, so it shows our address from a few years ago. A not uncommon thing, lots of people move.

I do wonder though, with a vague memory of reading about people being scammed, if this is something to be concerned about? And if it's worth the effort to get the address changed in the two sections in the Propietorship Register; is that cheap, easy and, heaven forbid not too long a wait?

Any thoughts, please?

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Land Registry

Postby monabri » August 28th, 2023, 7:42 pm

You can go onto Land Registry to put an alert on the property ( free service).

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/property-alert

"Alert information
We will send you an email alert each time there is significant activity on the property you are monitoring, such as if a new mortgage is taken out against it.

The alert will tell you the type of activity (such as an application to change the register or a notification that an application may be due), who the applicant is and the date and time it has been received.

Not all alert emails will mean fraudulent activity. If you don’t think the alert email is about any suspicious activity, you don’t need to do anything.

Signing up to Property Alert won’t automatically stop fraud from happening. You will need to decide if the activity on the property is potentially fraudulent and act quickly if so. The alert email will tell you who to contact."

y0rkiebar
2 Lemon pips

Postby y0rkiebar » August 28th, 2023, 7:56 pm

Yes, I have alerts setup on my property and my immediate neighbours :ugeek:

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » August 28th, 2023, 8:02 pm

UnclePhilip wrote:After a long wait (nearly 5 months), I received confirmation that the Proprietorship Register on an investment property of ours had been updated to include a restriction relating to our declaration of trust whereby we transfered beneficial ownership to said trust.

However, I forgot to explicitly instruct our solicitor to change our own residential address, so it shows our address from a few years ago. A not uncommon thing, lots of people move.

I do wonder though, with a vague memory of reading about people being scammed, if this is something to be concerned about? And if it's worth the effort to get the address changed in the two sections in the Propietorship Register; is that cheap, easy and, heaven forbid not too long a wait?

Any thoughts, please?

Do you mean that your "address for service" is incorrect?

If yes then pay a visit to go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ct-address

TBH I would be more worried about not being notified about stuff, than being scammed and I'd get the address changed ASAP.

UnclePhilip
2 Lemon pips

Postby UnclePhilip » August 29th, 2023, 11:13 am

Thanks to all, appreciated!

Have filled in COG1, and also set up a Land Registry 'Property Alert'....

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”