Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Water ingress issues with recently bought car

including wills and probate
AyresomeAngel

Water ingress issues with recently bought car

Postby AyresomeAngel » November 2nd, 2023, 2:01 pm

Good afternoon
We bought a 5 year old car in late Aug 2023 through one of the large car supermarkets.
Drives well, but as we were getting to use all the “bells and whistles”, we were finding that many of the electrical items were not working eg navigation, radio, phone screen all works but no sound; driver’s seat adjustments only partially work; a rear light cluster then failed to work. A yellow warning light then appeared (and subsequently disappeared)
When there was a storm two weeks ago, the top of the windscreen leaked considerably such that there were drips on the dashboard and steering wheel. On driving, you could hear water sloshing in the substrate. It became clear why there were electrical faults.
The customer care dept advised us to take the car to the main dealer to put right. They found the void beneath the floor to be full of water.
The estimate for repairs, given in two parts. was a THIRD of the cost of the car so the sellers have put a stop to the main dealer carrying out the repairs, (the repair to the windscreen had already been authorised and carried out) and will bring the car back to their workshops to complete the work.
No doubt, we have been sold a pup, but the seller intends to put right the defects. They have advised that they will give a one year warranty on the parts they rectify. They have advised that they will sanction the main dealer inspecting the work when complete.
We are worried about the long term damage to the car due to the substantial water ingress. We intend to tow a trailer plus large horse in future. Is the bodywork at risk in 3, 5, 7 years time. There is no warranty for that.
Do we have recourse to return the car and ask for money back as it was not fit for purpose or is the fact that the seller is putting right the defects a solution that is as good as we may expect (although we do not know the long term problems).
Maybe we should be looking for long term guarantees.
Your views would be welcomed
Kind regards

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Re: Water ingress issues with recently bought car

Postby Dicky99 » November 2nd, 2023, 2:14 pm

Have you taken steps to establish if it's been an insurance write off which it may have been if it's suffered serious flood damage. I think dealers are obliged to declare to a potential buyer if a car has been written off.
If it had and they didn't it could strengthen your case.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 2nd, 2023, 2:42 pm

No expert here, but the guidance I once got from a trading standards officer was that the product sold to you should have been at least fit for purpose on the day when it was sold to you. (Leaving aside any other rights that you might have had in your contract.)

So, if it emerges three months down the line that the windscreen wasn't watertight at the time of sale ,and that the electronics were eternally doomed to play up as a result, then in principle you should be able to return the car for a refund. Try websites like Honest John or the RAC for further info about how it's done.

BJ, barrack-room lawyer, Pyongyang 1952 (failed) :?

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » November 2nd, 2023, 6:00 pm

I'd ask in one or both of the following boards on MSE if I were you:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/ca ... mer-rights
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/ca ... s/motoring

Moderator Message:
These are doubtless useful links. I will just gently point out the following site rule:

"Posting of links to 3rd party sites is acceptable where it is entirely relevant to the discussion. However, any links promoting a 3rd party site are not allowed"

IMHO these links are just about within the rules, but probably not to be encouraged in general. Just something to bear in mind please (chas49)

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » November 2nd, 2023, 8:21 pm

AyresomeAngel wrote:Good afternoon
We bought a 5 year old car in late Aug 2023 through one of the large car supermarkets.
Drives well, but as we were getting to use all the “bells and whistles”, we were finding that many of the electrical items were not working eg navigation, radio, phone screen all works but no sound; driver’s seat adjustments only partially work; a rear light cluster then failed to work. A yellow warning light then appeared (and subsequently disappeared)
When there was a storm two weeks ago, the top of the windscreen leaked considerably such that there were drips on the dashboard and steering wheel. On driving, you could hear water sloshing in the substrate. It became clear why there were electrical faults.

Goodness! I didn't know the Austin Princess was still being produced five years ago...

;-)

GS

tacpot12
2 Lemon pips

Postby tacpot12 » November 3rd, 2023, 2:26 pm

Unfortunately, because it took more than 30 days for the fault to appear, you have to give the seller one chance to repair the fault, and there is no right to a refund (under the consumer rights act 2015 because the fault may cause consequential damage that might take a few years to appear.

If you have legal expenses cover as part of your home insurance, you could discuss with the legal helpline whether there is any chance you could sue them for a refund in the Small Claims Court on some basis other that the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

The alternative is to ask them to refund you a substantial portion of the cost as a good will gesture. This might mean accepting a substantial discount for the time you've had the car, e.g. 20%. I think I would prefer this to worrying about what damage the water might have done.

AyresomeAngel

Postby AyresomeAngel » November 3rd, 2023, 3:47 pm

Many thanks for your prompt replies.
I think we may struggle being able to return the car as the windscreen leak was not immediately apparent due to decent weather. We have also given the seller the opportunity to put right the defects… which he is doing. Maybe there are warranties to be given going forward and maybe a bit of recompense.
Thank you

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » November 4th, 2023, 11:06 am

I've had older cars where water got in for various reasons and have contended with sodden carpet in the footwells. Eventually things started to wear out and become beyond economic repair - but nothing related to the water ingress. Certainly the floor didn't crumble or anything like that. I suspect you are probably worrying about something that will never happen. Ask them to take a look when making the repairs. And perhaps run it for another couple of years then trade it in, for your peace of mind. Though you'll probably have stopped thinking about it by this point.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 4th, 2023, 11:17 am

Try the Citizens Advice Bureau for help.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 4th, 2023, 11:17 am

MrFoolish wrote:I've had older cars where water got in for various reasons and have contended with sodden carpet in the footwells. Eventually things started to wear out and become beyond economic repair - but nothing related to the water ingress. Certainly the floor didn't crumble or anything like that. I suspect you are probably worrying about something that will never happen. Ask them to take a look when making the repairs. And perhaps run it for another couple of years then trade it in, for your peace of mind. Though you'll probably have stopped thinking about it by this point.

Hmm, in this case it's water ingress onto the electrics, which is already causing electrical problems.

If it was me, one way or another I wouldn't want to drive the car for much longer.

Scott.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » November 4th, 2023, 11:23 am

swill453 wrote:
MrFoolish wrote:I've had older cars where water got in for various reasons and have contended with sodden carpet in the footwells. Eventually things started to wear out and become beyond economic repair - but nothing related to the water ingress. Certainly the floor didn't crumble or anything like that. I suspect you are probably worrying about something that will never happen. Ask them to take a look when making the repairs. And perhaps run it for another couple of years then trade it in, for your peace of mind. Though you'll probably have stopped thinking about it by this point.

Hmm, in this case it's water ingress onto the electrics, which is already causing electrical problems.

If it was me, one way or another I wouldn't want to drive the car for much longer.

Scott.

I was under the impression they are repairing the electrics and the OP is now concerned about the bodywork.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”