Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Dying tidily: Octopus Investments: 'What I own and where I keep it'

including wills and probate
yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Dying tidily: Octopus Investments: 'What I own and where I keep it'

Postby yorkshirelad1 » January 4th, 2024, 11:13 pm

For info: another of those template forms of information that might be useful to compile and leave behind for your executors etc

Dying tidily: Octopus Investments’ 'What I own and where I keep it' form
https://media.octopusinvestments.com/m/3bec2920b3d33504/original/What-I-own-and-where-I-keep-it.pdf

From: IC Fri 29 Dec 2023: "How to create your own pensions dashboard"
https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/pensions/2023/12/27/how-to-create-your-own-pensions-dashboard/ (paywalled)
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Ainvestorschronicle.co.uk+%22How+to+create+your+own+pensions+dashboard%22 (non paywalled)

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dying tidily: Octopus Investments: 'What I own and where I keep it'

Postby mutantpoodle » January 5th, 2024, 8:44 am

imo the Octopus one looks pretty good.
I wouldnt want it stolen though!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 5th, 2024, 9:11 am

mutantpoodle wrote:imo the Octopus one looks pretty good.
I wouldnt want it stolen though!

Very comprehensive, there'll be a lot doesn't apply to most people. For the security conscious you could leave the account numbers off stuff. Of the rest, most info could be garnered from the bin or your filing cabinet anyway.

The contact details for beneficiaries I hadn't thought of, asset wise everything else is on a spreadsheet.

Name of Utilies companies was another interesting one - in these days of online everything my BT and Sky welcome letters are already decades old, and I suspect the contact details for Orange have changed.

But if you really want to die tidily, close those 50 or so old accounts with 17 different providers, many with only a pound or 2 in, chuck out the paperwork for them and if you really want to keep the last sheet as a record then write "CLOSED" and the date across it in big letters so you executor doesn't spend days on the phone to people trying to find out who has merged with who over the years, or send letters all over the place, only to discover that the account was transferred to someone else 10 years earlier.

DAMHIK-IJK-OK?

Paul

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » January 8th, 2024, 12:10 pm

My Dad did this, every 5th April he handwrote a sheet listing all his assets and attached it to the copy will that he kept in his desk drawer. His special sheet tended to be the back of a received envelope on which he had used a paper knife to create the piece of paper (He was waste not want not re paper, string and rubber bands)

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”