Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Restocking and Transportation Fee

including wills and probate
JonnyT
Lemon Pip

Restocking and Transportation Fee

Postby JonnyT » February 7th, 2024, 3:19 pm

I purchased some goods online and the deliveries needed signing for. AT the time I was undergoing Radiotherapy early morning and getting back home 11am ish.
After the first delivery attempt prior to 11am I contacted the company and stated my situation. They essentially stated nothing we can do about it. Next day same thing happened, so I contacted them back and cancelled the order. First of all they claimed I couldn't cancel until I reminded them of the Sale of Good Act distant selling rules. They then accepted my cancellation and said I would be refunded when the good were returned.
The courier also left a note saying they wouldn't attempt re-delivery after the two failed attempts.

Next day I was home and the courier tried to deliver again. I refused delivery stating rightly that I'd cancelled the order.

Weeks later I still hadn't been refunded. Today after threatening County Court they refunded about half my purchase price and said the rest was consumed by courier and restocking costs.

Should they not give me a full refund under the Sale of Goods Act - Distance selling regulations?

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Restocking and Transportation Fee

Postby Gerry557 » February 7th, 2024, 5:53 pm

Not necessarily. Have you checked the terms and conditions.

Whilst some organisations don't charge directly they might add on a bit on everything they sell to cover a few refunds. Others do charge directly.

After all they packed up your order, posted it, received it back, checked it was still sellable, reboxed it and placed it back into storage. All this has a cost. Your own situation isn't really their problem.

Amazon is huge so can absorb some of this, and mum and pop shop it can be a big issue.

Often you can redirect deliveries to a collection point which you can visit at your own convenience.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”