Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Tesco offer Question

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Tesco offer Question

Postby DrFfybes » November 25th, 2021, 7:16 pm

On the Tesco website there is a Clubcard Price, and then it says "buy 6 or more save 25% clubcard price".

Does this mean you save 25% on top of the clubcard prices, or 25% on the normal price?

If the former then I can see quite a bit of 1000 Stories Zinfandel coming out way :)

Lat time Sainsburys had it down from £15 to £12 and another 255 off that, which was a bargain, also did the same with the Beronia Gran Reserva :)

Thanks

Paul

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tesco offer Question

Postby Watis » November 25th, 2021, 7:45 pm

DrFfybes wrote:On the Tesco website there is a Clubcard Price, and then it says "buy 6 or more save 25% clubcard price".

Does this mean you save 25% on top of the clubcard prices, or 25% on the normal price?

If the former then I can see quite a bit of 1000 Stories Zinfandel coming out way :)

Lat time Sainsburys had it down from £15 to £12 and another 255 off that, which was a bargain, also did the same with the Beronia Gran Reserva :)

Thanks

Paul

Having taken advantage of this offer, I can confirm that you get a further 25% off the Clubcard price of each bottle.

A Clubcard seems to be a requirement for the 25% offer, as well as, obviously, to get the Clubcard price on each individual bottle.

I've noted recently that nearly all offers are now only available to Clubcard holders, but that is made clear on the price tickets.

Watis

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 26th, 2021, 1:11 am

Tesco have decided in effect to become a clubcard-only shop.

With a clubcard, their prices in general are competitive. Without one they quite clearly aren't. I gave up using them for general shopping.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 26th, 2021, 3:51 pm

I've also had both the discounts together. That's the lower price for CC members, and the 25% off on top if you buy six. So an £8 bottle of Chilean red drops to £6, and then to £4.50 if you're buying six bottles.

I was, however, interested enough to sign out from my account to see whether non-CCers were being told the same thing as me? And they are. But surely that is going to leave a lot of non-cardholders feeling as though a glass door has been banged in their faces?

Imagine being told that the price for you is eight quid, but that others are getting it for barely half that. It might make me sign up for a Tesco card, but then again I might say sod'em and bugger off to somewhere else that didn't choose to deliberately annoy me. Seems like bad PR, really.

What I do appreciate about my Tesco Clubcard is getting £15 or £20 quid back in vouchers every few months. It would almost seem rude not to spend it on something I wouldn't normally buy, such as whisky. ;)

BJ

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 26th, 2021, 6:29 pm

Thanks - got £65 off our shopping with the clubcard. Even bought some food :)

FWIW I rarely go to Tesco, as I have to drive several miles past Sainsburys, Asda, Morissons, and Lidl to get there, but today was Vaccine Booster day and the tip is out that way.

Re the Clubcard deal - having not been in Tesco for a whle I was surprised how much cheaper things seemed that Sains and Morissons, even without the card discount they were on a par, and very cheap with it. Notably bread, wine gums, and broccoli were cheap. We always use store loyalty cards, but I've gone off Morissons as you don't get points any more (which used to give vouchers) and the vouchers are sent electronically and you have to activate them online before you shop, so unless you print out the email or use their app and walk about with a smartphone in your hand you've no idea what your offers are, and if you shop for someone else as well you lose their offers.

So, 1000 stories for £9 a bottle and 19 Crimes Uprising for £6. INterestingly I thought 19 Crimes referred to the criminals depoorted to Oz, what are they suggesting about an ageing rap star and well know food delivery service ambassador? :)

Paul

Paul

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » November 26th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Enquired about this today and the offer is only available in English Tesco's. Scottish alcohol laws apparently.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 26th, 2021, 7:20 pm

scotview wrote:Enquired about this today and the offer is only available in English Tesco's. Scottish alcohol laws apparently.

Of course, in Scotland, minimal alcohol prices prevail. Why would they not? That is the point of them.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 26th, 2021, 9:56 pm

Dod101 wrote:
scotview wrote:Enquired about this today and the offer is only available in English Tesco's. Scottish alcohol laws apparently.

Of course, in Scotland, minimal alcohol prices prevail. Why would they not? That is the point of them.

Dod

Having sent a couple of different bottles of gin to family this past month I've only just remembered the minimum pricing thing.
Do they consider online orders at all for it?
If so do they look at the address of the supplier? the recipient? or the customer?

-sd

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 26th, 2021, 10:58 pm

servodude wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Having sent a couple of different bottles of gin to family this past month I've only just remembered the minimum pricing thing.
Do they consider online orders at all for it?
If so do they look at the address of the supplier? the recipient? or the customer?

-sd

I have no idea but I have a friend whom I visit occasionally who lives about three miles from Berwick upon Tweed, but within Scotland. When I see him I always stop off at Morrisons and buy two or three litres of whisky and ditto of gin. The cost is 20% less than the Scottish price. It is a bit like the wine tours of Calais some years back.

Dod

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 28th, 2021, 2:13 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Re the Clubcard deal - having not been in Tesco for a whle I was surprised how much cheaper things seemed that Sains and Morissons, even without the card discount they were on a par, and very cheap with it. Notably bread, wine gums, and broccoli were cheap.

I would hate to see how expensive Sainsbury and Morrisons are then, as Tesco always seems extortionately expensive for things such as bread and vegetables after shopping in Lidl (fortunately we have a modern Lidl - proper tills, helpful staff, well stocked and maintained, etc.).

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 28th, 2021, 3:26 pm

AF62 wrote:I would hate to see how expensive Sainsbury and Morrisons are then, as Tesco always seems extortionately expensive for things such as bread and vegetables after shopping in Lidl (fortunately we have a modern Lidl - proper tills, helpful staff, well stocked and maintained, etc.).

Our local Lidl is a great place to pick up whatever virus is doing the rounds. Mask wearing was one percent the last time I was in there, and that was me. :lol:

But fair enough, our Lidl does excel for some things. Their prices for fruit and veg are good, but don't expect to have a choice for many types of veg, because there isn't one. Their beer deals are good, although I've yet to find a wine offer that matches up for quality. Bread is mainly white sliced - there are days on end when you won't see brown. :( And the only time I ever bought beef mince from Lidl, both our cats refused to touch it. We wondered whether it was My Lidl Pony. ;)

On the plus side, Lidl's barbecue charcoal is the best value for miles around, but I suppose there won't be much demand for it right now. It's still fun to wander round the specials aisles, though, looking for all the drill sharpeners and right angle wrenches and flip-flops and incontinence corsets, and other stuff that you'll never need. (Hopefully.)

How they do it for the money is beyond me. The last time I was in Lidl-land (Germany), food was expensive!

BJ

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 28th, 2021, 3:40 pm

AF62 wrote:I would hate to see how expensive Sainsbury and Morrisons are then, as Tesco always seems extortionately expensive for things such as bread and vegetables after shopping in Lidl (fortunately we have a modern Lidl - proper tills, helpful staff, well stocked and maintained, etc.).

Are you sure that's a Lidl? I avoid our local Lidaldis because they seem to employ schoolboy cricketers to fast bowl your shopping onto the little shelf as fast as possible.

But if I want some cheap olives, olive oil, a few tins and some Muesli, then I do pop in to Aldi as it is next to the Aquarium shop.

Paul

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 28th, 2021, 3:51 pm

DrFfybes wrote:On the Tesco website there is a Clubcard Price, and then it says "buy 6 or more save 25% clubcard price".
Paul

Many thanks for this Paul
I got the last 12 bottles of the above @£9 instead of £15
cheers !
Paul

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 28th, 2021, 5:44 pm

DrFfybes wrote:

Are you sure that's a Lidl? I avoid our local Lidaldis because they seem to employ schoolboy cricketers to fast bowl your shopping onto the little shelf as fast as possible.

Certainly is.

The new Aldi stores still keep to the ‘hairshirt’ minimum service standards with the tiny tills (which are never staffed) and goods thrown through at a silly rate.

However Lidl has realised that isn’t what UK consumers want, and their new stores which are being built (or refitted) now have proper checkouts which they open far quicker than Aldi so minimum queuing.

bungeejumper wrote:But fair enough, our Lidl does excel for some things. Their prices for fruit and veg are good, but don't expect to have a choice for many types of veg, because there isn't one. Their beer deals are good, although I've yet to find a wine offer that matches up for quality. Bread is mainly white sliced - there are days on end when you won't see brown. :( And the only time I ever bought beef mince from Lidl, both our cats refused to touch it. We wondered whether it was My Lidl Pony. ;)

If that is your experience then there is something wrong with your local Lidl store.

There is a huge choice of fruit and veg at my local store, and unlike the local Waitrose, when the store opens in the morning that section (and to be honest the rest of the store) is perfectly ‘faced up’ for the day’s customers. And as for the meat, it all comes from the same UK suppliers that the other supermarkets get stock from, so your experience is very odd.

But the. Your comment about bread - have you not noticed the in-store bakery which does a huge range of different items? Freshly baked rye bread, sourdough bread, etc. Is the store you are referring to actually a Lidl and not an Aldi or some other discount store?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 28th, 2021, 6:12 pm

AF62 wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:But fair enough, our Lidl does excel for some things. Their prices for fruit and veg are good, but don't expect to have a choice for many types of veg, because there isn't one. Their beer deals are good, although I've yet to find a wine offer that matches up for quality. Bread is mainly white sliced - there are days on end when you won't see brown. :( And the only time I ever bought beef mince from Lidl, both our cats refused to touch it. We wondered whether it was My Lidl Pony. ;)

If that is your experience then there is something wrong with your local Lidl store.

No, it's only a mid-sized store in a rather downmarket area of town. I suppose they're just stocking what they can sell?
Your comment about bread - have you not noticed the in-store bakery which does a huge range of different items? Freshly baked rye bread, sourdough bread, etc.

See above. If there were an in-store bakery, it would be working full-time on sausage rolls. But since there isn't, we're spared that little embarrassment. Oh yes, it's a Lidl all right, but yours is clearly serving a different demographic. Lucky you. ;)

BJ

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 28th, 2021, 7:09 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
AF62 wrote:

No, it's only a mid-sized store in a rather downmarket area of town. I suppose they're just stocking what they can sell?
Your comment about bread - have you not noticed the in-store bakery which does a huge range of different items? Freshly baked rye bread, sourdough bread, etc.

See above. If there were an in-store bakery, it would be working full-time on sausage rolls. But since there isn't, we're spared that little embarrassment. Oh yes, it's a Lidl all right, but yours is clearly serving a different demographic. Lucky you. ;)

BJ

I have never seen a Lidl without an in-store bakery, even with the smallest stores, so it is pretty odd yours doesn’t.

As for selling sausage rolls, I am not sure why that would be the case, as my local Lidl has a far more ‘up-market’ clientele than Tesco and the other supermarkets.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 28th, 2021, 7:27 pm

AF62 wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:
AF62 wrote:If that is your experience then there is something wrong with your local Lidl store.

BJ

I have never seen a Lidl without an in-store bakery, even with the smallest stores, so it is pretty odd yours doesn’t.

As for selling sausage rolls, I am not sure why that would be the case, as my local Lidl has a far more ‘up-market’ clientele than Tesco and the other supermarkets.

Never mind the prices, I find myself quite uncomfortable on the odd occasion I go into one as almost none of the customers wear face coverings - unlike in Tesco where perhaps half do, or M&S/Waitrose where it is perhaps 75%.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 28th, 2021, 7:34 pm

Mike4 wrote:Never mind the prices, I find myself quite uncomfortable on the odd occasion I go into one as almost none of the customers wear face coverings - unlike in Tesco where perhaps half do, or M&S/Waitrose where it is perhaps 75%.

Half the customers in Tesco wearing masks! Not round here they don’t.

Even in Waitrose it is only around 1/3rd do - and virtually none of the staff in any of the stores, including Waitrose and M&S.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 28th, 2021, 7:46 pm

AF62 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Never mind the prices, I find myself quite uncomfortable on the odd occasion I go into one as almost none of the customers wear face coverings - unlike in Tesco where perhaps half do, or M&S/Waitrose where it is perhaps 75%.

Half the customers in Tesco wearing masks! Not round here they don’t.

Even in Waitrose it is only around 1/3rd do - and virtually none of the staff in any of the stores, including Waitrose and M&S.

Lol, where's that then? (In the broadest of terms?)

I'm in a posh(ish) bit of Wiltshire but even so, I'm constantly surprised by how many people around here still mask up to go in shops. And this was before Omicron pitched up on the scene.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 28th, 2021, 7:46 pm

Interesting, I wonder how much will change once it's mandatory again. Here in Scotland it's remained 100% compliance, since we didn't repeal the rules.

Scott.

Return to “Drink”