Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Naked Wine

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Naked Wine

Postby pje16 » January 13th, 2022, 5:38 pm

DrFfybes wrote:In an amazing coincidence, today I got a 'cheque' for "£75 to spend on a case of delicious wine", signed by "James Naked MD".

Obviously there are caveats here, firstly it has to be spent at Naked Wines, secondly it has to be a case worth £114.99 or more, and thirdly (and perhaps rather subjectively) it has to be 'delicious' wines. Quite what happens if I pick a crap one by mistake I'm not sure, maybe they rescind the voucher.
So, any Naked customers got any suggestions for some robust reds or fruity whites, do I gamble £40 (possibly plus P&P) on a dozen bottles, or should I skip straight to the last instruction on the voucher in the bottom right of the reverse..."Please recycle me"
Paul

This is the often the problem with vouchers
It is tempting you to spend £40 you would not have done otherwise
BUT
If the wine is really worth £115 and more importantly you want it then why not go for it

Paul

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 13th, 2022, 11:06 pm

So I went to the website, selected the Big Reds, thought I'd get a mixed dozen around a tenner, so sorted by price.

The wines had a regular price and an Angel price, but all except 2 wines under £13 a bottle were only available to Angels even though both prices were shown. At that point I couldn't be bothered trawling the rest of the site to see what they might allow me to buy, so the voucher went in the recycling.

Paul

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 14th, 2022, 5:57 am

Not surprised to hear this
Naked wine vouchers are everywhere, I would be surprised if they were that good a deal
It's a bit similar to a DFS "sale"
not worth much :lol:

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 14th, 2022, 10:10 am

DrFfybes wrote:So I went to the website, selected the Big Reds, thought I'd get a mixed dozen around a tenner, so sorted by price.

The wines had a regular price and an Angel price, but all except 2 wines under £13 a bottle were only available to Angels even though both prices were shown. At that point I couldn't be bothered trawling the rest of the site to see what they might allow me to buy, so the voucher went in the recycling.

Paul

As I said above, the wines at Naked are overpriced unless you're an "Angel". It's easy to understand why they can make those offers look so attractive.

All the best, Si

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 14th, 2022, 6:55 pm

As I've said before, I think the best thing is to find a wine critic whose taste buds match yours, and follow their picks.
For us, it's Jane McQuitty in The Times. Her selections, all price bands, never disappointed.

Buying on spec from a website... nah.

And as commented, Naked vouchers ten a penny. I bought something on eBay last week, there were torn up Naked vouchers as part of the packaging.

V8

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 14th, 2022, 8:10 pm

88V8 wrote:As I've said before, I think the best thing is to find a wine critic whose taste buds match yours, and follow their picks.

I have a variant of that.

Having for many years bought more-or-less all my wine in the supermarkets, I find Sainsburys best suits my taste. I infer that Sainsburys has a chief wine buyer whose taste aligns well with my own.

There aren't many things for which I'd choose Sainsburys ahead of its rivals, but for me the wine stands out. White more than red, though it applies to both.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 14th, 2022, 8:25 pm

simoan wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:So I went to the website, selected the Big Reds, thought I'd get a mixed dozen around a tenner, so sorted by price.

As I said above, the wines at Naked are overpriced unless you're an "Angel". It's easy to understand why they can make those offers look so attractive.

From October 2021:

"Naked Wines surged on Friday after Light Street Capital founder Glen Kacher said it was a top pick and referred to the business as the "Netflix of wines".

https://www.sharecast.com/news/news-and ... 26442.html

Binge drinking?

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » January 22nd, 2022, 6:57 pm

Well we know what happened to Netflix share price earlier this week. Indeed, NW's share price is down some 15% since that wonderful tip from Glen.

Try some Chilean white (Errazuriz) to ease the pain - sadly not available from NW.

T7

Return to “Drink”