Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Wine You Are Drinking Right Now

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Re: The Wine You Are Drinking Right Now

Postby tsr2 » April 27th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Over Easter we drank the last of the MIL's 2007 Juan Gil Petit Verdot and I remembered how much I liked it. I Googled it to see if we could get some more and bought a case of the 2017. We are opening the first bottle tonight.

Skotch
Lemon Pip

Postby Skotch » May 9th, 2019, 11:22 am

Had a few glasses of this last weekend - will definitely be getting more (if stocks last)

https://www.decanter.com/wine-reviews/u ... 2018-28711

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 15th, 2020, 11:09 pm

That piquepoul was new to me when I started this thread.

Today I opened a bottle of Tescos' version of it. A very different drink to the Sainsburys (definitely less dry), but also a very pleasant tipple that I'll be buying again. Probably in the next few days, given that the 25% offer is on!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 24th, 2020, 11:44 pm

Argentinian Malbec (Tesco's finest). Much enjoyed.

Is it just me, or are the words "Argentinian" and "Malbec" a particularly natural coupling? We sometimes think of Argentina as an also-ran wine region compared to its illustrious neighbour west of the Andes, but for a Malbec, dark, rich and delicious, it's got to be a world leader.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » October 25th, 2020, 1:55 pm

We enjoyed a bottle of Squealing Pig Adelaide Hills chardonnay. I normally avoid wines with stupid names but OH is a great fan of Adelaide Hills wine and I must admit this was an extremely pleasant, though not demanding drink.

R6

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 25th, 2020, 5:52 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:We enjoyed a bottle of Squealing Pig Adelaide Hills chardonnay. I normally avoid wines with stupid names but OH is a great fan of Adelaide Hills wine and I must admit this was an extremely pleasant, though not demanding drink.

R6

Hmmm, haven't seen that. I wonder if I'd be tempted by that name? In principle it calls out for "give it a try", but I got caught out on one that I bought and turned out one of the worst wines I'd had in quite a while. Can't remember if it was called Old Git or Old Fart: either way I'd be inclined to identify with it when I first saw it on a supermarket shelf.

Now beers with silly names can be excellent ;)

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » October 27th, 2020, 9:59 am

Tesco's Vina Albali Reserva 2014 with their save £1.50 27th Oct - 16th Nov overlapping with their 20% off 6 bottles 15th Oct - 5th Nov is worth a punt.
Ignore tthe 2015 though. [/i]

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 12th, 2020, 11:00 pm

A Portuguese Vinho Verde from a recent Tesco offer. Blend of grapes, not named on the bottle. 10.5%. My best expectation was cheap-and-cheerful. Not a wine I'd seek to impress someone important with!

Turns out to be exceedingly drinkable. No hesitation in declaring it a pleasure. I shall hope to find more of it.

Better still, although it's something you'd think of as a natural summer tipple, it's not one of those wines that tastes great in summer (I imagine it does) but thin and watery out of the hot season (I'm thinking Pinot Grigio here). Much enjoyed at midwinter.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 11th, 2021, 11:54 pm

Looking at my last post, I had a recent mild disappointment from another Portuguese Vinho Verde. Win some, lose some.

Today was a Portuguese red called Porta 6, a blend of hitherto-unknown (to me) grape varieties, and a slightly quirky label showing a Lisbon street scene. Bought on a try-anything-once basis, I had no great expectations. But I've been very pleasantly impressed: this has the kind of smooth and rich yet still gentle character akin to that found in a nice Rioja or Chianti. You wouldn't confuse it with either of those, but I think nowadays you'd be at least slightly lucky to get something as nice as this under a tenner from either of those big-name regions.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » April 12th, 2021, 8:50 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Looking at my last post, I had a recent mild disappointment from another Portuguese Vinho Verde. Win some, lose some.

Today was a Portuguese red called Porta 6, a blend of hitherto-unknown (to me) grape varieties, and a slightly quirky label showing a Lisbon street scene. Bought on a try-anything-once basis, I had no great expectations. But I've been very pleasantly impressed: this has the kind of smooth and rich yet still gentle character akin to that found in a nice Rioja or Chianti. You wouldn't confuse it with either of those, but I think nowadays you'd be at least slightly lucky to get something as nice as this under a tenner from either of those big-name regions.

This is a blend of Tinta Roriz and Touriga Nacional - two of the five grape varieties used to make Port. Tinta Roriz is the Portugese name for Tempranillo - hence the similarity with Rioja.

BTW I've never tried this wine and tbh would be put off by the description I just read on the Majestic website. My favourite Portugese reds are from Bairrada and made from the Baga grape.

All the best, Si

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 12th, 2021, 2:25 pm

simoan wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Looking at my last post, I had a recent mild disappointment from another Portuguese Vinho Verde. Win some, lose some.

This is a blend of Tinta Roriz and Touriga Nacional - two of the five grape varieties used to make Port. Tinta Roriz is the Portugese name for Tempranillo - hence the similarity with Rioja.

BTW I've never tried this wine and tbh would be put off by the description I just read on the Majestic website. My favourite Portugese reds are from Bairrada and made from the Baga grape.

All the best, Si

For what it's worth, it's actually a blend of three grapes. But yes, the 50% tempranillo certainly fits my recollection of the flavour.

I avoid Riojas that are single-grape tempranillo, but love it in a blend - where it might be 50% or well over. So this is indeed a variant on something familiar!

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » April 12th, 2021, 2:56 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
simoan wrote:

All the best, Si

For what it's worth, it's actually a blend of three grapes. But yes, the 50% tempranillo certainly fits my recollection of the flavour.

I avoid Riojas that are single-grape tempranillo, but love it in a blend - where it might be 50% or well over. So this is indeed a variant on something familiar!

Yes, I noticed it contains Castelao as well, which is very occasionally used in Port but not the quality stuff. It's not a grape of which I'm familiar with the flavour profile. I suspect the quality is such that it would never be seen as a single varietal wine but probably adds something to a cheap blend.

All the best, Si

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 12th, 2021, 3:38 pm

(Currently), - Gluwein, along with hot coffee and Amaretto, to keep warm in this chilly weather! :lol:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 13th, 2021, 10:58 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Today was a Portuguese red called Porta 6, a blend of hitherto-unknown (to me) grape varieties, and a slightly quirky label showing a Lisbon street scene. Bought on a try-anything-once basis, I had no great expectations. But I've been very pleasantly impressed: this has the kind of smooth and rich yet still gentle character akin to that found in a nice Rioja or Chianti. You wouldn't confuse it with either of those, but I think nowadays you'd be at least slightly lucky to get something as nice as this under a tenner from either of those big-name regions.

Don't these things depend hugely on what food they go with?

The above reaction was with a quiche - to which it was perfect accompaniment. A second glass this evening with a blue-cheese-and-walnut salad tasted pleasant but no more than that: the extra kick of, say, a merlot or primitivo would've been a better fit.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » April 14th, 2021, 1:17 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Today was a Portuguese red called Porta 6, a blend of hitherto-unknown (to me) grape varieties, and a slightly quirky label showing a Lisbon street scene. Bought on a try-anything-once basis, I had no great expectations. But I've been very pleasantly impressed: this has the kind of smooth and rich yet still gentle character akin to that found in a nice Rioja or Chianti. You wouldn't confuse it with either of those, but I think nowadays you'd be at least slightly lucky to get something as nice as this under a tenner from either of those big-name regions.

Don't these things depend hugely on what food they go with?

The above reaction was with a quiche - to which it was perfect accompaniment. A second glass this evening with a blue-cheese-and-walnut salad tasted pleasant but no more than that: the extra kick of, say, a merlot or primitivo would've been a better fit.

Each to their own, of course, but I'd not want to drink a dry red wine with blue cheese. Sounds pretty disgusting to be honest. I think most experts would suggest a white wine, possibly off dry as the best match e.g a German or Alsace Riesling. One of the classic wine/food pairings is Sauternes with Roquefort, for instance.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 17th, 2021, 10:33 pm

simoan wrote:Each to their own, of course, but I'd not want to drink a dry red wine with blue cheese. Sounds pretty disgusting to be honest. I think most experts would suggest a white wine, possibly off dry as the best match e.g a German or Alsace Riesling. One of the classic wine/food pairings is Sauternes with Roquefort, for instance.

Each to his own. I like red wines with cheese, and note that port and stilton is a "classic" (and utterly delicious) combination.

Anyway, the third and final glass from the bottle went brilliantly with a pie - crumbly crust and tasty filling - and salad this evening. I may very well buy this wine again next time the wine offers happen: getting it under a fiver (£6.50 less 25%) is a no-brainer.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » April 18th, 2021, 12:06 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
simoan wrote:Each to their own, of course, but I'd not want to drink a dry red wine with blue cheese. Sounds pretty disgusting to be honest. I think most experts would suggest a white wine, possibly off dry as the best match e.g a German or Alsace Riesling. One of the classic wine/food pairings is Sauternes with Roquefort, for instance.

Each to his own. I like red wines with cheese, and note that port and stilton is a "classic" (and utterly delicious) combination.

But we're not discussing red wines with cheese in general, that's a different thing entirely. Blue cheese is a much harder wine match because of the funky tastes from the mold, and the recognised way to counteract this is with sweetness. That's why Sauternes and Port work; it's the sweetness in the wine not the colour of the grape that matters. But more specifically, going back to your original point on matching with blue cheese and walnut, that screams an off dry white wine i.e. preferably an aged German or Alsace Riesling which will not only provide the sweetness but would also possibly have a touch of nuttiness from the ageing to pick up the walnuts.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 21st, 2021, 9:30 pm

With cheese or pate I drink wines that 'cut the grease' - heavy-sweet but with a tart kick such as Gewurtz or Pinot Tokay (NB not the Hungarian Tokay which is different altogether).
I live in Stilton country and find port overwhelms my favourite Stilton (Colston Bassett); I prefer Gewurtz or cold Guinness Foreign Extra or Fullers 1845.
But I might be persuaded to change my mind if a bottle or two of Taylor's 40 Year Old Tawny came my way; their Tawny would be a better match with Stilton than say their lauded Vintage 2011 would be (if Father Xmas is listening).

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » February 5th, 2022, 8:05 pm

We like a good Chardonnay with a chicken or veg curry and the wife has been buying some M&S Chardonnays at around a tenner, which she likes, but which haven't impressed me. Today we tried the Wine Society's Fistful Of Schist Reserve Chardonnay. At £6.50, I like it a lot and prefer it to the 10 quid M&S Chardonnays.

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » February 26th, 2022, 9:46 am

For comedy value as much as anything, my Friday night 'treat' this week was the cheapest bottle of commercially available wine I have seen in the UK as far back as I can remember.
Lidl shiraz at 2.99 (yes, less than a coffee) from a pallet of similar.
I needed help from the OH and even then a splash remains in my glass.
Jesus it was awful but easily worth it for the laugh (just the once).
I will continue to operate my process of 'one I know I like' then 'a punt' alternately.

W.

Return to “Drink”