Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Best instant coffee for lockdown

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
Fluke
Lemon Slice

Best instant coffee for lockdown

Postby Fluke » March 29th, 2020, 11:20 am

It didn't occur to me when I sold my coffee machine at a car boot sale last year that one day we might go into lockdown and all the coffee shops would be closed (including the drive throughs) and that I wouldn't be able to get my once daily caffeine/coffee shop fix. I almost never used it, preferring to go out even if I had visitors, so it went the way of all manner of other clutter and I probably got a couple of quid for it at most. Repent at leisure.

I found some ground coffee at the back of the fridge which I'd forgotten about and attempted to make a coffee with it using a tea strainer, it didn't turn out well. So I'm now considering instant, I very much doubt that I've had a cup of instant coffee in 20 years and I don't know where to start. Which? did a tasting test ranging from the cheaper Lidl/Aldi/Asda ones to the more pricey Kendo type varieties, but I don't want to sign up just to find out which ones they recommended. So I am turning to you dear lemons to help me out. Any suggestions?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Best instant coffee for lockdown

Postby Itsallaguess » March 29th, 2020, 11:25 am

Fluke wrote:
So I'm now considering instant, I very much doubt that I've had a cup of instant coffee in 20 years and I don't know where to start.

Which? did a tasting test ranging from the cheaper Lidl/Aldi/Asda ones to the more pricey Kendo type varieties, but I don't want to sign up just to find out which ones they recommended.

So I am turning to you dear lemons to help me out.

Any suggestions?

I always try to have a jar of Aldi Fairtrade Columbian in the house.

I don't drink a great deal of coffee, but when I do feel like one, this is the best-tasting instant that I've found up to now...

https://www.aldi.co.uk/fairtrade-colomb ... 0255115300

I make it by stirring a heaped teaspoon into a good chunk of milk, microwaved for 1min 20secs, and then topped up with boiled water from the kettle, and it's lovely...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » March 29th, 2020, 11:47 am

Use real coffee.
Buy a cheap filter then just as quick as instant.
If you drink coffee with milk and sugar to hide the flavour ( hides inward shudder) you might find an acceptable substitute.
As a lifelong black coffee drinker I have never found an instant that even comes close, no matter the price.
Good luck in your 'grail' quest :D

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 29th, 2020, 11:49 am

Fluke wrote:Any suggestions?

It must depend on what type/strength/other words of coffee you usually like.

My own preferences are:

https://www.nescafe.com/our-coffees/nescafe-spresso

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/lor-classique/459242-633336-633337

Sometimes a couple of teaspoons of one, mixed with one of the other.

No milk!

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » March 29th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Kenco Millicano is great stuff.

According to the blurb, they semi grind it so there are lots of coffee type bits that sink to the bottom, don't get in the way and add to the flavour which is better than you would find in the average coffee shop.

It's pretty high in caffeine so four heaped teapoons is a bit much unless you really want experience a new level of energy.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 29th, 2020, 12:43 pm

I use Nescafe Original. It's acceptable (so long as you don't pretend it's the same drink as real coffee), and every time I've tried other instant coffees they've been a whole lot less pleasant.

And it works as a mixer: for example with drinking chocolate, or to pad out a handful of real beans in a dessert.

But (as someone already suggested), if you like filter coffee you could also consider one of those little plastic over-the-cup jobbies and a pack of single-use filters. Takes up very little kitchen space.

The other option - go upmarket and get an espresso machine that makes coffee good enough that you'll want to keep using it even when you have the choice to go out. I wouldn't be without mine!

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » March 29th, 2020, 1:07 pm

todthedog wrote:Use real coffee.
Buy a cheap filter then just as quick as instant.
If you drink coffee with milk and sugar to hide the flavour ( hides inward shudder) you might find an acceptable substitute.
As a lifelong black coffee drinker I have never found an instant that even comes close, no matter the price.
Good luck in your 'grail' quest :D

=======================

i use fresh ground coffee - make in a pot - the use a fine tea strainer .

there will be a few dregs that get through but they mostly sink to the bottom.

no sugar but i like tinned evaporated milk - better than cream - if you can get it ..

:)

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » March 29th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Nescafé Alta Rica is my favourite.

Though I usually make real these days, using an Aeropress
Which is really a big syringe. You can get them easily online for about £30, and they work best with espresso ground coffee, but ok with for coffee too. I bought a metal filter for mine to replace the default paper ones.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 29th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Midsmartin wrote:Though I usually make real these days, using an Aeropress
Which is really a big syringe. You can get them easily online for about £30, and they work best with espresso ground coffee, but ok with for coffee too. I bought a metal filter for mine to replace the default paper ones.

I've been using my Aeropress daily since I bought one as recommended by (I think) TMFTarantula (akaSpider) back in the days, he was a bit of a coffee geek.

Scott.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » March 29th, 2020, 2:02 pm

I know instant coffee generally has up'd its game since the pre Starbucks days of dark brown service station sludge, which btw always gave me an upset stomach. As a slight aside I'm not a fan of Starbucks but I believe it was the combination of them arriving on these shores in the late 90s and the TV series Friends that turned us into a nation of coffee drinkers. Todthedog and UncleEb you may have between you solved the dilemma, I think I have a small cafetiere thingie which I'm pretty sure escaped the big throw out. It'll be in the garage, I need to clear it out anyway. If not, well if there is anywhere open that I can buy one I will otherwise there are some intriguing suggestions here, that Kenco one sounds good. I might go mad and try a couple :D

No point in buying a proper Nespresso type machine lovely though I know they are, I only have one cup a day and the big pleasure is going out to the coffee shop and being amongst people without having to actually speak to anyone while I drink my coffee and read the paper, I can while away an hour or two quite happily doing that. It is in fact the only thing that I'm really missing about this whole lockdown business.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » March 29th, 2020, 2:10 pm

swill453 wrote:

I've been using my Aeropress daily since I bought one as recommended by (I think) TMFTarantula (akaSpider) back in the days, he was a bit of a coffee geek.

Scott.

Oooh now that does look interesting, 25 quid on amazon. Won't take up any worktop space either.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerobie-AeroPr ... 141&sr=8-5

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 29th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Fluke wrote:Oooh now that does look interesting, 25 quid on amazon. Won't take up any worktop space either.

Go for it. I only find it a bit irritating that you have to buy the funnel, the scoop and the stirrer, none of which I used after the first week. A teaspoon suffices.

Scott.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » March 29th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Pact Coffee are still delivering and are always fresh which I think is the most important thing when buying coffee - 95% of the dross coffee beans sold in supermarkets is so stale I find it undrinkable.

heres a discount code for £5 off
SIMON-CB540A
https://www.pactcoffee.com

For instant I dont touch Nestle for ethical reasons but Clipper instant coffee is good and seems to stay fresh longer than other brands.

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » March 29th, 2020, 5:54 pm

Midsmartin wrote:Nescafé Alta Rica is my favourite
... and mine, by a good margin, although I am hopeful this thread will lead to some alternatives!

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 29th, 2020, 7:27 pm

A vote for Nescafé Gold Blend here, it smells wonderful when opened and makes a very drinkable coffee.

HOWEVER...

very important with instant coffee IMO is not to boil the water. Stop the kettle at 80-90ºC, this can be done by listening to the kettle with practice. When poured it should be just too hot to gulp down -- but too cool if left for more than 5 minutes. Your instant coffee will taste much better this way, especially if drunk strong and black as I prefer it (1.5 to 2 rounded teaspoons of gold blend).

GS

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 29th, 2020, 7:41 pm

I think Gold Blend is horrible thin stuff but I quite like Nescafe Intense. Tesco sells it but not many other outlets as far as I can see. However in these times you may need to buy what you can get.

Dod

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 29th, 2020, 8:36 pm

Dod101 wrote:I think Gold Blend is horrible thin stuff but I quite like Nescafe Intense. Tesco sells it but not many other outlets as far as I can see. However in these times you may need to buy what you can get.

Indeed. I'm too tight to go for the more exotic varieties!

GS

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » April 4th, 2020, 8:39 pm

Fluke wrote:
swill453 wrote:

Scott.

Oooh now that does look interesting, 25 quid on amazon. Won't take up any worktop space either.

Just to let you know I took delivery of my Aeropress yesterday morning, what a great little gadget, so compact. The new improved version comes with a mug plus lid but takes up hardly any room. I bought it from Pact Coffee along with a pack of beans as recommended by Lanark.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » April 4th, 2020, 9:26 pm

Glad you're enjoying it. Note that you can re-use the paper filters a couple of times. You can buy metal replacements too.

My Aeropress is wearing out a bit: the rubbery seal has become compressed and doesn't seal so well, and the inside of the syringe is a bit pitted - again giving a poor seal.

The answer is to look after it better! Don't store it with the plunger in situ so the seal gets squashed - rinse and remove it as soon as you've poured your coffee.. And keep it clean so tough coffee grains don't gouge scratches inside over time.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 4th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Illy Arabica - and yes, don't fully boil the water

Return to “Drink”