Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Lees

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Lees

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 10th, 2021, 11:33 pm

Just finished a South African Cabernet Sauvignon. Proclaims itself Organic and Fairtrade. Not a wine I'll be rushing out to buy more of, but quite nice with today's meal.

Lots (and I mean lots) of sediment in the bottle, and it strikes me, we hardly ever see lees these days. Indeed, I think this may be the first time I've seen any of it in a screwtop bottle. I thought they were mostly associated with very traditional Old World (usually French) wines, not the New World!

Ho, hum.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Lees

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 10th, 2021, 11:50 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Just finished a South African Cabernet Sauvignon. Proclaims itself Organic and Fairtrade. Not a wine I'll be rushing out to buy more of, but quite nice with today's meal.

Lots (and I mean lots) of sediment in the bottle, and it strikes me, we hardly ever see lees these days. Indeed, I think this may be the first time I've seen any of it in a screwtop bottle. I thought they were mostly associated with very traditional Old World (usually French) wines, not the New World!

Ho, hum.

If you don't survive the night we'll ask them to stand well clear as I reckon you've probably drunk novichock :lol:

But Fairtrade always has to be a winner ... I wonder if it really is a home produced resource ... pips and all

AiY

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Re: Lees

Postby simoan » May 11th, 2021, 3:41 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Just finished a South African Cabernet Sauvignon. Proclaims itself Organic and Fairtrade. Not a wine I'll be rushing out to buy more of, but quite nice with today's meal.

Ho, hum.

The fact the wine has sediment has nothing to do with the closure. I agree it's unusual in a supermarket wine these days because of the type of wines the sell i.e. "factory made" ready for drinking wines, and not old vintages for laying down. If the wine is not old then the only reason for the sediment is that the winemaker took the decision not to filter the wine before bottling. That's fine, but in that case they should clearly state the wine is "unfiltered" on the label, although there is nothing to force them to do so.

All the best, Si

Return to “Drink”