Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Bosman nature and Sun

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Bosman nature and Sun

Postby DrFfybes » August 1st, 2021, 12:41 pm

Opened a bottle of Bosman 'Nature and Sun' skin contact Orange label Chenin Blanc on Friday. I suspect it was a 'wild card' buy from Sainsburys when they had their 35% off deal, normally a tenner.

"defined flavours, expressive texture and characteristic orange hue" my ar5e.

It was thin, fruitless, harsh, and the first bottle that has gone down the sink for several years.

Perhaps I should have looked at the Sainsburys customer reviews first :(

Paul

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Bosman nature and Sun

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 1st, 2021, 12:51 pm

Skin contact? Was it on the shelves alongside soap and toothpaste?

Chenin Blanc IME rarely has very much flavour. I'll buy it in a blend, but I'm unlikely to go for the pure stuff.

As for "down the sink", whatever happened to using it for cooking?

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » August 1st, 2021, 2:44 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Chenin Blanc IME rarely has very much flavour. I'll buy it in a blend, but I'm unlikely to go for the pure stuff.

Try a good Vouvray, particularly from Huet. Cracking stuff.

UncleEbenezer wrote:As for "down the sink", whatever happened to using it for cooking?

If it's nasty, why would you spoil food with it ?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 1st, 2021, 2:59 pm

genou wrote:If it's nasty, why would you spoil food with it ?

Not every good cooking ingredient is good to drink.
The OP complained it was
thin, fruitless, harsh

which sounds like it might be fine in a dish where you'd consider using vinegar, and could easily add to some. I'd use it in a risotto marinara, for instance. Or on the rare occasions I cook desserts, it could go into something like a sponge base for a flan or trifle.

And I've known cooks far better than me who also use far more wine, including buying cheap stuff you wouldn't drink.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » August 1st, 2021, 3:00 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Skin contact? Was it on the shelves alongside soap and toothpaste?

Wow! Never tasted a good South African example then? Or some of the really good stuff from the Loire Valley e.g. Savennières? Seems harsh to write off a whole grape variety if you've only experienced cheap wine from supermarkets.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 1st, 2021, 3:08 pm

simoan wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Skin contact? Was it on the shelves alongside soap and toothpaste?

Wow! Never tasted a good South African example then? Or some of the really good stuff from the Loire Valley e.g. Savennières? Seems harsh to write off a whole grape variety if you've only experienced cheap wine from supermarkets.

I said rarely, not never!

It's not a grape I'd avoid, like the ghastly sauvignon blanc.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » August 1st, 2021, 3:45 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
simoan wrote:

I said rarely, not never!

It's not a grape I'd avoid, like the ghastly sauvignon blanc.

Well, it's just about my favourite white grape variety and I'd say it's one of the most expressive which can produce stunning wines whether dry, medium or sweet, both oaked and unoaked. Some of the wild ferment examples from South Africa are stunning wines for the money. Even a good chenin packed Cremant de Loire is great value for money compared to other sparkling wines, particuarly some of the poor quality Prosecco and Cavas doing the rounds.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 25th, 2021, 9:33 am

Just noticed this thread had developed..

Firstly - I generally subscribe to the "don't cook with something you wouldn't drink" rule, budget French plonk for Coq au Vin excepted.

However, the idea of adding wine to food is to flavour it, in this case that wasn't going to happen.

As for other Chenins, plenty of good ones out there, particularly from SA, and we quite like Vouvray including the sparkling Vouvray easily obtained on supermarkets in the area. Of course now we can't pop over and fill the estate car this might change somewhat :(

Paul

Return to “Drink”