Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Importing wine

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
Corvid

Importing wine

Postby Corvid » September 2nd, 2021, 10:17 pm

I have been buying wine from www.portugalvineyards.com/ for personal consumption for a few years. I stocked up before 1st Jan but stock is getting low.

Has anyone ordered from them post 1st Jan and if so what extra paperwork/costs were there?

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Importing wine

Postby genou » September 3rd, 2021, 3:43 pm

Corvid wrote:I have been buying wine from http://www.portugalvineyards.com/ for personal consumption for a few years. I stocked up before 1st Jan but stock is getting low.

Has anyone ordered from them post 1st Jan and if so what extra paperwork/costs were there?

From their FAQ:

What changes now that the United Kingdom is no longer part of the EU space?
The orders to the United Kingdom (Except Northern Ireland ) like any other country outside the EU space aren't subject to VAT payment in the origin and upon arrival of your order, our transport partner will present the order to the UK customs and proceed with the importation procedures. They will then present the value to be paid for the VAT tax and the excise duty prior to the delivery of your order.
Check the theme above "I live in a country outside the European Union" for more information.
The Northern Ireland territory is an exception and still under the EU agreement so the VAT tax is paid in the origin and the orders delivered without a customs dispatch. You should select UK-Northern Ireland when putting an order. Check the theme above "I live in a country that is in the European Union" for more information.

So you'll get a "give us the money" from the courier in the UK, for UK excise duty - £2.23 bottle ( 2.98 for Port ), plus UK VAT on the wine + excise duty. It wouldn't be unknown for the courier to charge a processing fee.

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Re: Importing wine

Postby tsr2 » October 13th, 2021, 9:04 am

I'm about 6 weeks late to this, but you should have had an email from them on 19th January detailing what they expect the extra costs to be.

Many of you have asked about the new rules and we share below all the information we have:

The products are now VAT excluded in our store and upon arrival it’s subject to the local 20% VAT tax.
All non-alcoholic products, the ones in our gourmet area, aren’t subject to any additional duty.
The alcoholic products are subject to excise duty and for wines up to 15% alcohol volume it’s 297.57 GBP per hectoliter, 2.23 GBP per bottle of 750ml and twice for a magnum bottle.
Sparkling wines have a different excise, it’s 381.15 GBP per hectoliter so it should be 2.86 GBP per bottle of 750ml.
A fortified wine such as a Port Wine will take 396.72 GBP per hectoliter so it’s 2.97 GBP per bottle of 750ml
As for spirits such as a Brandy or Gin, it will be 28.74 GBP per liter of alcohol volume, so if it’s a 40% alc. volume and a 700ml bottle, it should be 8.05 GBP.
Finally, the beers have a low excise. It’s 19.08 GBP per liter of alcohol, so it means that for a 5% alc. volume beer and 330ml bottle, it should be 0.31 GBP.

One of our best sellers to the UK market, the Vidigal Porta 6, before the BREXIT at 3.60 GBP plus shipping, it will be now 3.19 GBP plus 2.23 GBP excise and 20% VAT tax, so a total of 6.50 GBP per bottle.
The shipping cost is the same in terms of transport cost but it takes per order an extra fee of 9.79 GBP for the exportation customs dispatch so it means that if you buy more than one case of 12 bottles, you will save money since it’s a flat fee per order and not per case.
In the end a bottle of Vidigal Porta 6 that in the past was around 4.7 GBP with all taxes and shipping included, will be now between 7 and 8 GBP depending on the number of bottles ordered.
This information is very important because if a client refuses to pay the importation duties, the parcels will return to us and we will have to deduct the return costs to the value paid for the order.
The transit time to the UK is not yet stable because there are some delays in the customs clearance but this means also that some parcels can reach you without the payment of the local duties and taxes.

I used to order from portugalvineyards.com, but I will probably now buy from the Wine Society's Portuguese offerings instead.

Return to “Drink”