Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Mum was right all along.

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Mum was right all along.

Postby DrFfybes » February 16th, 2022, 11:33 am

On the BBC today (and elsewhere) an anti-drink organisation is extolling the evils of wine due to the free sugar content.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-60390314

This led me to a bit of research, that reveals Champagne or Dry Cava has about 1-1.5g of free sugar per 100ml. Pure orange juice contains circa 8g/100l (the Clementine juce in the fridge is 10.3g/100ml.

So by diluting her breakfast juice wuth Dry Cava she was actually being healthy.

Paul

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Mum was right all along.

Postby kempiejon » February 16th, 2022, 12:46 pm

I tried a low carb diet a few years back, it was good losing the weight but no good for my liver (as the approved alcoholic drinks were hard liquor no mixer - well diet mixers but I cannot abide aspartame or other sweeteners) and I'm used to drinking pints...
I've recently discovered that some rum brands have added sugar and other additions like glycerol, flavours and colourings.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 16th, 2022, 2:00 pm

kempiejon wrote:I tried a low carb diet a few years back, it was good losing the weight but no good for my liver (as the approved alcoholic drinks were hard liquor no mixer - well diet mixers but I cannot abide aspartame or other sweeteners) and I'm used to drinking pints...

I've recently discovered that some rum brands have added sugar and other additions like glycerol, flavours and colourings.

It's odd because I am religious about avoiding sugar in food (so no cakes, biscuits, sweets, ice cream, puddings, even ketchup). I avoid juices and soft drinks, many of which are laden with sugar. And of course I take tea and coffee with no added sugar.

But when it comes to alcohol I don't really think about it, other than avoiding obviously sweet cocktails, which is most of them. I guess I naively thought that the sugar was fermented away to produce the alcohol. So my care is limited to preferring dry wines to sweet wines, and bitter beers like IPA to other types.

Will have to research this some more. The article isn't too helpful in telling us which wines are better and which are worse.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 16th, 2022, 3:51 pm

Lootman wrote:Will have to research this some more. The article isn't too helpful in telling us which wines are better and which are worse.

Google is your friend there - quite a lot of info on sugar added to Fizzy in particular. Basically as you would expect, sweeter wines contain more 'free' sugar.

Paul

Return to “Drink”