Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
simoan
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

Postby simoan » December 8th, 2021, 5:18 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Yes, I was a regular drinker of the 500ml bottles as they were stocked by my local (at the time) Waitrose in Windsor
I was wondering if the recipe had changed or if it was just 'different' on draught. I trust the pub in question to look after beer (they are CAMRA regional champions many times over)

I don't know for sure, but either the recipe or my taste buds changed! I drank quite a lot of Jaipur in the warm weather at the start of the first lockdown and even ordered some direct from Thornbridge - it just didn't taste the same as I fondly remembered from the 500ml bottles. It's been many years since I had a pint on draught; IIRC at the Kingston Arms or The Pint Shop in Cambridge, probably around 5 years ago. Unfortunately, I had to forego the opportunity to have it on draft at the Thornbridge brewery tap on my last visit as I was only picking up supplies and was without a willing co-driver :(

Anyway, this is making me thirsty and there is some Jamestown in the fridge :)

All the best, Si

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 8th, 2021, 10:37 pm

The beer I am drinking tonight is cider, made by Greg of Forge Farm, Cropredy, Oxfordshire where I moor one of meboats.

Basically he juices the apples and pears he harvests from his orchard and puts the juice in a massive old oak barrel in his air raid shelter, and mystically four months later it usually turns into the most magically delicious falling-down water. Most of it he flogs to posh London hotels, but some we occasionally drink in his charming old hovel by the canal on a cold winter's evening next to the Aga and talk rubbish.

I'm not convinced his bottling and labelling is quite up to Waitrose standards though...

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 9th, 2021, 12:46 am

Mike4 wrote:I'm not convinced his bottling and labelling is quite up to Waitrose standards though...

Label and bottle look good to me. Much more authentic than a supermarket's version. But I think the level of the contents are woefully inadequate.

ObTopic: mine was a pint of Otter tonight.

[edit to add] p.s. What's the worktop? Looks very like my dad's, but he doesn't know what his is.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 9th, 2021, 11:49 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
[edit to add] p.s. What's the worktop? Looks very like my dad's, but he doesn't know what his is.

Dunno, other than I think it is granite of some sort. It was in the hovel when I bought it, as part of a kitchen refit done in year 2000.

Certainly not marble, it really seems almost diamond-hard. Nothing marks it, not even hardened steel knives.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 9th, 2021, 5:07 pm

Mike4 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

Dunno, other than I think it is granite of some sort. It was in the hovel when I bought it, as part of a kitchen refit done in year 2000.

Certainly not marble, it really seems almost diamond-hard. Nothing marks it, not even hardened steel knives.

Thanks. OK, so it's not the same: his is something intermediate between cheapo laminate and classy granite or quartz. 'Scuse my nosiness!

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 12th, 2021, 8:52 pm

>>"p.s. What's the worktop? Looks very like my dad's, but he doesn't know what his is."

Granite

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 13th, 2021, 10:47 am

DiamondEcho wrote:>>"p.s. What's the worktop? Looks very like my dad's, but he doesn't know what his is."

Granite

Certainly looks a lot like the granite worktop we installed on our kitchen island, circa 1996. Hard as, errm, granite. :) But ours isn't a mirror-flat surface - the granity granules result in a slightly pockmarked finish - the pits are maybe only half a millimetre deep.

So we don't chop vegetables directly onto the granite surface. Maybe we're being paranoid about germs ("you eat a peck of dirt before you die", etc), but it's probably better than the other extreme.

Now if you want real trouble, buy a shiny black worktop in perfect black marble. Shows every hint of dirt and grease, especially if you've got downlighters. Our daughter cleans hers twice a day, 730 times a year. :lol:

88V8
Lemon Half

Cooling the Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

Postby 88V8 » December 17th, 2021, 9:55 am

Dedicated outdoor types might find this passive cooler useful, it's specifically designed to keep cans cool, and those cans might occasionally contain.... beer.
https://gsioutdoors.com/2-can-cooler-stack.html

V8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Cooling the Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

Postby bungeejumper » December 17th, 2021, 1:44 pm

88V8 wrote:Dedicated outdoor types might find this passive cooler useful, it's specifically designed to keep cans cool, and those cans might occasionally contain.... beer.

V8, thanks for the link, but my Kaspersky antivirus is screaming Trojan at me. Doesn't like the site generally, not just that page. Is there another source you can find for the same product?

Ta muchly

BJ

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 18th, 2021, 4:05 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
88V8 wrote:Dedicated outdoor types might find this passive cooler useful, it's specifically designed to keep cans cool, and those cans might occasionally contain.... beer.

V8, thanks for the link, but my Kaspersky antivirus is screaming Trojan at me. Doesn't like the site generally, not just that page. Is there another source you can find for the same product?

Ta muchly

BJ

I was very intrigued about the idea of passive cooling, but it only holds 2 x 12oz cans - which are not the size I buy my beer in and it doesn't cool passively it insulates so it doesn't reduce temperature. I think it's this https://theawesomer.com/2-can-cooler-stack/650891/

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 19th, 2021, 12:34 pm

kempiejon wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:

I was very intrigued about the idea of passive cooling, but it only holds 2 x 12oz cans - which are not the size I buy my beer in and it doesn't cool passively it insulates so it doesn't reduce temperature. I think it's this https://theawesomer.com/2-can-cooler-stack/650891/

Yes, it is.
That site that's bothering BJ's av - mine is cool with it, so to speak - GSI are the maker, so no alternative, sorry....

V8

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » February 8th, 2022, 7:44 pm

Well, the nicht' I've had a couple o' McEwans (McEwans is the best buy, the best buy... etc....etc...)

Surprised !!! I think its just as good as Bishop, Old Speckled, Theakst...

Stands well back and puts tin hat on.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 8th, 2022, 8:29 pm

scotview wrote:Well, the nicht' I've had a couple o' McEwans (McEwans is the best buy, the best buy... etc....etc...)

Surprised !!! I think its just as good as Bishop, Old Speckled, Theakst...

Stands well back and puts tin hat on.

"Export" I'm assuming?
As a teen I realised it was one of the few beers you could get just about anywhere that I could drink when it was warm (well as warm as a Hillhead flat)
- perhaps I need to revisit it?

- sd

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » February 8th, 2022, 9:43 pm

servodude wrote:As a teen I realised it was one of the few beers you could get just about anywhere that I could drink when it was warm

Aye Laddie , jist' gee it a try ma wee loon. There are a lot worse for a lot mare bawbees.

An' ye can drink it warm. Especially on a richt warm nicht, wi' a mixed sea food baggy at Lorne, jist doon the coast roady fae the 12 Apostiles 8-)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 8th, 2022, 9:50 pm

scotview wrote:
servodude wrote:As a teen I realised it was one of the few beers you could get just about anywhere that I could drink when it was warm

Aye Laddie , jist' gee it a try ma wee loon. There are a lot worse for a lot mare bawbees.

An' ye can drink it warm. Especially on a richt warm nicht, wi' a mixed sea food baggy at Lorne, jist doon the coast roady fae the 12 Apostiles 8-)

That's quite enough of the Doric thank you very much!

Anyways it looks like it's currently out of stock round these parts :( (sheesh they've got it under the "craft beer" section!)
- if they get it in while there's still Apostles left (I think there's about 8 now) I might just go with your suggestion (though Prickly Moses down that way do a Red Ale that's probably more suitable)

- sd

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » February 9th, 2022, 10:06 am

Years ago I used to get the 125 train to South Wales regularly. The only two beers in the buffet car were Guinness or McEwans Export. That was the only time I ever drank it.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 9th, 2022, 11:36 am

It was the only beer my dad kept in the house, so have memories of furtive drinks from my youth. Not much experience since then.

Lots of Edinburgh pubs used to stock McEwans "80 Shillings" which was related, but I was never 100% sure whether it was cask or keg.

Some pubs in the Fountainbridge area (especially "Diggers") were rumoured to have it piped in directly from the nearby brewery.

Might give the red can a try for old times' sake.

Scott.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » February 9th, 2022, 3:58 pm

My most recent pint was one of Panther from my local Grainstore brewery. It used to be called a mild and nobody bought it. Renamed as the much more manly "panther" and it became much more popular! Perhaps there are other milds hiding behind beefier names.
The Grainstore's 1050 is apparently made to the old Ruddles County recipe, as the brewery was started by a Ruddles Brewer when that was closed.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 9th, 2022, 4:21 pm

Midsmartin wrote: Perhaps there are other milds hiding behind beefier names.

Dunno about beefier* , but Banks's Original is/was a Mild
edit: In fact, it appears to be called Banks's Mild these days

*Banks's Bovril ?

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » February 10th, 2022, 9:00 am

Brains Dark:
https://www.sabrain.com/our-beers/cask-ales/dark
We used to say it was made from dissolved beer mats.

Return to “Drink”