Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

Postby Mike4 » September 16th, 2020, 9:04 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
stewamax wrote:Reminded me of Wychood's King Goblin

Is that supposed to be a porter then? My fave style of ale. I don't remember it as such. A long time since I bought a bottle tho, must try it again. Or are you talking King Goblin draught?

I've had King Goblin [geddit?] and it's a deeper ale, ideal for winter etc. Hard to find in the shops as at that ABV/pungency of trad beer it's getting a bit niche. IIRC I bought it in a batch of various beers I bought for home delivery direct from Wychwood Brewery*, including several other Wychwood brews I've never seen/will never seen in the shops like Goliath etc. Their 'Bah Humbug' and 'Imperial Red' are (IMHO) better ales too, that you can also buy for home-delv from the brewery... < that's a/o my last order for home-delv from them about 6 months ago.

Meanwhile I've another order in at BelgiumInABox; they're expanding to new premises and recently their order processing has been really sloooow. If you order a crate, order and then don't even think about it again for 2 weeks, when the status might/or not have changed. Still, they have a huuuge range incl things you'll find nowhere else and are sensibly priced. - Plus meanwhile I've another order in for some different/new things from Beers of Europe, more $, they aren't cheap vs the competition, but boy even right now they are speedy getting orders together and despatched.

* https://www.wychwood.co.uk/beers/king-goblin/

I found King goblin in Tesco in Marlborough yesterday and absorbed a couple of bottles in a fine Wiltshire garden overlooking the railway and canal last night. Wonder beer I thought so thanks for the suggestion! Not really like a proper midlands porter but an excellent alternative.

Another beer in Tesco Marlborough is "Jail Ale" by Dartmoor Brewery. A very pleasing and well-rounded ale I recommend too. A little like Speckled Hen but richer tasting with a bit less toffee.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 16th, 2020, 11:40 pm

Mike4 wrote:Another beer in Tesco Marlborough is "Jail Ale" by Dartmoor Brewery. A very pleasing and well-rounded ale I recommend too.

Jail Ale is a regular in pubs around here. It's our local big brewery (until you go further afield). One I'm always happy to drink - except in one pub where there seemed to be a persistent problem with it (and other beers).

A little like Speckled Hen but richer tasting with a bit less toffee.

Now that's a huge insult to Jail Ale! (Since you say Tesco I presume you're buying bottled).

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » October 1st, 2020, 10:28 pm

I've just started working my way through a shipping order of Fullers 1845.
While sitting peacefully savouring a freshly-poured glass, I noticed something that had escaped me before: when first in the mouth, the 1845 is almost flat but after two or three seconds the very fine gas bubbles (think Krug or Roederer Crystal) break out and liberate more taste.
I can't think of any other beer that does this and by my philistine standards it is outstanding.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 29th, 2020, 7:40 pm

Tonight I am guzzling a bottle of Leffe Brune, which used to be one of my fave beers. The last few times I had it however, I've found it no longer really hits the spot like it used to. On reading the label I can now see why! They appear to have reduced the alcohol content to a measly 6.5% - the bar stewards!

Anyway a brief goggle turned up no mention of this, but I'm pretty sure it used to be more like 8.5%. Am I right or is my alcohol tolerance simply increasing?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » October 29th, 2020, 7:56 pm

Mike4 wrote:Tonight I am guzzling a bottle of Leffe Brune, which used to be one of my fave beers. The last few times I had it however, I've found it no longer really hits the spot like it used to. On reading the label I can now see why! They appear to have reduced the alcohol content to a measly 6.5% - the bar stewards!

Anyway a brief goggle turned up no mention of this, but I'm pretty sure it used to be more like 8.5%. Am I right or is my alcohol tolerance simply increasing?

Are you sure you aren't remembering Leffe Tripel ABV 8.5% (not Brun though).

Talking of which ...

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 29th, 2020, 8:02 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Tonight I am guzzling a bottle of Leffe Brune, which used to be one of my fave beers. The last few times I had it however, I've found it no longer really hits the spot like it used to. On reading the label I can now see why! They appear to have reduced the alcohol content to a measly 6.5% - the bar stewards!

Are you sure you aren't remembering Leffe Tripel ABV 8.5% (not Brun though).

Talking of which ...

Yes, certain. Brune/Bruin is my fave of all the Leffe range of beers and not to easy to find these days, so I usually buy it when I see it.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 29th, 2020, 8:04 pm

Pretty sure Brune and Blonde have always been around the 6.X% mark.

Scott.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 29th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Wikipedia shows 6.5% https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leffe and I can't see any changes to this since 2002

If it's in Wikipedia, it must be true :roll:

--kiloran

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » October 29th, 2020, 8:19 pm

Just had "Circuit Breaker" mixed case a delivery from Brew Dog, the usual suspects (although I'm not convinced by the Seltzer).
Quick delivery by DPD, BUT someone has nicked a can, presumably during transit. Done well, the outer casing looks dented but intact, on opening the inner carton has been ripped apart and a can taken.
Fair play to Brew Dog, they have promised a credit for this missing beverage but buyer beware, Check your deliveries are really complete.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 29th, 2020, 9:29 pm

PhaseThree wrote:Just had "Circuit Breaker" mixed case a delivery from Brew Dog, the usual suspects (although I'm not convinced by the Seltzer).
Quick delivery by DPD, BUT someone has nicked a can, presumably during transit. Done well, the outer casing looks dented but intact, on opening the inner carton has been ripped apart and a can taken.
Fair play to Brew Dog, they have promised a credit for this missing beverage but buyer beware, Check your deliveries are really complete.

I bought a bottle of wine from the Co-Op shop in Hungerford a few years ago. When I got it home and opened it, I immediately noticed the screw-top seal was already broken, then a cursory inspection of the contents revealed the bottle was only about 3/4 full. I reckon they have (had) a staff member with a drink problem!

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » October 29th, 2020, 10:43 pm

stewamax wrote:I've just started working my way through a shipping order of Fullers 1845.
While sitting peacefully savouring a freshly-poured glass, I noticed something that had escaped me before: when first in the mouth, the 1845 is almost flat but after two or three seconds the very fine gas bubbles (think Krug or Roederer Crystal) break out and liberate more taste.
I can't think of any other beer that does this and by my philistine standards it is outstanding.

If you can, try keeping it for a year before drinking it. 1845 gets more complex.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 29th, 2020, 10:46 pm

It becomes 1846 ?

I have a bottle here, which may be drunk tomorrow.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » October 29th, 2020, 11:25 pm

Mike4 wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:Are you sure you aren't remembering Leffe Tripel ABV 8.5% (not Brun though).

Talking of which ...

Yes, certain. Brune/Bruin is my fave of all the Leffe range of beers and not to easy to find these days, so I usually buy it when I see it.

I wasn’t doubting you on Brune/Bruin etc but only that the Tripel is stronger and matched your 8.5%.

We get ours*** via https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/256674921 - delivered direct. Whereas our stock of Erdinger Dunkel comes from here https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/erdinger-dunkel/818703-692471-692472.

There was a discussion a while back on other less readily available products but I haven’t searched. May have concerned one or both of these websites:

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/
https://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/

All assuming you get online deliveries etc.

***Apparently some of our orders come with vegetables and other similar foodstuffs.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 10th, 2020, 11:25 pm

Leffe Tripel perhaps? As established breweries like Leffe don't tend to mess about +/- with their ABVs
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/470/

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 10th, 2020, 11:45 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:

Leffe Tripel perhaps? As established breweries like Leffe don't tend to mess about +/- with their ABVs
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/470/

Echo Diamond:

viewtopic.php?p=351814#p351814

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 22nd, 2020, 2:15 pm

I've come to the startling and frankly quite upsetting conclusion that my hands have consumed more alcohol this year than my mouth has....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 22nd, 2020, 2:29 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I've come to the startling and frankly quite upsetting conclusion that my hands have consumed more alcohol this year than my mouth has....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Good thing it's the beer thread. Any hint of red wine there and I'd worry for your carpets.

But perhaps you've been using alcohol in forms and for purposes other than booze.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 22nd, 2020, 2:45 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I've come to the startling and frankly quite upsetting conclusion that my hands have consumed more alcohol this year than my mouth has....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

i heard a rumour that the Bombay gin factory near here had switched production from Bombay Gin to 100% hand sanitiser earlier this year.

Might just be one of those urban myths that sounds credible but is actually a loadarubbish....

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 22nd, 2020, 4:09 pm

Mike4 wrote:i heard a rumour that the Bombay gin factory near here had switched production from Bombay Gin to 100% hand sanitiser earlier this year.

Might just be one of those urban myths that sounds credible but is actually a loadarubbish....

Very likely true. Our local gin distillery certainly did just that https://www.linlithgowgazette.co.uk/bus ... us-2545920

Scott.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » November 23rd, 2020, 10:21 am

swill453 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:i heard a rumour that the Bombay gin factory near here had switched production from Bombay Gin to 100% hand sanitiser earlier this year.

Very likely true. Our local gin distillery certainly did just that https://www.linlithgowgazette.co.uk/bus ... us-2545920

Scott.

I never got over my tour of the Plymouth Gin 'factory' in the Devon city some years ago. I asked where the distillery was. They said the alcohol was brought in by tanker from a plant in Basildon. "We just add the flavouring here".

Return to “Drink”