Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Re: The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

Postby GrandOiseau » July 22nd, 2020, 10:58 am

bluedonkey wrote:Earlier I ordered mini-kegs (8-9 pints) from a couple of breweries. The freshness was a bit hit and miss. To be certain of drinking it fresh, needed to be drunk by end of day 2 after starting. The breweries claim it lasts up to a month whilst unopened.

West Berkshire Brewery does mini-kegs for £17 each; £7 delivery.

Yeah I think you need to have more than one person drinking the keg to get through it whilst it's fresh - although maybe that's just me getting on a bit and not being able to drink like I used to.

I have two "Growlers" - one 2L and one 1L - so I buy two different beers. I drink one first and then the other. Once opened I would try to drink them in 2 days, 3 days max. I usually start drinking the first one immediately I get it.

That's why having some bottles is kinda necessary. The nearest micro to me opens Fri - Sun for take outs so technically I could get one Growler filled more regularly but even though it's a 10-15 minute cycle, it's a bit of a palaver on a daily basis.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 22nd, 2020, 11:29 am

bluedonkey wrote:...

My local brewery (along with Bingham's) - they are up at Yattendon about 5.5 miles NW of me
I like Good Old Boy but that style would never be in my top 10 - they did an Elderflower Pale Ale (Dance Hall) which sounds nice (bit like Purp Moose Ysgawen? perhaps) but limited edition??? [edit - cans available, but want to try first before splashing out ££££s]

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 22nd, 2020, 12:03 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
bluedonkey wrote:...

My local brewery (along with Bingham's) - they are up at Yattendon about 5.5 miles NW of me
I like Good Old Boy but that style would never be in my top 10 - they did an Elderflower Pale Ale (Dance Hall) which sounds nice (bit like Purp Moose Ysgawen? perhaps) but limited edition??? [edit - cans available, but want to try first before splashing out ££££s]

I really rate WBB's Maharaja IPA, having discovered it first at a beer festival.
For a low strength beer, Mr Chubb's is good, I think.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 22nd, 2020, 12:07 pm

simoan wrote:
BrummieDave wrote:Can't comment on whether they've changed the recipe or taste because, although it was Jaipur I first came across from thornbridge, and used to drink it a lot, particularly whilst working in Sheffield a few years ago (where Thornbridge have several pubs, plus they sell it at the excellent Sheffield Tap on the railway station), since they expanded the range so considerably I've been working my way through all the fantastic beers they've released in the past two years or so. They are up there with the best IMHO.

Yes, Thornbridge is one my very favourite breweries and I have tasted their range extensively too. In fact, the only reason I don't mind going to see my other half's folks and friends in Macclesfield is that we can go via a slower route that takes in Bakewell and Buxton. Means I can get some 500ml cans of Axe Edge and Myrcia on the way too!! We last dropped into Thornbrdge just before Xmas where I got the last case of Jaipur and two mixed cases where I took samples of any bottles and cans they had from the beer fridge. Of the latter I only have a couple of Market Porters and a Bison left.

All the best, Si

I'll be in Matlock for a couple of nights shortly. Any suggestions for good beer there or in the wider region? I may persuade the OH to agree to a visit to the Thornbridge brewery.
Cheers.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » August 21st, 2020, 10:33 pm

Had some Stringers ales in a pub in the south Lakes last week.

Plan B (light, pale, honey bitter) and Yellow Lorry (golden ales) were lovely beers but the star of the show was No 2 Stout - very moreish.

sloth
Lemon Pip

Postby sloth » August 22nd, 2020, 4:47 am

bluedonkey wrote:I'll be in Matlock for a couple of nights shortly. Any suggestions for good beer there or in the wider region? I may persuade the OH to agree to a visit to the Thornbridge brewery.
Cheers.

A few local breweries mentioned here: https://www.mad.camra.org.uk/viewnode.php?id=27636

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » August 22nd, 2020, 4:34 pm

sloth wrote:
bluedonkey wrote:I'll be in Matlock for a couple of nights shortly. Any suggestions for good beer there or in the wider region? I may persuade the OH to agree to a visit to the Thornbridge brewery.
Cheers.

A few local breweries mentioned here: https://www.mad.camra.org.uk/viewnode.php?id=27636

Got back a week or so ago. Managed to get to Thornbridge Brewery Tap. I could have drunk their chocolate stout until I fell under the table, it was so moreish. About 6.5 per cent.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 22nd, 2020, 7:07 pm

bluedonkey wrote:
sloth wrote:
Cheers.

Got back a week or so ago. Managed to get to Thornbridge Brewery Tap. I could have drunk their chocolate stout until I fell under the table, it was so moreish. About 6.5 per cent.

Ah now I too have had a chocolate stout so delicious I couldn't stop drinking it. Near the beginning I took a careful note of exactly what it was, and you can guess the rest.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 22nd, 2020, 7:51 pm

I've used the notepad on my phone to record good beers as they are drunk
And then I try to decipher what Anhghms Fggfhg was...

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 22nd, 2020, 8:10 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I've used the notepad on my phone to record good beers as they are drunk
And then I try to decipher what Anhghms Fggfhg was...

This is it EXACTLY! Even the tiny speeling mistked makes the whole thing virtually undecipherable innit.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 22nd, 2020, 8:50 pm

Anhghms Fggfhg was a pretty good session beer actually
Are you in Reading, or is that another poster?
Bingham's in Twyford do a good range of stouts. Sadly I'm just to the west of their free delivery area

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 22nd, 2020, 9:08 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Anhghms Fggfhg was a pretty good session beer actually
Are you in Reading, or is that another poster?
Bingham's in Twyford do a good range of stouts. Sadly I'm just to the west of their free delivery area

Yes that was me, I was in Reading. Moved to near Hungerford now, but still working in Reading several times a week.

I think we met briefly. For reasons I don't recall, I delivered something to you or collected something from you back in the mists of TMF days. No idea what!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 22nd, 2020, 9:23 pm

Hmm, sounds very dubious!
-probably not me, the only things I've exchanged with TMF people have been alcoholic beverages....
We did have a Reading social (or two) many years back - not sure if you were at that one?
I can remember Satsuma, SugarKane, ahenry, and a charming young woman who was a radiologist - can't recall her user name
Sadly all that TMF history has been lost forever, otherwise I could dig out the social report

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » August 24th, 2020, 9:53 pm

We'd a lunch at Sunbury too, about 15 years ago.... blimey. M4 was there too; I don't think any other peeps who still post...

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » September 8th, 2020, 9:16 am

My enlightened daughters bought me a case of Best of British Beers for my recent birthday and am working my way through it.
The light-coloured ones have all been IPA style and rather similar (and good).
Of the dark ones, South Hams Devon Porter was a bit odd: the expected sharp roast-barley taste but thin (OK - it isn't a stout but thin even for porter).
The star so far has been Hobson's Postman's Knock porter - not quite Fullers 1845 but excellent. Reminded me of Wychood's King Goblin

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 9th, 2020, 10:01 pm

This evening, a familiar semi-local brew: Cornish Knocker.

Objectively speaking, a nice but middle-of-the-road golden ale: one I'm always happy to drink. Subjectively speaking, the best I've had for quite a while: probably since lockdown. Yum!

It's all about being in the right mood, and receptive to a good beer. Tonight I seem to have hit a sweet spot!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 9th, 2020, 11:18 pm

stewamax wrote:Reminded me of Wychood's King Goblin

Is that supposed to be a porter then? My fave style of ale. I don't remember it as such.

A long time since I bought a bottle tho, must try it again. Or are you talking King Goblin draught?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 11th, 2020, 10:28 pm

Mike4 wrote:
stewamax wrote:Reminded me of Wychood's King Goblin

Is that supposed to be a porter then? My fave style of ale. I don't remember it as such. A long time since I bought a bottle tho, must try it again. Or are you talking King Goblin draught?

I've had King Goblin [geddit?] and it's a deeper ale, ideal for winter etc. Hard to find in the shops as at that ABV/pungency of trad beer it's getting a bit niche. IIRC I bought it in a batch of various beers I bought for home delivery direct from Wychwood Brewery*, including several other Wychwood brews I've never seen/will never seen in the shops like Goliath etc. Their 'Bah Humbug' and 'Imperial Red' are (IMHO) better ales too, that you can also buy for home-delv from the brewery... < that's a/o my last order for home-delv from them about 6 months ago.

Meanwhile I've another order in at BelgiumInABox; they're expanding to new premises and recently their order processing has been really sloooow. If you order a crate, order and then don't even think about it again for 2 weeks, when the status might/or not have changed. Still, they have a huuuge range incl things you'll find nowhere else and are sensibly priced. - Plus meanwhile I've another order in for some different/new things from Beers of Europe, more $, they aren't cheap vs the competition, but boy even right now they are speedy getting orders together and despatched.

* https://www.wychwood.co.uk/beers/king-goblin/

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » September 16th, 2020, 8:43 pm

Wychwood's IPA is also well worth a try. Reminds me of Oakham Ales' Green Devil which is a stronger version of their wonderful Citra - my favourite summer drink.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 16th, 2020, 8:58 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:We'd a lunch at Sunbury too, about 15 years ago.... blimey. M4 was there too; I don't think any other peeps who still post...

Was JonEbehr (spelling?) not there too?

Return to “Drink”