Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Vin Orange

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Vin Orange

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 9th, 2023, 11:28 pm

I wasn't familiar with Vin Orange. But sometime back in the spring I picked up a bottle on spec, and I've just opened it and enjoyed a glass with tonight's evening meal.

In the bottle, it looked like a regular white wine under a mildly interesting label. But pouring it, the colour is indeed a distinct hint of orange, and the taste was rather strong - despite below-average alcohol content. Not at all like the pink of a rosé, and more distinct than rosé from a typical white! Taste had hints of cheap&nasty whites, but was a lot nicer than a Liebfraumilch or Sauvignon Blanc.

What's the background and history here? Am I the only Fool not to have encountered it years ago? Is it a traditional wine that's been neglected, and might it be more widespread in other countries (the one I just had was French)?

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Re: Vin Orange

Postby simoan » July 10th, 2023, 8:41 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:I wasn't familiar with Vin Orange. But sometime back in the spring I picked up a bottle on spec, and I've just opened it and enjoyed a glass with tonight's evening meal.

In the bottle, it looked like a regular white wine under a mildly interesting label. But pouring it, the colour is indeed a distinct hint of orange, and the taste was rather strong - despite below-average alcohol content. Not at all like the pink of a rosé, and more distinct than rosé from a typical white! Taste had hints of cheap&nasty whites, but was a lot nicer than a Liebfraumilch or Sauvignon Blanc.

What's the background and history here? Am I the only Fool not to have encountered it years ago? Is it a traditional wine that's been neglected, and might it be more widespread in other countries (the one I just had was French)?

In short, It’s a white wine which is made more like a red wine I.e. with skin contact during fermentation.Normally the skin and juice are separated and white wine is made from the juice only, but for vin orange the juice and the skins are both used. This means it is also possible to use the natural yeast in the skins to make the wine instead of yeast being added to start fermentation. This is why they are often labelled as natural wines.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 18th, 2023, 8:32 am

Thanks for the explanation. Reading the label on the bottle (gone in this morning's recycling), it mentioned something of that.

It also occurred to me that that flavour was somewhat reminiscent of a red, and that the wine might have been great served at cellar (or wine-cooler) temperature - a little warmer than a regular white or rosé.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » July 18th, 2023, 8:55 am

Return to “Drink”