Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to kiloran,Anonymous,Howard,Gostevie,JuanDB, for Donating to support the site

Bloody Adverts

For questions or input on how the site works or improvement you would like to see.
Gostevie
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 182
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 633 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Bloody Adverts

#408472

Postby Gostevie » May 1st, 2021, 12:41 am

For ages I have stopped viewing this website on my smartphone because the adverts and pop-ups made it virtually unusable, but now I am finding it is almost as bad on my laptop. I know that Clariman and Stooz are businessmen who are in it to make a few bob - and great credit to them for that - but I wish there was a subscription model that would allow me to read and contribute to the content without seeing bloody adverts for Brook Taverner and Dobell everytime I try to use The Lemon Fool.

No, I don't want to buy a "Dobell Black 100% Wool Classic Top Hat" thank you very much.

Gostevie

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half
Posts: 5373
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 1562 times
Been thanked: 1612 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408474

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 1st, 2021, 1:20 am

donate

link above

seagles
Lemon Slice
Posts: 275
Joined: August 19th, 2017, 8:37 am
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408497

Postby seagles » May 1st, 2021, 8:39 am

Gostevie wrote:For ages I have stopped viewing this website on my smartphone because the adverts and pop-ups made it virtually unusable, but now I am finding it is almost as bad on my laptop. I know that Clariman and Stooz are businessmen who are in it to make a few bob - and great credit to them for that - but I wish there was a subscription model that would allow me to read and contribute to the content without seeing bloody adverts for Brook Taverner and Dobell everytime I try to use The Lemon Fool.

No, I don't want to buy a "Dobell Black 100% Wool Classic Top Hat" thank you very much.

Gostevie


I believe you are wrong, the boys are not businessmen and are not in this to make money. You seem to have never really looked at the site and have obviously ignored the "donate" option to avoid adverts. I think you owe them and the rest of us an apology.

Mike4
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2952
Joined: November 24th, 2016, 3:29 am
Has thanked: 623 times
Been thanked: 1416 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408498

Postby Mike4 » May 1st, 2021, 8:43 am

Gostevie wrote:For ages I have stopped viewing this website on my smartphone because the adverts and pop-ups made it virtually unusable, but now I am finding it is almost as bad on my laptop. I know that Clariman and Stooz are businessmen who are in it to make a few bob - and great credit to them for that - but I wish there was a subscription model that would allow me to read and contribute to the content without seeing bloody adverts for Brook Taverner and Dobell everytime I try to use The Lemon Fool.

No, I don't want to buy a "Dobell Black 100% Wool Classic Top Hat" thank you very much.

Gostevie



How curious. I thought top hats were traditionally made from silk, or moleskin, or something not wool.

88V8
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2095
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:22 am
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 720 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408517

Postby 88V8 » May 1st, 2021, 10:16 am

I agree about ads, but not here.
Ads make many sites unusable
Here however, I have never seen an ad.
Presumably because I occasionally donate. Less than I'd pay a Financial Adviser, but for a much better return.

I donate to a number of sites that I find useful. Car forums, Wikipedia.

No doubt I have many moral shortcomings, but being Freddy Freeloader isn't one of them.

V8

jfgw
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1715
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:36 pm
Has thanked: 497 times
Been thanked: 584 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408518

Postby jfgw » May 1st, 2021, 10:22 am

A donation of £20 or more will go toward the running costs of this site and remove ads for a year. The drop-down box defaults to £30 but you can change this.

Julian F. G. W.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half
Posts: 6520
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 2838 times
Been thanked: 5419 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408526

Postby Itsallaguess » May 1st, 2021, 10:36 am

88V8 wrote:
I donate to a number of sites that I find useful. Car forums, Wikipedia.

No doubt I have many moral shortcomings, but being Freddy Freeloader isn't one of them.


Whilst I agree with your overall sentiment, I think we need to be a little careful with that type of language when it comes to donations to the site, as I'd hate to think that any Lemon Fool posters who contribute to the fantastic richness of the site via the discussion boards themselves might not appreciate the level of contribution delivered via those means, as well as other methods...

Of course, with 0.5% of all Lemon Fool posts having been made by you since the site was brought on-line, I include your good self in that group too....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Slice
Posts: 894
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:40 am
Has thanked: 380 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408531

Postby GrahamPlatt » May 1st, 2021, 10:49 am

I think the time of posting the OP may be an indication that some leeway is due.

Mike4
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2952
Joined: November 24th, 2016, 3:29 am
Has thanked: 623 times
Been thanked: 1416 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408538

Postby Mike4 » May 1st, 2021, 11:07 am

88V8 wrote:I agree about ads, but not here.
Ads make many sites unusable
Here however, I have never seen an ad.
Presumably because I occasionally donate. Less than I'd pay a Financial Adviser, but for a much better return.

I donate to a number of sites that I find useful. Car forums, Wikipedia.

No doubt I have many moral shortcomings, but being Freddy Freeloader isn't one of them.

V8


If I remember correctly, Gostevie is an accomplished LBYM-er who achieved considerable respect on TMF by digging himself out of a seemingly impossible debt hole, by unswervingly following the advice of PetraM et al.

So cut him some slack, he is probably far more sensitised to unnecessary spending than many of us here.

88V8
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2095
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:22 am
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 720 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408552

Postby 88V8 » May 1st, 2021, 11:56 am

Mike4 wrote:If I remember correctly, Gostevie is an accomplished LBYM-er who achieved considerable respect on TMF by digging himself out of a seemingly impossible debt hole, by unswervingly following the advice of PetraM et al.
So cut him some slack, he is probably far more sensitised to unnecessary spending than many of us here.

Fair doos, didn't know that.

I don't mind ads as such.
I think I can safely say that I am ad-proof, I have never been prompted to buy anything via an online ad. So I don't care whether there are ads or not. Indeed, the presumption that ads work, and the fact that they power the largely free internet is a benefit I am happy to accept.

What I dislike about ads, is the extent to which they slow many sites. Newspapers for example, the time it took each page to load, the whizzy ads, the distraction.
If I think about it, what with donations and Adblocker, I don't frequent any sites nowadays that have much in the way of ads.

V8

Mike4
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2952
Joined: November 24th, 2016, 3:29 am
Has thanked: 623 times
Been thanked: 1416 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408554

Postby Mike4 » May 1st, 2021, 12:01 pm

88V8 wrote:I think I can safely say that I am ad-proof, I have never been prompted to buy anything via an online ad.


Which is of course, exactly the way all advertising designers want you to think!

Hypster
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 187
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:53 am
Has thanked: 796 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408610

Postby Hypster » May 1st, 2021, 4:42 pm

Gostevie wrote:I know that Clariman and Stooz are businessmen who are in it to make a few bob


I don't think they run TLF as a money maker. I think the ad revenue and subscriptions is to cover the costs of hosting the site that's all.

Gostevie
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 182
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 633 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408640

Postby Gostevie » May 1st, 2021, 7:03 pm

I hadn't realised there was a 'donation' option. I have just made a donation and will be interested to see if the number of adverts reduces.

Gostevie

csearle
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3072
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 2:24 pm
Has thanked: 2151 times
Been thanked: 874 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408643

Postby csearle » May 1st, 2021, 7:17 pm

Gostevie wrote:I hadn't realised there was a 'donation' option. I have just made a donation and will be interested to see if the number of adverts reduces.
They should completely vanish. If not just say and it'll get sorted. Thanks, C.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half
Posts: 5373
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 1562 times
Been thanked: 1612 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408644

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 1st, 2021, 7:19 pm

It should stop all the adverts - I'm sure the very helpful stooz and Clariman can assist if you still see any - not sure how long it takes for the donation to go through the system

[edit- or Chris of course, as above!]

Clariman
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1993
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:17 am
Has thanked: 1570 times
Been thanked: 684 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#408647

Postby Clariman » May 1st, 2021, 7:28 pm

Gostevie wrote:I hadn't realised there was a 'donation' option. I have just made a donation and will be interested to see if the number of adverts reduces.

Gostevie

Thanks. All adverts should disappear immediately. If not, let us know.

Hope all well with you.

Cheers
Clariman

XFool
Lemon Half
Posts: 6488
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 757 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#410834

Postby XFool » May 10th, 2021, 6:10 pm

I notice we now have a new approach... a 'Google Adverts' drop tab.

Just saying.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1993
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:17 am
Has thanked: 1570 times
Been thanked: 684 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#410840

Postby Clariman » May 10th, 2021, 6:16 pm

XFool wrote:I notice we now have a new approach... a 'Google Adverts' drop tab.

Just saying.

Good or bad thing? I don't see it.

XFool
Lemon Half
Posts: 6488
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 757 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#410846

Postby XFool » May 10th, 2021, 6:31 pm

...Well, ones attitude to adverts is rarely positive. ;)

It appears on the main page and has to be closed.

88V8
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2095
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:22 am
Has thanked: 474 times
Been thanked: 720 times

Re: Bloody Adverts

#410906

Postby 88V8 » May 10th, 2021, 10:56 pm

XFool wrote:It appears on the main page and has to be closed.

Nah... nice to know that my adblocker works :)

V8


Return to “Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests