Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Gengulphus

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Gengulphus

Postby Itsallaguess » January 14th, 2022, 9:54 pm

This is terribly sad news.

Gengulphus raised the standards of all of us, both here and back on the Motley Fool, and I am so, so sad to hear that he's gone.

Itsallaguess

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Postby cinelli » January 17th, 2022, 10:52 am

I know that Gengulphus was a prolific poster on HYP matters but he also made great contributions to the puzzles board. Some of his solutions to puzzles take the breath away. For instance

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=28742

where his detailed and lengthy analysis is meticulous.

I had no idea that he had played a part in technology or business. In fact I imagined him as a fellow of an Oxford college, taking a break from seeing undergraduates by solving puzzles on the Lemon Fool, someone who could easily quote and apply (and probably prove) the Chinese remainder theorem or Wilson’s theorem.

He will be greatly missed.

Cinelli

floyd3592
Lemon Pip

Postby floyd3592 » January 17th, 2022, 2:10 pm

Such sad news. No age at all.

Others have encapsulated my thoughts on him far more eloquently than I ever could, suffice to say I will miss him and am so very sad to learn he passed on so early. What an amazingly nice guy he sounds in real life. I hope his family get to read the posts on this thread, they're a true testament to him and would be a comfort i'm sure.

RIP Gengulphus

evilbungle
Lemon Pip

Postby evilbungle » January 17th, 2022, 5:12 pm

Absolutely gutted by this news, I am definitely more of a reader than contributor to TMF and TLF over the last 13 years, but every time I wanted to know something it was Gengulphus' posts I would seek out.

There are key moments when he was absolutely instrumental in building my understanding of share actions especially when it came to returns of capitol or spin offs etc.. and when I was setting up unitization - he was always very generous with his time in replying even to less high profile members and that is a great loss.

I understand his desire to stay private and it definitely is no ones place here to "out" him but I would hope that his family are aware just what he meant to these boards and how much he will be missed.

RIP to a real gent.

ourlady

Postby ourlady » January 17th, 2022, 10:53 pm

Very sad news! May God rest his soul, Amen
Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

blobby
2 Lemon pips

Postby blobby » January 18th, 2022, 11:08 am

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I always looked out for Gengulphus' posts and I'm very grateful to have had access to read them freely.

Troglodytes

Postby Troglodytes » January 20th, 2022, 11:22 pm

simoan wrote:
Mapfumo wrote:I've just heard the very sad news that the IRL person who I'm 99% sure posted here (and for nearly 2 decades on TMF) under the username Gengulphus passed away suddenly and unexpectedly after Christmas from an undetected tumour, in his mid-sixties.

Oh, that is terrible news. At such a young age too. I am probably the only person here who knew who he was in "real life". I don't think you all realise what a fantastic contribution he and his colleagues made to the UK technology industry. I'm absolutely gutted as I worked in the same industry and understand what a pioneer he was.

Si

Just to confirm - if there was any doubt by now - that Gengulphus did die in late December unexpectedly. I am his brother (some of you may remember me from the TMF days but I never joined LemonFool until now). The tumour hadn't manifested any real symptoms until very late on and he went downhill very rapidly in a matter of days. I guess the positive thought is that he didn't suffer for long. Of course, we are still all in shock and struggling to take it in.

I had been thinking of posting something myself (hence I signed up recently). I wasn't sure how well known it was who he was IRL and since I also know he enjoyed maintaining a level of anonymity on here, I'd been delaying any announcement. Thank you to those on here for not outing him.

Also thank you very much for all the messages on here - I will make sure to circulate this thread to the rest of the family.

Regards, Trog

Troglodytes

Postby Troglodytes » January 21st, 2022, 12:02 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Au revoir, chin chin, adios, goodbye,
An empty chair at the table, a time to cry,
So kind, so gentle, and thoroughly concise,
And maths that was nothing but only precise,
You’ve gone, you’ve left, without wave or good song,
And we’ll miss you dear friend, entire life long.

Au revoir, chin chin, adios, farewell,
You’re going to heaven has left us in hell,
Heartbroken and shattered, shocked to our heart,
How could you leave, how could you depart,
Time to man up, be brave and be strong,
You left us with memories that will linger for long.

Au revoir, chin chin, adios, tata,
A journey we shared, we came so far,
You’ve gone too early, it’s painfully remiss,
A chasm as wide and deep as abyss,
With smile, good grace and love for a Fool,
It’s closing forever, the Gengulphus school.

Au revoir, chin chin, adios, God speed,
Thanks for it all, the very good read,
The thoughts, the passion, the somber advice,
All for nothing, no charge was your price,
A gift you gave, without want or demand,
For one long minute all quiet we stand.

AiY(D)

Thank you AsleepInYorkshire. That's a beautiful tribute. Trog

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 21st, 2022, 3:35 pm

Troglodytes wrote:
simoan wrote:
Mapfumo wrote:I've just heard the very sad news that the IRL person who I'm 99% sure posted here (and for nearly 2 decades on TMF) under the username Gengulphus passed away suddenly and unexpectedly after Christmas from an undetected tumour, in his mid-sixties.

Oh, that is terrible news. At such a young age too. I am probably the only person here who knew who he was in "real life". I don't think you all realise what a fantastic contribution he and his colleagues made to the UK technology industry. I'm absolutely gutted as I worked in the same industry and understand what a pioneer he was.

Si

Just to confirm - if there was any doubt by now - that Gengulphus did die in late December unexpectedly. I am his brother (some of you may remember me from the TMF days but I never joined LemonFool until now). The tumour hadn't manifested any real symptoms until very late on and he went downhill very rapidly in a matter of days. I guess the positive thought is that he didn't suffer for long. Of course, we are still all in shock and struggling to take it in.

I had been thinking of posting something myself (hence I signed up recently). I wasn't sure how well known it was who he was IRL and since I also know he enjoyed maintaining a level of anonymity on here, I'd been delaying any announcement. Thank you to those on here for not outing him.

Also thank you very much for all the messages on here - I will make sure to circulate this thread to the rest of the family.

Regards, Trog

Thank you for that confirmation, Trog. He was very well regarded and we sympathize with you in your loss.

TJH

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » January 21st, 2022, 4:20 pm

Yes it is sad news indeed. Gengulphus was an incredibly patient and thoughtful bloke, who really helped me out a lot when I started out on my private investing journey. I am in debt to him, for the time he spent meticulously wording his erudite posts.

RIP Gengulphus

MaynardPaton

Postby MaynardPaton » January 22nd, 2022, 11:25 am

This news is terribly sad. Gengulphus was always polite, insightful and detailed and his posts to TMF and subsequently TLF set the gold standard for investment discussion. He was among those cornerstone members that every discussion forum needs to flourish, and his contributions to TMF's old boards helped build a community that lives on today at TLF. My condolences to his family and friends.
Maynard

deucetoace

Postby deucetoace » January 22nd, 2022, 11:38 am

That is very sad news. I remember him on TMF, always very interesting.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » January 22nd, 2022, 7:00 pm

So sorry to hear this. I have read many of his posts. We will all miss him.

Pendrainllwyn
Lemon Slice

Postby Pendrainllwyn » January 23rd, 2022, 12:39 am

Gengulphus had no equal on here. His ability to thoroughly think through every single aspect of a topic was truly impressive. I learned a lot from him.

Pendrainllwyn

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Postby oldapple » January 23rd, 2022, 8:05 am

I didn't have any direct dealings with Gengulphus, but always felt privileged to belong to the same community as someone like him. I am dreadfully sorry for the loss of such a lovely gentleman.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 23rd, 2022, 10:18 am

May I suggest that in recognition of Gengulphus's greatly appreciated and lasting contribution to TLF he is honoured posthumously with the posting status of Honorary Lemon?

HaiderAli

Postby HaiderAli » January 23rd, 2022, 11:51 am

Hallucigenia wrote:Bugger - that's a blow.

It is indeed. His posts on a thread were always an occasion to stop and read.

Haven’t seen you for ages H, hope all is well. Missed you.

Asagi

Postby Asagi » January 23rd, 2022, 11:53 am

My dictionary defines bereft:

sorrowful through loss or deprivation

and that's a fair measure of how so many of us feel in light of this news. We had access to a brilliant mind, one of the finest you will likely meet in your life and here he was, committed to help, inform and most of all educate. And all for no charge.

Gengulphus could teach you how to think. He had a huge influence on me early in my investing life, before I'd got the money together to lose it.

Could anyone articulate the heuristics of investing better? Do post his real life details won't you Troglodytes. As above, he was one of our community and so many of us would like to get to know the bloke in his passing.

Asagi

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » January 23rd, 2022, 12:09 pm

Asagi wrote:
Could anyone articulate the heuristics of investing better? Do post his real life details won't you Troglodytes. As above, he was one of our community and so many of us would like to get to know the bloke in his passing.

I certainly understand and respect G's wishes to remain anonymous and not be outed here on LF, but I must say my curiosity has been piqued by the snippets I have read here of his clearly significant contributions to industry IRL. I would like to read of them if they are in the public domain elsewhere.

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » January 23rd, 2022, 2:57 pm

A great loss to the boards - one of the top TMF posters. Seems really strange to be mourning someone I never met.

In terms of his anonimity, he once responded to a post of mine via email, from his work email address, which I guess wasn't that unusual so there must be a fair number of people out there who know who he was. He often said that his most successful investment was the sheer luck of being in an employee share scheme which sky rocketed and I think a lot of people must have assumed that was ARM, but I would leave it up to his brother to decide if he wanted to reveal his actual identity and possibly link to some of his work.

StepOne.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”