Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Requests for specific Motley Fool UK boards to be added

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
DeBriefed

Re: Requests for specific Motley Fool UK boards to be added

Postby DeBriefed » November 7th, 2016, 4:10 pm

TheRIT wrote:
tieresias wrote:
DeBriefed wrote:I'm not sure if there was one on TMF, but I'd be really interested in an Early Retirement board (if there are others who are also hoping to shirk the labour market before hitting 65!)

Me too. Although I would prefer it to be called Financial Independence, or something. I will probably get there in 2017, ten years before hitting 65, but that seems too young to "retire".

I'm Financially Independent and will Retire Early soon. It took me 9 years from the start of my journey and I'm now 44. I'm posting on the Retirement Investing board and there's a few of us already having some great discussion. Feel free to join us over there.

Then if we do get a FIRE, FI or ER board maybe we can get the posts moved.

Thanks both - found it!!

ThirdWay

Postby ThirdWay » November 7th, 2016, 4:37 pm

Joking aside, if we do have to have one and some form of reccing/BoB system is introduced, please can it be like TMF where posts there don't qualify for the BoB? It's a breeding ground for some of the most unedifying exchanges to be found anywhere on the Fool and personally I think it's best left out of the limelight.

Just my view, perhaps we should have a referendum... :D

Why not allow people to personalise the BoB lists they will see?

By default, you would get the complete list. But if you don't like sport, politics or whatever, then you exclude them from your list.

Appreciate this would take some work, but it would keep everyone happy.

BarrenWuffett
2 Lemon pips

Postby BarrenWuffett » November 7th, 2016, 4:54 pm

Really would appreciate a board for 'Index Funds & ETFs' or 'Passive Investing' and as several others have requested a board for the v. popular subject of 'Investment Trusts'

Thanks and great job so far!!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 7th, 2016, 5:25 pm

BarrenWuffett wrote:Really would appreciate a board for 'Index Funds & ETFs' or 'Passive Investing' and as several others have requested a board for the v. popular subject of 'Investment Trusts'

Thanks and great job so far!!

You're the 4th person to suggest this that I have seen, so I suspect it will happen. Agree they're doing a great job.

TheCurryMonster

Postby TheCurryMonster » November 7th, 2016, 6:53 pm

If nobody else has requested it yet, can we have a 'Running your own business' board in due course?
No mad panic, but it was a useful board over on TMF IMHO.

Thanks muchly.

:)

Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tortoise1000 » November 7th, 2016, 7:27 pm

Stooz and Clariman, may I politely ask what sort of timescale is envisaged for setting up new boards? I am asking on behalf of the Your Tomorrow Starts Today board. We are waiting patiently on TMF for YTST to appear here, and looking forward to coming across.

Please don't think I am asking for it to happen at any particular speed. I can only imagine how busy you must be. It took me ages just to track some YTSTers down in RL to make sure we were all in touch (after the announcement and before your site appeared, when we didnt know what might happen). We should simply like to know what the timescale is, so we can make our plans accordingly. It bring a planning board :-) We could move off to Facebook temporarily if necessary. We'd like to be here eventually, though. I think YTST could be a much better board here on Lemon Fool, and I should like to help make it so.

While I am posting, let me say that I am willing to help out if you need anything doing in due course, moderating or whatever. You have my Foolish CV, Clariman, since I helped you with the SOA calculator :-)

T

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 7th, 2016, 7:46 pm

Hi All

Stooz and I have been adding occasional boards to meet demand, but there have been many requested. The priority for our first proper planning discussion was to cover the broader issues of what our objectives were for the site, whether the technology was fit for purpose and whether funded was needed.

I'll create a consolidated list and discuss with Stooz. I'd have all of them but we don't want the site to look really cluttered. Hopefully if they are grouped well, users can collapse the groups that they have no interest it.

While I'm typing this, Stooz is probably creating them all anyway! ;)

Clariman

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » November 7th, 2016, 8:08 pm

Hi, thanks T.
Please note that the best thing to do is just start making new topics.
Don't wait for a board.
What we can easily do is move topics under a category title when and if one becomes available.

I suggest making a topic with initials like
YTST - a discussion about x

Then I can move them, and remove the initials in the title.
It's an easy task and I believe will be a simple moderators role too.

My concern is how fast you will lose tmf so the quicker you regroup people before the cut off date, the better.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 7th, 2016, 10:22 pm

I have consolidated your requests and prepared a suggested new board structure which I have sent to Stooz. If he agrees with it, he'll probably have it done by midnight ;)

I have met most requests, but sometimes by combining requests into one board e.g. a "Natural World" board which covers gardening, wildlife, the environment and rural living. I haven't gone with LOST because it has too many connotations of unpleasant argument but I have suggested some "Polite Discussion and Debate" boards which should cover what you want to discuss.

Some boards were only requested by 1 person so I have left them for now or suggest you create them as topics under an existing board.

Clariman

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » November 8th, 2016, 6:24 am

Clariman wrote:I haven't gone with LOST because it has too many connotations of unpleasant argument but I have suggested some "Polite Discussion and Debate" boards which should cover what you want to discuss.
Clariman

I must admit I was never a fully-fledged member of LoST. Every time I put forward a sensible (to me) point for discussion I was belittled and shouted at, so I refrained from arguing back.

However, I was too timid, the main plus point for LoST was that people argued vociferously, which was no bad thing. There must be a board here where people aren't frightened to speak their minds, although it may make work for moderators. I propose TMFGrow for the job.

I suspect that your "Polite Discussion Board" won't always be polite :shock:

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 8th, 2016, 7:02 am

I have sent a complete board structure to Stooz for discussion. The debate/discussion section looks as follows:

Polite Debate & Discussion
a. Politics
b. The Economy (including Budgets)
c. Religion & Philosophy
d. Other Polite Discussions

My general rule for any of these would be 'to play the ball, not the man' or argue the point rather than call names.

Stooz may not want to do them at all. We'll wait and see :)

Tortoise1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby Tortoise1000 » November 8th, 2016, 7:35 am

stooz wrote:
My concern is how fast you will lose tmf so the quicker you regroup people before the cut off date, the better.

Thank you Stooz. YTSTers are packing ready for the move. We are looking forward to seeing where you put us. If we see a YTST nesting box soon we shall occupy it, and if we dont we shall perch somewhere.

I like the way you have set things out so far, by the way. with some general social boards up front. That's very welcoming. A much more logical arrangement than prioritizing individual financial topics. It doesnt stop anyone going straight to their chosen topic, but it just gives the impression of a welcoming entrance.

T

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 8th, 2016, 7:40 am

YTST is on the list that I've sent to Stooz for discussion :)

zxc100

Postby zxc100 » November 8th, 2016, 8:14 am

Clariman, thanks for all your hard work, I think we all appreciate you must be working round the clock.

I know there have been one or two requests for a Technical Analysis board and I would just like to add my request. A relatively low posting board on TMF due to its nature but highly visited with high quality discussion. Thanks.

zxc

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 8th, 2016, 8:24 am

zxc100 wrote:Clariman, thanks for all your hard work, I think we all appreciate you must be working round the clock.

I know there have been one or two requests for a Technical Analysis board and I would just like to add my request. A relatively low posting board on TMF due to its nature but highly visited with high quality discussion. Thanks.

zxc

That's on my list too:)

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » November 8th, 2016, 11:04 am

Apologies if some of you hope for a faster response but I have a new born baby in the family, which is surprisingly time consuming for someone that sleeps all day.

I shall be looking at the boards changes tonight

penym
Lemon Pip

Postby penym » November 8th, 2016, 11:07 am

Can I request that the Apple Group be given a home on the Lemon Fool. Many of us use this board and it is not contraversial!

Anniel

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 8th, 2016, 11:11 am

Anniel wrote:Can I request that the Apple Group be given a home on the Lemon Fool. Many of us use this board and it is not contraversial!

Anniel

Hi penym,

At the moment they are thinking about how many new Forums to open but do have "Computers & Phones" available here:

viewforum.php?f=39

PD

nigelpm
Lemon Pip

Postby nigelpm » November 8th, 2016, 11:13 am

stooz wrote:Apologies if some of you hope for a faster response but I have a new born baby in the family, which is surprisingly time consuming for someone that sleeps all day.

I shall be looking at the boards changes tonight

Wow!

Setting this up and having a new born in the family.

What a hero.

serpenteer

Postby serpenteer » November 8th, 2016, 11:21 am

Would like to request a TA board please

serpenteer

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”