Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Requests for specific Motley Fool UK boards to be added

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Daytona

Re: Requests for specific Motley Fool UK boards to be added

Postby Daytona » November 17th, 2016, 2:30 pm

As I enjoy helping people who have a particular issue, but are otherwise disinterested in a topic, perhaps we could have an easy to find set of boards, available immediately from the front page. I can't see any such board for finance -

Help! - Investents and Financial Products
Help! - DIY
etc

I guess it's all about catering for different audiences.

--
Daytona

bulltraderpt
Lemon Slice

Postby bulltraderpt » November 17th, 2016, 3:41 pm

How about a social which is not in London but still the South? Just a thought.. 8-)

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 17th, 2016, 3:53 pm

bulltraderpt wrote:How about a social which is not in London but still the South? Just a thought.. 8-)

Probably covered in the "Travel Lounge" viewforum.php?f=36 under the "Around the UK
local meets or helping visitors" forum.

PD

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 17th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
Rob625 wrote:The board structure here doesn't look ideal from the point of view of reading a puzzle but not being counted as having read people's subsequently-posted solutions (so that you can take some time to try to come up with a solution yourself and then come back and read what others have done), but I'm sure people can live with that...
Gengulphus

Will review boards again in the next week or so. Ref the format, you could create a Topic of "Riddle ABC Question" and another "Riddle ABC Answer" and have a rule that answers are only posted on the latter?

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » November 18th, 2016, 7:58 am

Clariman wrote:Will review boards again in the next week or so. Ref the format, you could create a Topic of "Riddle ABC Question" and another "Riddle ABC Answer" and have a rule that answers are only posted on the latter?

One small suggestion when you review the board structure. Would it be possible to put them in alphabetical order within each section? As an example, at the moment in the Investors' Roundtable section the Venture Capital Trust board is about a third of the way down whereas alphabetically it would be at the end.

I suspect most of us ex-Fools will have created a list of subscribed boards and be using that at bit like the favourite boards feature on Fool UK but if accessing the boards from the main index it seems a bit more intuitive to me to have the boards within each section alphabetically ordered to help with quick scrolling to what one is looking for.

- Julian

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 18th, 2016, 8:22 am

Has someone asked for a "Religious and Philosophical Topics" board?

Also I used to enjoy Curio Corner which I know NMNH would be keen on too.

John

Grumpi
Lemon Pip

Postby Grumpi » November 18th, 2016, 8:44 pm

Dear Clariman & Stooz,
Thank you for all your hard work so far to ensure that the enjoyment I got from TMF UK can continue even after it,s demise.

In addition to my earlier request to recreate here the specific TMF Grumpy Old Fools board (possibly as GOLLY - Grumpy Old Lemonfools Like You),
May I chuck a couple more straws on the back of the camel and ask that you consider recreating two more TMF boards:
Pedants/'s Corner and
The Word is your Oyster?
Apart from the pleasure they would create in and of themselves they may also serve as dustbins to divert unwanted jousts between posters from the more serious boards.
Perhaps lumped in an "Odds and Sods" group. Or would that be the Biscuit Bar?
Yours
ever
Grumpi ;-(
PS I suppose it's too early for the new baby at chez Stooz to be sleeping all though the night yet?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 18th, 2016, 9:22 pm

Noted. The idea of an odds and sods group crossed my mind, perhaps with being collapsed by default so it doesn't make the list of boards too long for everyone else

CatcheeMonkee
Lemon Pip

Postby CatcheeMonkee » November 18th, 2016, 9:26 pm

Could it be called "Any Other Business" and placed at the bottom of the page? Then it wouldn't need to be collapsed by default, perhaps?

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 18th, 2016, 11:27 pm

Grumpi wrote:May I chuck a couple more straws on the back of the camel and ask that you consider recreating two more TMF boards:
Pedants/'s Corner ...

It's only a little thread / topic so far, but if you use it enough, I suppose it might grow up to a proper board / forum:

http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=280

Though I'd recommend caution about adding your rather novel contribution to the apostrophe debate there! ;-)

Gengulphus

Grumpi
Lemon Pip

Postby Grumpi » November 19th, 2016, 12:40 am

Gengulphus wrote:
It's only a little thread / topic so far, but if you use it enough, I suppose it might grow up to a proper board / forum:

http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=280

Though I'd recommend caution about adding your rather novel contribution to the apostrophe debate there! ;-)

Gengulphus

I stand corrected, Gengulphus, I hadn't realised that there were pedant posts already on this site. I have yet to explore all of it.
My request for a Pedants board should be now be relegated to support existing posts for a descrete board.
As for the apostrophe debate I am ignorant of the final decision of the Apostropher Royal so I attempted to sit on the fence between Pedants and Pedant's Corner being aware of the strong - nay religious - feelings on either side.

Grumpi
Lemon Pip

Postby Grumpi » November 19th, 2016, 12:57 am

Oops, left it too late to edit.
I forgot to include the third option of Pedants' to Pedants and Pedant's in the interest of fair play.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 19th, 2016, 1:02 am

Grumpi wrote:Oops, left it too late to edit.
"descrete"?

Grumpi
Lemon Pip

Postby Grumpi » November 19th, 2016, 10:25 am

PinkDalek wrote: "descrete"?

Sorry for the typo. It should read "discrete" of course and yes, obviously I should ensure I get the spelling correct as well as worrying about the apostrophes.

Incidentally, I do know that we have a plurality of pedantic fools and that a board dedicated to them will belong to them so I am clear in my own mind where the apostrophe in the title of their board should go. But if anyone thinks I would be presumptuous enough to set it out in print and incur the wrath of any of them you have another think coming.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Investing for Beginners

Postby kiloran » November 19th, 2016, 10:46 am

Like TMF, LMF is probably around 50% social/community discussion and 50% investment discussion. We always want new members, rather than act as a bit of a clique, so I wonder how LMF might be perceived by someone who wants to get started in investing? The investment boards we have might be perceived as rather advanced, with terms like Venture Capital, HYP, Gilts and Bonds, etc.

Would it be worthwhile to have a board "Investment for Beginners" or some such name, to try and provide newbies with a friendly starting point?

--kiloran

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Investing for Beginners

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 19th, 2016, 6:15 pm

kiloran wrote:Like TMF, LMF is probably around 50% social/community discussion and 50% investment discussion. We always want new members, rather than act as a bit of a clique, so I wonder how LMF might be perceived by someone who wants to get started in investing? The investment boards we have might be perceived as rather advanced, with terms like Venture Capital, HYP, Gilts and Bonds, etc.

Would it be worthwhile to have a board "Investment for Beginners" or some such name, to try and provide newbies with a friendly starting point?

--kiloran

Experienced folks will tend to tire of answering newbie questions. That's how FAQs came about, in the days of Usenet, and before "FAQ" became just a meaningless marketing term.

It might work. But it might lead to newbies getting replies only from other newbies. Or worse, if cranks or even outright scammers put in an appearance.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Re: Investing for Beginners

Postby CryptoPlankton » November 19th, 2016, 8:01 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
kiloran wrote:

--kiloran

Experienced folks will tend to tire of answering newbie questions. That's how FAQs came about, in the days of Usenet, and before "FAQ" became just a meaningless marketing term.

It might work. But it might lead to newbies getting replies only from other newbies. Or worse, if cranks or even outright scammers put in an appearance.

Maybe the site needs some kind of introduction (in "Announcements" or somewhere prominent) explaining how the site came about, its ethos, the nature of the various forums (where to have idle chat, where to have more serious exchanges...) and generally give a potential newbie some idea of what to expect and what would be expected from them. Perhaps some of these things actually need to be fully established by the community (leaders) first, but I think a "reception area" of some sort, possibly including FAQs, could be useful.

CP

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 20th, 2016, 2:12 pm

I am wondering about the company specific boards.

I know they were not used much and I know there were hundreds of them.

But, the other day I heard some news about Diageo and wondered if other shareholders knew so would possibly have posted it on the company specific board.

Could there be a board for 'Individual shares' and then each time someone wants to talk about a specific company they can have a sub-board? that way, only shares that are talked about get a board, and they are all gathered together neatly in one place. The 'master' thread can be for requesting the individual min-boards? (I hope I have understood how the physical structure works here).

Mel

(btw, for Diageo shareholders, it was that the painting 'Monarch of the Glen', worth £8m, has been offered to the Scots National gallery for £4m, Diageo got it free in a take over. I would personally like to see them gift it for free, so am going to write to them. £8m/4m is nothing to a company that size)

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 20th, 2016, 2:42 pm

How about a Companies board with a topic for each company discussed?

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 20th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Clariman wrote:How about a Companies board with a topic for each company discussed?

Yes, I think that has the same effect. If it gets too cumbersome then it can be reviewed later with a view to sub-boards.

:)

Mel

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”