Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to 87investor,longview,Sussexlad,niord,staffordian, for Donating to support the site

Supporting The Lemon Fool - Donations (versus Adverts)

Pull up a chair, have a biscuit - discuss the site and general questions about the LemonFool
Stan
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 127
Joined: November 15th, 2016, 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Supporting The Lemon Fool - Donations (versus Adverts)

#274713

Postby Stan » January 2nd, 2020, 10:58 pm

csearle wrote:
swill453 wrote:
Stan wrote:My preference is a cheque and before anyone laughs paying by cheque and cash must be preserved (as most informed people know) in this Country because if their drip drip efforts to faze out both succeed they will eventually charge us for spending our own money.

Well in the past they did charge us for spending our own money, and that was back when cheques and cash were the only ways.

Free banking is here to stay in such a competitive marketplace I think.

Scott.
I hope so but I recall a period in Germany (very early 2000s) where there were banks providing free banking that gave up and reverted to charging.. Hope it doesn't happen here! C.


Exactly csearle thank you, unless the increasingly passive masses on this Island get their fingers out the corporates will continue to laugh all the way to their off shore tax scrounging banks, so please wake up and do something, I thank you.

JonE
Lemon Slice
Posts: 353
Joined: November 11th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: Supporting The Lemon Fool - Donations (versus Adverts)

#274791

Postby JonE » January 3rd, 2020, 10:47 am

swill453 wrote:Well in the past they did charge us for spending our own money, and that was back when cheques and cash were the only ways.

I don't recollect being charged by the bank for its own benefit but the government certainly charged.

Stamp duty of 2d used to apply to cheques so, for example, a book of 30 pre-printed cheques carrying an embossed 'stamp' was charged at 60 pence - 5 shillings. Pre-printing wasn't necessary so you could write a cheque on the side of a cow provided you affixed a 2d stamp. This stamp duty on cheques had ended by the time of decimalisation - but only just.

It also used to be the case that for a receipt for more than two quid to be valid it had to be signed over a tuppenny stamp. A charge for receiving money as well as for spending it!

Cheers!

swill453
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3680
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Has thanked: 274 times
Been thanked: 1209 times

Re: Supporting The Lemon Fool - Donations (versus Adverts)

#274798

Postby swill453 » January 3rd, 2020, 11:11 am

JonE wrote:
swill453 wrote:Well in the past they did charge us for spending our own money, and that was back when cheques and cash were the only ways.

I don't recollect being charged by the bank for its own benefit but the government certainly charged.

I'm pretty sure in the late 70s and early 80s my bank charged per cheque unless you had a student account.

Scott.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half
Posts: 5523
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 1408 times
Been thanked: 1572 times

Re: Supporting The Lemon Fool - Donations (versus Adverts)

#274846

Postby PinkDalek » January 3rd, 2020, 1:32 pm

Stan wrote:Exactly csearle thank you, unless the increasingly passive masses on this Island get their fingers out the corporates will continue to laugh all the way to their off shore tax scrounging banks, so please wake up and do something, I thank you.


I'm not convinced the Biscuit Bar is the place to discuss such matters.

Did you by any chance miss my earlier reply, which provided options as to how you may make your donation online, by cheque or by cash?

tjh290633
Lemon Half
Posts: 5014
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:20 am
Has thanked: 410 times
Been thanked: 1990 times

Re: Supporting The Lemon Fool - Donations (versus Adverts)

#274871

Postby tjh290633 » January 3rd, 2020, 2:37 pm

swill453 wrote:
JonE wrote:
swill453 wrote:Well in the past they did charge us for spending our own money, and that was back when cheques and cash were the only ways.

I don't recollect being charged by the bank for its own benefit but the government certainly charged.

I'm pretty sure in the late 70s and early 80s my bank charged per cheque unless you had a student account.

Scott.

I can remember being charged for my account, then they introduced a rule, about 1970 or thereabouts, which said that if you maintained a balance of at least £100 and did not go overdrawn, then you paid no charges. I know that I wrote a program for our BBC computer in the early 80s, so that I could top my account up if there was danger of falling below £100.

Mind you, I go back to the days of handwritten statements and arrangements to cash cheques at certain branches, other than your own, where they immediately recognised you.

TJH

jfgw
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1288
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:36 pm
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: Supporting The Lemon Fool - Donations (versus Adverts)

#274942

Postby jfgw » January 3rd, 2020, 5:02 pm

Can I barter a sheep when my current donation expires next October?

Julian F. G. W.

(I am probably not alone in thinking that the latter part of this thread ought really to be moved to The Snug. (Not my decision though).)

stooz
Site Admin
Posts: 933
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 11:03 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 278 times

Re: Supporting The Lemon Fool - Donations (versus Adverts)

#274973

Postby stooz » January 3rd, 2020, 6:13 pm

Stan it would cost me as load to post the cheque to the bank and they then charge me to process it.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half
Posts: 5523
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 1408 times
Been thanked: 1572 times

Re: Supporting The Lemon Fool - Donations (versus Adverts)

#275003

Postby PinkDalek » January 3rd, 2020, 8:24 pm

stooz wrote:Stan it would cost me as load to post the cheque to the bank and they then charge me to process it.


I'm surprised you'd discount a voluntary donation in such a way. Assuming it would cover the costs you mention (all of £1.50 or so) and, of course, your time (which'll be more valuable no doubt). There are other methods of paying in cheques nowadays, if available to you, as discussed recently at DAK here (I don't know if available for limited companies):

viewtopic.php?p=274205#p274205

Having said that, Stan has been given sufficient methods to make the donation, should he so wish, earlier in the thread. If you receive a cheque (or folding notes) and don't bank it that's your call. :)

stooz
Site Admin
Posts: 933
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 11:03 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 278 times

Re: Supporting The Lemon Fool - Donations (versus Adverts)

#275648

Postby stooz » January 7th, 2020, 7:41 am

I'm not discounting it just sharing information on the costs. If you want to send a cheque, that's more than generous of anyone and gratefully received.


Return to “Biscuit Bar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests