Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Busy Server

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Dod101
The full Lemon

Busy Server

Postby Dod101 » March 30th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Does anyone else have the problem that having set out a new post, pressed the submit button, a message comes back to say that the server is too busy, and I then lose the draft post. B***** infuriating I must say.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Busy Server

Postby Itsallaguess » March 30th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Does anyone else have the problem that having set out a new post, pressed the submit button, a message comes back to say that the server is too busy, and I then lose the draft post.

B***** infuriating I must say.

I've had similar issues recently when composing a few posts, but I've noticed that in all instances, if I leave it long enough then the post does get inserted correctly. Opening a new tab and navigating to the relevant board usually confirms this, and doing it this way, with a new tab, carries an important back-up option if it's failed, as covered below....

On a separate note though, if you have issues like this when creating a new post, and you might get an error message or any other sort of time-out after hitting the 'Submit' button, does the 'Back' function of your browser not revert back to the post-creation window?

Cheers,

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 30th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Dod101 wrote:... and I then lose the draft post. ...

There is another option, which I rarely use, which is to save your post as a draft. Go to Preview, then click on Save draft below and so on.

Another is to copy your reply before attempting to post. If you can't find your reply then start again by pasting.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 30th, 2019, 1:05 pm

IAAG

Doesn't seem to as far as I can see. The draft just gets lost in the ether.

PD

Thanks I may try that. It does not happen every time but usually it is simple stuff that goes first time and an opus that gets lost, naturally.

Dod

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 30th, 2019, 6:56 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Dod101 wrote:... and I then lose the draft post. ...

There is another option, which I rarely use, which is to save your post as a draft. Go to Preview, then click on Save draft below and so on.

Another is to copy your reply before attempting to post. If you can't find your reply then start again by pasting.

This sounds to me like the same problem as was discussed in viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16695 a few weeks ago - might be worth taking a look.

It might or might not be exactly the same problem as I've been experiencing and mentioned there, of course, but if it is, then it can definitely also strike on Preview, Save draft and pressing Back on one's browser. It does seem to be particularly common for Submit, at least compared with Preview, but I lost a few posts before giving up on those techniques, so now if I've got a post composed on my browser, I take a copy of it before asking the browser to do anything with it. All it requires is pressing ctrl-A, ctrl-C before pressing any of the buttons, and by now, that's become so habitual that I would have to make more of an effort to stop myself doing it than just to let it flow from my fingers...

Gengulphus

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 30th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Thanks Gengulphus. I missed that thread. My problem is almost exactly as you have described it so I may adopt your solution as well. It really is most annoying.

Dod

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 31st, 2019, 2:59 pm

Tis annoying to lose a post.
So on this and all other fora, I routinely copy my musings before preview or submission, and indeed during compilation if I am being long-winded.

It takes less than half a second, using the keyboard not the mouse.

From the bottom:
Ctrl/shift
Home
Ctrl/c

Now you've copied it into your paste buffer. If it disappears into the internet ether, just press Ctrl/v to paste it again, or to paste it into Word if you need to save it for longer.

V8

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » April 1st, 2019, 11:52 am

I always use Preview as a "save".
If you preview your post, you can always then edit it. You can always go Back to a Preview because it is correctly formatted html. You can't always go back to a compose as you often get an empty edit box :( . Especially on Safari.
So Preview often, and always before posting. It actually helps as a preview too ;) Often much easier to spot errors in the formatted text than the edit box.

Gryff

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » April 1st, 2019, 12:15 pm

gryffron wrote:I always use Preview as a "save". ...

Yes but Gengulphus has suggested that even Preview might not be successful.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » April 1st, 2019, 12:26 pm

PinkDalek wrote:

I accept that. That's why i said "Preview often". i.e. Write a paragraph - Preview - repeat. It's so quick - just one click - no reason not to.

Gryff

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » April 1st, 2019, 1:00 pm

gryffron wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

I accept that. That's why i said "Preview often". i.e. Write a paragraph - Preview - repeat. It's so quick - just one click - no reason not to.

If you're on a mobile internet connection (as I often am), it may not be all that quick! And one click per paragraph + occasionally having to retype a lost paragraph might well end up taking more time overall than ctrl-A, ctrl-C each time you actually want to preview... Basically, keeping it local to your machine minimises the amount that can go wrong.

But there are doubtless disadvantages to ctrl-A, ctrl-C as well. So basically, all I wold suggest is that one tries suggested solutions until one finds a solution that works well with the setup one is using.

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”