Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

it's raining deletions

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: it's raining deletions

Postby csearle » April 29th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I've just noticed your link, thank you. From what I see in that link, there is no room for posters to have a communal discussion about moderation or compare views about it.

In other words, it's a gagging order. Make of that what you will, but "draconian" springs to mind. A discussion site without the possibility of discussion seems an odd concept.
I just can't quite believe this. On TMF there was zero discussion of moderation. Here it is clearly tolerated, as can be seen with this thread. So to talk about a gagging order is totally over the top.

You and some others might like to use HYP-P for discussing all sorts of company matters, treating it more like a pub, but there are many others that don't want to sift through lots of posts irrelevant to the practical aspects of running an HYP, however interesting, to gain access to the nuggets of HYP relevant information. For that reason we have guidelines. The Company News board has provided a very useful place to put interesting stuff that does not need have relevance to HYP. It appears to be working well.

The guidelines are there to allow the owners to steer the structure of the site. You use it. We moderate it. Most people, including those at least as venerable as yourself, manage to accept this. Sometimes one's posts get deleted. Others have had their posts deleted for whatever reason. I've had mine deleted. Other moderators have had theirs deleted. I've deleted posts of both users and moderators if they have not been able to be brought within the guidelines with a nifty edit. It is not a punishment. It is just a consequence of having a moderated site. Doubtless there will be differences between TMF moderation and TLF moderation. That was part of their job and with us it is a voluntary thing we do because we, like many of this whole community, have a love of the site. Most of us have day jobs. If this site were not moderated then it would almost certainly take on an altogether different character.

Regards,
Chris
PS If a link is posted on HYP-P to an article on Company News then the question arises as to where to respond. Personally I think that the HYP-Practical aspects of the discussion could go on the link but more general responses would be better put on the Company News thread (at least they would be less likely to be deleted there).

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 29th, 2019, 9:24 pm

csearle wrote:On TMF there was zero discussion of moderation.

That's not quite true. There was a "Civil Discussion Board" on TMF where Fools were allowed to discuss moderation. In fact that was mostly all that was on there.

The problem there was not so much that there was no place to discuss moderation but rather that the TMF Mods were quite rigid and defensive about their decisions. So whilst it felt good sometimes to expose and publicise their decisions and mistakes, not much ever changed as a result of it. Except of course that eventually the community imploded.

I have had a TLF Mod reverse their deletion decision upon appeal. That never happened at TMF.

I do not disagree with the rest of your post.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » April 29th, 2019, 9:33 pm

The TMF community did not implode, don't exaggerate.

And I had a post reinstated on TMF once, when BnC famously claimed that some vegetarian concoction could be called a Scotch egg and I contested it could not, my post was removed and reinstated when I proved my point to the mod.

Mel

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 29th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Lootman wrote:That's not quite true. There was a "Civil Discussion Board" on TMF where Fools were allowed to discuss moderation. In fact that was mostly all that was on there.
I stand corrected. :)

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”