Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Noob Question

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Blatter

Noob Question

Postby Blatter » November 6th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Hi all,

Just found The Lemon Fool today and have been enjoying reading the wealth of knowledge here!

I would like to know if there's a setting that can be implemented to enable opening links in a new webpage rather than having the existing page move to the linked page?

What I've been finding today is that I've followed a number of links and by the time I've read the linked article and followed other linked articles, I've lost my way back to The Lemon Fool site. If linked articles could be opened in a separate page/window, it would make getting back to TLF so much easier.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Blatter

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Noob Question

Postby mc2fool » November 6th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Blatter wrote:Any help would be gratefully received.

Hold down the ctrl key while you click on the link you want to appear in a new tab.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 6th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Or on PC use the RIGHT mouse button to click on the link, and it gives you a whole load of choices.
Or on iPad hold down the link for several seconds for similar choices (might work on other pads too)

Gryff

Blatter

Postby Blatter » November 6th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. Both work!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 6th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Blatter wrote:...by the time I've read the linked article and followed other linked articles, I've lost my way back ...

BTW, you can always get back by just clicking the back button enough times, but you can also (in Firefox and Chrome at least, maybe other browsers) either click-down-and-hold or right-click on the back button and it'll give you a popup of the most recent dozen entries on the back "stack", and you can select one directly.

If where you want to get back to is more than a dozen down just click on the bottommost one and then repeat the click-down-and-hold or right-click on the back button.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » November 6th, 2019, 10:53 pm

I simply bookmark TLF (CTRL-D on all modern browsers), which makes it easy to get back to the opening page.

From there I can check recent posts, posts that I have contributed to (so naturally have a interest) and posts that I have not read.

The "right mouse button" idea is possibly more usefull though. If you are responding to a post in a long thread, you can pull up the entire thread in a seperate tab or window to look at by using that trick on the thread title.Then check that you are not repeating others, and that your words are not already pointed out as factually incorect, before you post them. At least that's what I try to do, though I don't always remeber to do so.

Welcome to TLF by the way. I hope you have fun here.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 6th, 2019, 11:11 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:The "right mouse button" idea is possibly more usefull though. If you are responding to a post in a long thread, you can pull up the entire thread in a seperate tab or window to look at by using that trick on the thread title.

Or just click the back button while holding down the ctrl or shift key. :D

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 7th, 2019, 12:56 am

Urbandreamer wrote:[If you are responding to a post in a long thread, you can pull up the entire thread in a seperate tab or window to look at by using that trick on the thread title. ...

Serious question but if you have found a way to display the entire thread on one webpage kindly share it!

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”