Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

"Not authorised to read this forum"

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

"Not authorised to read this forum"

Postby Bouleversee » November 22nd, 2019, 9:43 am

I clicked on a notification about replies from 3 members re Labour Manifesto Dividend Tax and was told I was not authorised to read this forum. Why not, or is it, as I suspect, some problem with the site as it doesn't make sense.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: "Not authorised to read this forum"

Postby Lootman » November 22nd, 2019, 9:47 am

Bouleversee wrote:I clicked on a notification about replies from 3 members re Labour Manifesto Dividend Tax and was told I was not authorised to read this forum. Why not, or is it, as I suspect, some problem with the site as it doesn't make sense.

You need to register for it now:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19769

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 22nd, 2019, 10:19 am

Lootman wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:I clicked on a notification about replies from 3 members re Labour Manifesto Dividend Tax and was told I was not authorised to read this forum. Why not, or is it, as I suspect, some problem with the site as it doesn't make sense.

Thanks, Lootman. I was blissfully unaware of that thread and having read it, I think I'll pass. Life is far too short for all that. It would be nice if we had polite discussions on all the financial boards as well. I don't know why I got the notification as I don't recall ever clicking on anything relevant to that topic or indeed the Polite Discussion board at all, not that that necessarily means anything.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 22nd, 2019, 10:21 am

Bouleversee wrote:I clicked on a notification about replies from 3 members re Labour Manifesto Dividend Tax ...

Further to the Lootman's response (how to access Polite Discussions), that Topic was previously elsewhere and has now been moved to PD.

PD

Edit: I've now seen your follow-up post. You probably registered for Notifications where that Topic previously existed, namely High Yield Shares & Strategies - general.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 22nd, 2019, 5:17 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Thanks, Lootman. I was blissfully unaware of that thread and having read it, I think I'll pass. Life is far too short for all that. It would be nice if we had polite discussions on all the financial boards as well. I don't know why I got the notification as I don't recall ever clicking on anything relevant to that topic or indeed the Polite Discussion board at all, not that that necessarily means anything.

Unfortunately, that thread was discussion of the merits of the change and as always, there were lots of differing viewpoints on those merits. As a result, it's far too voluminous for someone like you who (if I understand correctly) just wants to know how to deal with the "Not authorised to read this forum" message.

I did produce a short set of instructions in another thread about how to make yourself able to access Polite Discussions - it's in viewtopic.php?p=258648#p258648 (just that post, not the rest of the thread). It will incidentally avoid encountering the same problem again on any thread that is moved to Polite Discussions, not just the thread you encountered the problem on this time. It might of course stop working if stooz & Clariman decide to make further changes to the site in future, but other than that, it should get rid of the message permanently.

Gengulphus

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 22nd, 2019, 5:39 pm

Thanks, Geng, but I really haven't time to read any long discussions that are not relevant to my investments so don't want to sign up to PD and I now unsubscribe from any long ding-dongs, which avoids wasting time responding to email notifications.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 22nd, 2019, 8:34 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Thanks, Geng, but I really haven't time to read any long discussions that are not relevant to my investments so don't want to sign up to PD and I now unsubscribe from any long ding-dongs, which avoids wasting time responding to email notifications.

No problem - getting the link to my instructions for dealing with "Not authorised to read this forum" into a thread with this subject will hopefully help others even if it hasn't helped you.

And by the way, I have what I find to be a better way of avoiding time responding to email notifications - I've got them all switched off at ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options except for the "Your topics/posts are approved or disapproved by a moderator" one, and even that one is only switched on because I don't believe TLF uses it at all (I've never received such a notification) but do want to know and potentially respond quite quickly if they start. So in practice, email notifications from TLF never interrupt me when I'm doing other things - I only get the internal notifications, which only come to my attention at all when I'm actually on TLF. And even for those internal notifications, I only have the "Your topics/posts are approved or disapproved by a moderator" and "Someone creates a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed" ones switched on, and only the latter actually occurs in practice. That draws new threads in areas of interest to me to my attention, and I respond by looking at the thread and bookmarking it if I'm interested - if I'm not, I basically never see the thread again unless something else draws my attention to it, such as a link in a post. For my usual reading, I work from ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=bookmarks, with the red circles to the left of threads indicating the ones containing posts I haven't yet red. The whole lot together works quite well for me, allowing me to keep abreast of the stuff I'm interested in without intruding into all the other things I do using email.

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”