Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Has thanked / Been thanked

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Has thanked / Been thanked

Postby Howyoudoin » January 8th, 2020, 9:27 am

Has it always been possible to see the list of people that have thanked other user's posts and also see the list of others that that same user has thanked?

I always knew that this information was available for one's self within the Profile section of your account settings but had naively thought that it was hidden from others, like it used to be on TMF.

Not so it seems.

HYD

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Has thanked / Been thanked

Postby redsturgeon » January 8th, 2020, 9:29 am

Howyoudoin wrote:Has it always been possible to see the list of people that have thanked other user's posts and also see the list of others that that same user has thanked?

I always knew that this information was available for one's self within the Profile section of your account settings but had naively thought that it was hidden from others, like it used to be on TMF.

Not so it seems.

HYD

It has always been available here. Top left, under "Quick Links" - "Best Users".

John

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 8th, 2020, 9:48 am

redsturgeon wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:Has it always been possible to see the list of people that have thanked other user's posts and also see the list of others that that same user has thanked?

Not so it seems.

HYD

It has always been available here. Top left, under "Quick Links" - "Best Users".

John

Yeah, Top Recommended Users used to be available on TMF too but you were not able to dig down and see every single person that had ever recommended another user's posts.

HYD

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 8th, 2020, 9:51 am

I think it was discussed, probably on this board, at the time it came out. It's why some notable users have never thanked anybody, for personal privacy reasons.

Scott.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 8th, 2020, 10:10 am

swill453 wrote:I think it was discussed, probably on this board, at the time it came out. It's why some notable users have never thanked anybody, for personal privacy reasons.

Scott.

Thanks Scott.

I was a latecomer to this site so missed those discussions. I can certainly see now why some users have never thanked anybody!

Shame as I would've thought it would be a fairly simple job to hide this information.

HYD

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 8th, 2020, 11:14 am

I use thanks when the post is useful to me, or it says something which I might have said myself. This saves adding another superfluous post.

TJH

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 8th, 2020, 11:37 am

tjh290633 wrote:I use thanks when the post is useful to me, or it says something which I might have said myself. This saves adding another superfluous post.

TJH

(total recs 2)

My bold.

Well I can see clearly that your post was useful to Watis and vrdriver (so far).

:)

HYD

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 8th, 2020, 11:55 am

tjh290633 wrote:I use thanks when the post is useful to me, or it says something which I might have said myself. This saves adding another superfluous post.

TJH

Yes, I also use the thank you button if someone has answered a question of mine or added information to a point of mine, but where I feel it unnecessary/superfluous to post a thank you on the thread. It thus lets them know I have read and appreciate their post.
Last edited by richfool on January 8th, 2020, 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 8th, 2020, 12:02 pm

richfool wrote:

TJH

Yes, I also use the thank you button if someone has answered a question of mine or added information to a point of mine, but where I feel it unnecessary/superfluous to post a thank you on the thread.

I'm well aware of the reasons that people 'thank' others - I do it myself.

But rightly or wrongly, it makes me uncomfortable that my history of doing so is available for any registered user to see.

HYD

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 8th, 2020, 1:46 pm

swill453 wrote:I think it was discussed, probably on this board, at the time it came out. It's why some notable users have never thanked anybody, for personal privacy reasons.

As I recall the thanking facility was introduced about six months after TLF started. During that time there were various debates about whether it was a good idea or not. Some didn't want it and, presumably, a larger number did want it.

I'm not sure how you know why some Lemons don't thank others unless you have researched who they are and asked them. But if you define "notable" as either the most active or the most thanked Lemons then I can only find one in the first screen under Quick Links who has never thanked anyone, and that is Gengulphus. When you get to the second screen there are a couple more although one of them mostly posts on Polite Discussions, where thanks are not allowed anyway.

The inability to thank others on some boards might explain why Lemons who are only active on those boards never thank anyone or get thanked.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 8th, 2020, 2:57 pm

Lootman wrote:[But if you define "notable" as either the most active or the most thanked Lemons then I can only find one in the first screen under Quick Links who has never thanked anyone, and that is Gengulphus. ...

For reasons possibily explained in the opening Topic on the subject, where he supported anonymous recs but best to read what he wrote, as against my brief summary:

Recs, come and get your recs, fresh in this morning..
viewtopic.php?p=53165#p53165

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 8th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:[But rightly or wrongly, it makes me uncomfortable that my history of doing so is available for any registered user to see.

Totally understood (not that I mind) but, at least, I don't think all you've recced is visible, as it appears to be restricted to the last 50 or so. The remainder appearing as and "XXX" more users.

You could always test the system on my post and see what happens. :D

Then feel free to unrec.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 8th, 2020, 3:19 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:[But rightly or wrongly, it makes me uncomfortable that my history of doing so is available for any registered user to see.

Totally understood (not that I mind) but, at least, I don't think all you've recced is visible, as it appears to be restricted to the last 50 or so. The remainder appearing as and "XXX" more users.

You could always test the system on my post and see what happens. :D

Then feel free to unrec.

:)

You'll be glad to know that i've used you as a guinea pig and found every post that you've ever recced (over 1,100) starting with the oldest: app.php/thankslist/givens/259/true

HYD

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 8th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:You'll be glad to know that i've used you as a guinea pig and found every post that you've ever recced (over 1,100) starting with the oldest: app.php/thankslist/givens/259/true

Wow, thanks, duly bookmarked.

I would appear to have back tested the system.

The first two on the list (and plenty more) were not available to be recced at the time, yet they surely deserve more than 3 and 4 recs, albeit retrospectively.

viewtopic.php?t=2&p=2#p2
viewtopic.php?t=3&p=3#p3

Before anyone asks viewtopic.php?t=1.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”