Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Answering several replies with extracts

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Answering several replies with extracts

Postby Jonetc15 » January 20th, 2020, 7:48 pm

I don’t know whether the Biscuit Bar is the right place to ask, but I have one question to which I really will appreciate an answer.

Frequently I want to comment on several posts in one reply rather than replying to each post individually – cutting and pasting an extract from the first post and answering that, then commenting on second and third posts on my single reply. In case I’ve explained it badly, I simply want to write one reply covering three previous posts.

I’ll greatly appreciate help with this.

ATB
Jon

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Answering several replies with extracts

Postby Itsallaguess » January 20th, 2020, 8:01 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:
I don’t know whether the Biscuit Bar is the right place to ask, but I have one question to which I really will appreciate an answer.

Frequently I want to comment on several posts in one reply rather than replying to each post individually – cutting and pasting an extract from the first post and answering that, then commenting on second and third posts on my single reply. In case I’ve explained it badly, I simply want to write one reply covering three previous posts.

Hi Jon,

You would need to make sure you do two things to achieve the above -

1. Know the exact spelling of the usernames you are replying to in each section

2. Wrap the sections you want to reply to with quote/un-quote tags correctly, with your reply to each section coming after each of the un-quote tags.

Here's an example, where you might be replying to three posters - Poster1, Poster2, and Poster3. Note that the quote tags need the unique user-names, but also note that the un-quote tags are the same each time -

If you were to enter the text above in a reply, then the resulting post will look like this, which I think is what you're hoping to achieve -

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 20th, 2020, 8:13 pm

It should be quite simple. You open the reply box then scroll down to the first post to which you wish to reply. Now click on the "quote" icon on that post (") and it will appear in your reply box where your cursor lies. Edit to suit your reply. Repeat for the next post and so on.

Best done on a PC if you wish to edit the quotes to any extent. It's a bit of a bind on a mobile phone.

To demonstrate:

Jonetc15 wrote:I don’t know whether the Biscuit Bar is the right place to ask, but I have one question to which I really will appreciate an answer.

I’ll greatly appreciate help with this.

ATB
Jon

That was done using the method I have given, after I had written my reply on my phone.

TJH

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 20th, 2020, 9:03 pm

tjh290633 wrote:It should be quite simple. You open the reply box then scroll down to the first post to which you wish to reply. Now click on the "quote" icon on that post (") and it will appear in your reply box where your cursor lies. Edit to suit your reply. Repeat for the next post and so on. ...

That was done using the method I have given, after I had written my reply on my phone.

I’m so glad Jon asked the question. You learn something new every day. Though I’ll probably forget it. I don’t recall this method being discussed here before.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » January 20th, 2020, 11:04 pm

There is a much easier method.

Click on one of the "Post Reply" buttons, either the one at the top or the one at the bottom. Do not click the quote (") button top right of a post unless you want to quote that entire post.

Now scroll down to the post you want to quote. Highlight the bit you want to quote and click the quote (") button top right of that post. The highlit part of that post will appear as a quotation within your post. Repeat to quote other sections of posts.

Julian F. G. W.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 20th, 2020, 11:07 pm

jfgw wrote:Click on one of the "Post Reply" buttons, either the one at the top or the one at the bottom. Do not click the quote (") button top right of a post unless you want to quote that entire post.
PinkDalek wrote:I’m so glad Jon asked the question. You learn something new every day.

Wow!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 21st, 2020, 4:41 am

jfgw wrote:

Click on one of the "Post Reply" buttons, either the one at the top or the one at the bottom. Do not click the quote (") button top right of a post unless you want to quote that entire post.

Now scroll down to the post you want to quote. Highlight the bit you want to quote and click the quote (") button top right of that post. The highlit part of that post will appear as a quotation within your post. Repeat to quote other sections of posts.

Bravo!

I wonder how many other little tricks like this exist that we're not aware of!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » January 21st, 2020, 10:20 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
jfgw wrote:

Bravo!

I wonder how many other little tricks like this exist that we're not aware of!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Just to thank everyone for their trouble in replying. I have to say that I’m so glad that I wasn’t alone in wondering about this technique. It’s enormously satisfying when so many people take immediate time and trouble to help. Very many thanks.

All the very best
Jon

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 24th, 2020, 11:41 am

Itsallaguess wrote:I wonder how many other little tricks like this exist that we're not aware of!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

A quick and dirty method when replying to multiple posts is to reply to one, cut the reply, thumb click back to the thread, click reply on the next message, paste the cut reply in to the top of the new reply, compose new reply, cut new reply, click back to the thread ...repeat ad infinitum ...then post your compound reply.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 24th, 2020, 11:54 am

BobbyD wrote:[A quick and dirty method when replying to multiple posts is to ...

I think jfgw's method is quicker and less dirty!

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 24th, 2020, 12:08 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
BobbyD wrote:[A quick and dirty method when replying to multiple posts is to ...

I think jfgw's method is quicker and less dirty!

It depends on the post you are replying to, how much you want to quote, and how detailed your response is. I use any number of ways of replying to multiple posts, and if you are looking at brief replies to numerous short unedited posts, and you have a thumb button on your mouse which takes you back to the previous page then it's as quick as any, especially if you select all, cut and paste using your keyboard rather than your mouse.

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » January 24th, 2020, 4:15 pm

BobbyD wrote:A quick and dirty method when replying to multiple posts is to reply to one, cut the reply, thumb click back to the thread, click reply on the next message,...

What's a thumb click?

Thanks,
StepOne

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 25th, 2020, 1:15 am

StepOne wrote:
BobbyD wrote:A quick and dirty method when replying to multiple posts is to reply to one, cut the reply, thumb click back to the thread, click reply on the next message,...

What's a thumb click?

Thanks,
StepOne

Thumb button on the side of the mouse, takes your browser back a page.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 8th, 2020, 10:11 am

jfgw wrote:

This is such a great and hidden technique for replying with several extracts that I've created a video of the process here, if anyone ever struggles with the concept -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22151&p=289143#p289143

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 8th, 2020, 10:56 pm

BobbyD wrote:
StepOne wrote:

What's a thumb click?

Thanks,
StepOne

Thumb button on the side of the mouse, takes your browser back a page.

If you have a mouse with such a button. (I do now, but have only just acquired it.) It's not a standard thing.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”