Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,johnhemming,Anonymous,Rhyd6,dredd0, for Donating to support the site

Lemons who suddenly vanish

Pull up a chair, have a biscuit - discuss the site and general questions about the LemonFool
Lootman
Lemon Half
Posts: 7011
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 1138 times

Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280755

Postby Lootman » January 29th, 2020, 8:19 am

Two of the most formerly prolific Lemons, both here and on TMF, seem to have vanished. Melonfool stopped posting in May apart from a handful of posts late last year. And Gengulphus hasn't been seen since November.

People come and go all the time of course, but it is perhaps unusual for a long-standing contributor to suddenly go AWOL without explanation.

Hopefully both souls are fine and hearty. But I'm going to be taking a break myself, so thought I'd mention that. I feel sure that will be met with glee in some quarters :D

But as Arnie said, I'll be back.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1445
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:53 am
Has thanked: 1924 times
Been thanked: 248 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280758

Postby jackdaww » January 29th, 2020, 8:31 am

i had noticed that , much less traffic on the HYP board lately..

keep going !!!!!!

:D :D

swill453
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3225
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Has thanked: 234 times
Been thanked: 975 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280764

Postby swill453 » January 29th, 2020, 8:44 am

Melonfool was "last active" yesterday, so perhaps she simply hasn't the time or inclination to post much these days.

Scott.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3699
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:51 pm
Has thanked: 1576 times
Been thanked: 1792 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280765

Postby Snorvey » January 29th, 2020, 8:46 am

jackdaww wrote:i had noticed that , much less traffic on the HYP board lately..

keep going !!!!!!

:D :D


Yes, but surely that's a good thing?

Watis
Lemon Slice
Posts: 727
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 10:53 am
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 214 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280773

Postby Watis » January 29th, 2020, 9:11 am

I'm aware of three Fools whose posts ceased in a cliff edge way. There will be others.

One is manzanilla, who posted frequently in the TMF days but last posted here in 2018 - her only post that year.

Another was a New Zealander with a name like Benson17, who posted regularly to the Your Tomorrow Starts Today board.

And there was a guy in Norfolk who posted daily in favour of the Scottish independence referendum in 2014, so on TMF. His postings just stopped one day. But he was in his eighties . . .

Watis

Gostevie
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 130
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 428 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280783

Postby Gostevie » January 29th, 2020, 9:36 am

Watis wrote:One is manzanilla, who posted frequently in the TMF days but last posted here in 2018 - her only post that year.

Watis


Manzanilla still posts regularly on her own website:

https://debtcamel.co.uk/blog/

I too was wondering what happened to Gengulphus. I do hope he is okay.

Gostevie

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4098
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Has thanked: 1039 times
Been thanked: 1431 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280823

Postby bungeejumper » January 29th, 2020, 11:46 am

I had a spell last autumn when my password suddenly stopped functioning, which vanished me for a few weeks. I requested an email prompt so that I could change the password, but for some reason that didn't come through either. I was cut loose! Woe and alas!

I don't do social media, but now I know why Snapchatters and WhatsAppers get so antsy about not being able to keep in touch 24 hours a day. :D For a week, it really bothered me. For another two weeks, it actually felt slightly liberating because I could get more done during my day. Then, in an idle moment, I resent the email reminder request and it worked. I was back in.

Having rediscovered my post/life balance, I resolved to post a little less heavily in future. That hasn't worked either. Looks like you're stuck with me, guys. ;)

BJ

Arborbridge
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4618
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:33 am
Has thanked: 983 times
Been thanked: 1590 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280827

Postby Arborbridge » January 29th, 2020, 11:53 am

Lootman wrote:Two of the most formerly prolific Lemons, both here and on TMF, seem to have vanished. Melonfool stopped posting in May apart from a handful of posts late last year. And Gengulphus hasn't been seen since November.

People come and go all the time of course, but it is perhaps unusual for a long-standing contributor to suddenly go AWOL without explanation.

Hopefully both souls are fine and hearty. But I'm going to be taking a break myself, so thought I'd mention that. I feel sure that will be met with glee in some quarters :D

But as Arnie said, I'll be back.


I hope your break isn't too long. We don't always agree, but it's good to have someone around who isn't anodyne ;)

As regards Gengulphus, it is a bit worrying as he is usually someone with good points to make and in great depth.. I was aware he was posting less, so maybe he just feels he has said it all, or quite possibly has a lot on his plate. Hopefully, he will pop back in soon.

servodude
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1166
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:56 am
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 274 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280830

Postby servodude » January 29th, 2020, 11:56 am

I remember when Hokusai left us

I don't "do" social media (other than "the/whichever" Fool)
- I never posted much; I read much more
- I was surprised how affected I was

Be safe, be well
-sd

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4745
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280911

Postby XFool » January 29th, 2020, 3:47 pm

Arborbridge wrote:As regards Gengulphus, it is a bit worrying as he is usually someone with good points to make and in great depth.. I was aware he was posting less, so maybe he just feels he has said it all, or quite possibly has a lot on his plate. Hopefully, he will pop back in soon.

I have to tell you now that Genguluphus appears alive and well and posts on ADVFN. ;)

Last post 25 January.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3699
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:51 pm
Has thanked: 1576 times
Been thanked: 1792 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280918

Postby Snorvey » January 29th, 2020, 4:08 pm

XFool wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:As regards Gengulphus, it is a bit worrying as he is usually someone with good points to make and in great depth.. I was aware he was posting less, so maybe he just feels he has said it all, or quite possibly has a lot on his plate. Hopefully, he will pop back in soon.

I have to tell you now that Genguluphus appears alive and well and posts on ADVFN. ;)

Last post 25 January.


So it's just us then? <sniffs armpit>

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1445
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:53 am
Has thanked: 1924 times
Been thanked: 248 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280920

Postby jackdaww » January 29th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Snorvey wrote:
XFool wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:As regards Gengulphus, it is a bit worrying as he is usually someone with good points to make and in great depth.. I was aware he was posting less, so maybe he just feels he has said it all, or quite possibly has a lot on his plate. Hopefully, he will pop back in soon.

I have to tell you now that Genguluphus appears alive and well and posts on ADVFN. ;)

Last post 25 January.


So it's just us then? <sniffs armpit>


=======================

how do we know its the same gengulphus?

(thinks -- probably by the style...)

:lol:

PinkDalek
Lemon Half
Posts: 5348
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 1328 times
Been thanked: 1512 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280926

Postby PinkDalek » January 29th, 2020, 4:59 pm

jackdaww wrote:how do we know its the same gengulphus?

(thinks -- probably by the style...)


That's the second time you may have been having a pop in this thread. Perhaps his style would be recognised due to the use of upper and lower case and such things. <<< Smiley thing.

You could always take a look. The two most recent posts were late this month. Prior to then there was a long gap.

doug2500
Lemon Slice
Posts: 325
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:51 am
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280955

Postby doug2500 » January 29th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Funny, I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen Clitherokid for a while.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half
Posts: 5348
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 1328 times
Been thanked: 1512 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280958

Postby PinkDalek » January 29th, 2020, 6:37 pm

doug2500 wrote:Funny, I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen Clitherokid for a while.


In person or on board?:

search.php?author_id=985&sr=posts

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice
Posts: 801
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 7:29 pm
Has thanked: 200 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280959

Postby BrummieDave » January 29th, 2020, 6:38 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
doug2500 wrote:Funny, I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen Clitherokid for a while.


In person or on board?:

search.php?author_id=985&sr=posts


Yeah, another 3 minutes and it will be a whole day... :o

doug2500
Lemon Slice
Posts: 325
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:51 am
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280962

Postby doug2500 » January 29th, 2020, 6:41 pm

BrummieDave wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:
doug2500 wrote:Funny, I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen Clitherokid for a while.


In person or on board?:

search.php?author_id=985&sr=posts


Yeah, another 3 minutes and it will be a whole day... :o


Well egg all over my face :oops:

Must be loosing it...

Hypster
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 157
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:53 am
Has thanked: 619 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280977

Postby Hypster » January 29th, 2020, 7:19 pm

This has reminded me that I should put together a 'digital will' - asking my executor to log on to various sites and let them know <username> won't be posting anymore.

Gostevie
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 130
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 428 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#280997

Postby Gostevie » January 29th, 2020, 8:43 pm

Hypster wrote:This has reminded me that I should put together a 'digital will' - asking my executor to log on to various sites and let them know <username> won't be posting anymore.


What an interesting point. I wonder what actually happens to one's 'Digital ID' when one shuffles off this mortal coil if nobody has the logins and passwords. Not a question for this board or thread of course but maybe I'll ask it on 'Does Anyone Know?'

Gostevie

SalvorHardin
Lemon Slice
Posts: 869
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:32 am
Has thanked: 858 times
Been thanked: 555 times

Re: Lemons who suddenly vanish

#281005

Postby SalvorHardin » January 29th, 2020, 9:33 pm

There are a few more reasons why people stop posting other than cashing in one's chips. Over the years I've been in situations which stopped me from posting on TMF UK three times (I started on TMF in 1999):

1) Writing for TMF (I had to change my user name).

2) Working where I was contractually forbidden from posting online about investment matters, unless previously approved by compliance (which took ages)

3) Dissuaded by solicitor from doing so due to an ongoing libel action following comments and threats on TMF (I won!)


Return to “Biscuit Bar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests