Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Using [table]

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Using [table]

Postby yorkshirelad1 » May 5th, 2020, 11:33 am

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place, Mods please feel to move to correct place as applicable)

I wanted to build a table to display some dadta, and can ceate a basic table using bbcode [table] with L= and ||
I was trying to find some further documentation on [table] and what else is possible. I'd have liked to add a style and borders, but couldn't find a way.
Can anyone point me in the direction of further info/documentation/examples of what will work on tlf to create some different table styles etc.
I'm happy with htm and CSS.
TIA

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Using [table]

Postby Itsallaguess » May 5th, 2020, 12:26 pm

yorkshirelad1 wrote:
I wanted to build a table to display some dadta, and can ceate a basic table using bbcode [table] with L= and ||

I was trying to find some further documentation on [table] and what else is possible.

I'd have liked to add a style and borders, but couldn't find a way.

Can anyone point me in the direction of further info/documentation/examples of what will work on tlf to create some different table styles etc.

kiloran has written a brilliant section on the Lemon Fool Financial Software site that can help you with a number of 'data-table' options, so it's probably worth you having a play with that -

http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebly.com/tableformat.html

There's a specific 'Test Board' area where you can have a play with posting the various styles of data, just to see what they will look like once they are used. You don't have to worry about testing anything out there, as the posts are flushed clean from the Test Board periodically, so fill your boots -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=28

Beyond those options though, if you're wanting to do anything more fancy, or are wanting to show charts and things, then you might be better off just taking a snapshot and then inserting that snapshot into a post using the IMGUR website to host the picture.

If that sounds like something that might interest you, then there's some instructions here that will hopefully help -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11255

Again, it's probably worth having a play with embedded pictures on the Test Board initially, just to make sure your process delivers the results that you need.

Please be aware that for copyright reasons, embedding your own picture content is fine, but it will be worth highlighting that this is the case in any posts where you do so. If you're embedding images from elsewhere, then you need to make it clear that the picture is not your own, and also provide a URL link in the same post that points to the source web-site of such images.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 5th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Not to forget the topic at the top of the Biscuit Bar:

HOW TO ADD TABLES (not my caps)
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1262

Itsallaguess wrote:Cross-post to the Financial Software Board, where I've linked to a short and simple online video-demonstration, showing how to use the TableFormat tool to convert from Excel data into table-format data ready to post into Lemon Fool posts -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=205728#p205728

If that is any interest whatsoever but may not be relevant to yorkshirelad1's specific queries.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » May 6th, 2020, 12:15 am

Thanks for the two replies.

Putting a standard table together with table and L= and || is fairly straighforward, using this board's version of bbcode. html does not seem to be permitted.

What I would like to be able to do is add styles e.g. [table style="width:80%;"] or [table border=number] which should be possible in bbcode, but this board doesn't seem to support it

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 6th, 2020, 12:33 am

I think that there is quite a lot of bbcode that is not supported here. Doesn't mean it never will be though as much of it seems to be supported by optional plug-ins, which can be added if the owners deem it worth the installation effort, so make your case!

Chris

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » May 6th, 2020, 9:48 am

csearle wrote:I think that there is quite a lot of bbcode that is not supported here. Doesn't mean it never will be though as much of it seems to be supported by optional plug-ins, which can be added if the owners deem it worth the installation effort, so make your case!

Chris

OK. Thanks for that. I'm not familiar with bbcode at all, but quite happy with html and css etc, so assumed it was analgous.

In the first instance, might the board owners share some documentation which bits of bbcode table _are_ available. There is info on bbcode for this board at https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/faq.php?mode=bbcode but doesn't include much about table.

In the second instance, would it be possible to have some more flexibility with the current bbcode table format. The default styling for bbcode table is OK, but it would be nice to adapt it e.g. with styles and/or border= and its cousins. But TBH I don't know how much work is involved and it's a bit niche, and this board is run as a voluntary arrangement, so I'd quite understand if it didn't happen, but if you don't ask you don't get....

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”