Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Pulled posts

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Pulled posts

Postby Itsallaguess » May 23rd, 2020, 9:41 am

Wizard wrote:
The identity of the mod was only revealed by raising it here, which is not what is supposed to happen.

There is no compulsion on moderators to send PM messages where moderator-action is taken.

Where that doesn't happen, for whatever reason (and there are likely to be a variety of reasons why this might not happen...), any board users have an opportunity to raise a question here.

That process was followed and a satisfactory outcome was achieved...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » May 23rd, 2020, 10:08 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Wizard wrote:
The identity of the mod was only revealed by raising it here, which is not what is supposed to happen.

There is no compulsion on moderators to send PM messages where moderator-action is taken.

Where that doesn't happen, for whatever reason (and there are likely to be a variety of reasons why this might not happen...), any board users have an opportunity to raise a question here.

That process was followed and a satisfactory outcome was achieved...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess

I don't want to blow this out of all proportion, all I was trying to do was point out what I thought was a procedural gap. I am on my computer now, rather than my phone, so can explain more fully.

If a mod deletes a post (or posts) within a thread they typically add a mod box to explain they have done so and saying why, so the issue is not repeated. It is then clear which mod has deleted the posts. Equally mods sometimes move threads and will often leave a 'shadow' on the original board adding a message as to why the thread has been moved. Again, posters know which mod took the action. But if a mod deletes a whole thread, there is no way for the person who started the thread to know why this happened and which mod took the action, other than by a PM. As you rightly say mods are under no obligation to send a PM.

All I pointed out was that my understanding had been that if a poster is unhappy with a mod intervention the 'rule' is that the first step is to PM the mod and ask if they can clarify the reason for their intervention. However, if the poster does know which mod made the intervention how can they do that?

My understanding of that process was reinforced only a couple of months ago. A mod intervened on one of my posts and told me to raise it on Room101 if I had an issue. I raised it on Room101 and received the following reply.
Clariman wrote:I haven't asked but I imagine that if the original post was off topic, subsequent explanations of it were deemed off topic too. I appreciate that you were advised to post here but the normal route would be to PM the mod involved to seek any clarification etc. If that doesn't resolve or explain it then feel free to post here if you are still unhappy.

My bold.

But, if I understand your post above correctly you are saying Dod was correct to raise the issue on the Biscuit Bar. So I am sorry, but I am now confused.

I was only trying to help keep the site running smoothly by pointing out what I saw as a gap in the processes on the site. Now I fear my attempt to 'be a good citizen' will be another black mark in the leger with me being seen as trying to be difficult. I can assure you that this was absolutely not the case. I will say no more on this matter and leave it to the mods to consider whether my point has any merit in being considered or not.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » May 23rd, 2020, 10:23 am

Wizard wrote:My understanding of that process was reinforced only a couple of months ago. A mod intervened on one of my posts and told me to raise it on Room101 if I had an issue. I raised it on Room101 and received the following reply.
Clariman wrote:I haven't asked but I imagine that if the original post was off topic, subsequent explanations of it were deemed off topic too. I appreciate that you were advised to post here but the normal route would be to PM the mod involved to seek any clarification etc. If that doesn't resolve or explain it then feel free to post here if you are still unhappy.
My bold.

My bold

Wizard wrote:But, if I understand your post above correctly you are saying Dod was correct to raise the issue on the Biscuit Bar. So I am sorry, but I am now confused.
I was only trying to help keep the site running smoothly by pointing out what I saw as a gap in the processes on the site.

What gap? Clariman very clearly stated that for an explanation about a pulled post one should follow the following process:

1) PM the Moderator concerned

and if that is not successful

2) Raise the issue on here [Biscuit Bar]

I ask again, what gap?

Ian
Last edited by IanTHughes on May 23rd, 2020, 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 23rd, 2020, 10:26 am

Wizard wrote:
My understanding of that process was reinforced only a couple of months ago.

A mod intervened on one of my posts and told me to raise it on Room101 if I had an issue. I raised it on Room101 and received the following reply.

Clariman wrote:
I haven't asked but I imagine that if the original post was off topic, subsequent explanations of it were deemed off topic too. I appreciate that you were advised to post here but the normal route would be to PM the mod involved to seek any clarification etc. If that doesn't resolve or explain it then feel free to post here if you are still unhappy.

My bold.

But, if I understand your post above correctly you are saying Dod was correct to raise the issue on the Biscuit Bar. So I am sorry, but I am now confused.

I was only trying to help keep the site running smoothly by pointing out what I saw as a gap in the processes on the site. Now I fear my attempt to 'be a good citizen' will be another black mark in the leger with me being seen as trying to be difficult. I can assure you that this was absolutely not the case. I will say no more on this matter and leave it to the mods to consider whether my point has any merit in being considered or not.

I don't think you were 'being difficult' at all Wizard, so please don't worry about that, but you clearly asked a question in your first post today, and then when I answered that, you said that the question wasn't actually the point of your post, so it was obvious at that point that you needed to provide further information in a clearer way for any real progress to be made...

You've now done that, thanks, and I don't think that anything that's happened goes materially against the earlier information you were given off Clariman.

Clariman told you that 'the normal route would be to PM the mod involved to seek any clarification etc. If that doesn't resolve or explain it then feel free to post here if you are still unhappy.', and where it's possible to PM a moderator about an issue, then clearly that's the expected first step to take given that guidance, but where the identity of a moderator doesn't exist, then clearly a PM can't be expected to happen, and so such a PM 'can't resolve or explain it'...

At that point, people are of course able to then post on this board seeking further information, which is what Clariman is actually saying - 'If that doesn't resolve or explain it then feel free to post here if you are still unhappy.'.

The only other possible solution to these types of issues would be for mods to be compelled to PM every single time, and I think that's almost impossible to ask for when these moderation tasks are being carried out on a voluntary basis..

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » May 23rd, 2020, 10:54 am

IanTHughes wrote:I ask again, what gap?

Because you can't PM a mod if you don't know which mod deleted the thread.

But I really do not want to debate this, I was just trying to point something out to Itsallaguess and dspp in their role as moderators. I know what will happen, any second somebody will say it was because the post was on HYP-P and we'll get another 20 pages of the same old debate, yet again.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » May 23rd, 2020, 10:56 am

Itsallaguess wrote:...Clariman told you that 'the normal route would be to PM the mod involved to seek any clarification etc. If that doesn't resolve or explain it then feel free to post here if you are still unhappy.', and where it's possible to PM a moderator about an issue, then clearly that's the expected first step to take given that guidance, but where the identity of a moderator doesn't exist, then clearly a PM can't be expected to happen, and so such a PM 'can't resolve or explain it'...

I’m sorry, I said I would not post again, but now need to clarify as two people have misunderstood my post. The quote from Clariman was from a post on a thread on Room101, not the Biscuit Bar. When he says “here” he was referring to Room101.

I have also since found there is a detailed post on the topic, here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13514

In the very first paragraph it says:

Discussions on Moderation are only permitted on the new Room 101 board viewforum.php?f=91. Any discussion of moderation elsewhere is no longer permitted and will be deleted, including in the Biscuit Bar.

And that really is the last post on me on this topic.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 23rd, 2020, 11:02 am

Wizard wrote:
In the very first paragraph it says:

Discussions on Moderation are only permitted on the new Room 101 board. Any discussion of moderation elsewhere is no longer permitted and will be deleted, including in the Biscuit Bar.

And that really is the last post on me on this topic.

Just to clarify, I thought we were talking about Room101 in all honesty, so if I inadvertently said 'here', then I meant 'there' - apologies for any additional confusion that may have caused..

I hope the above clarifies your initial issue anyway Wizard - and so, clearly, a PM to a mod cannot happen or be 'expected' to happen if you aren't aware who you would PM, and in that case then of course anyone is right to then raise a potential query on the Room101 board if there are any issues..

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » May 23rd, 2020, 12:06 pm

Thank you Itsallaguess, completely clear.

Now for everyone's sanity please close the thread before another HYP debate starts.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 23rd, 2020, 12:09 pm

Moderator Message:
Topic locked now that the requested answers have been given. Some recent off-topic posts have been removed before doing so - Itsallaguess

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”