Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

My absence

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: My absence

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 21st, 2020, 5:25 pm

Lootman wrote:The other approach is more cognitive. I think some people here are better than others at sifting out or disregarding tangential posts on a topic. I consider I can do a decent job of that but I understand that others might not be so comfortable doing that. That also comes back to what Itsallaguess was saying about not charging in every time you hear the cannons roar.

Absolutely true. And even Saints can have a bad day too. There's no perfect answer to anything in this kind of forum. To suggest there is would be naïve. And I think what adds to that edge is the passion we have about different subjects. By way of an example I would mention cars. Most men are extremely interested in cars. Given the chance they would have something expensive. This goes completely over me. I have never really been able to get excited about any kind of car. But if you talk about aircraft I'd be interested. Indeed my only regret so far in this life is I haven't learned to fly. Couldn't afford it.

Yes. Some of us (and I'm in that category) will shoot first and ask questions later. As you say the cannons go off and we respond in kind.

However, I can understand anyone getting frustrated or perhaps even worse with constant disparaging rebuttal which is nothing more than a repeat of the last.

If people want to talk about HYP and focus that in a specific way I can't see how it would ever concern me. I'm not even sure if asked I would have any opinion on the subject be it good or bad. And why would I think anyone would place any value on my opinion?

I believe there are ways to improve the current situation
  1. Increased moderation of HYP boards, in particular when "stand offs" seem to be growing or tensions occur
  2. Increased self moderation by all
  3. Improved clarity of posting guidelines, especially for newcomers (I think I got a clip round the lug for straying on the board - not intentional - just AiY being AiY :roll: )
  4. Increased tolerance of new comers straying onto the board(s) without completely digesting or understanding guidelines
  5. An understanding that it will never be perfect. But as perfect as it can be for those following the subject
AiY"t"n'U

G3lc
2 Lemon pips

Postby G3lc » May 21st, 2020, 5:33 pm

So is this your agenda genulphus?

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » May 21st, 2020, 5:37 pm

G3lc wrote:So is this your agenda genulphus?

Is what my agenda???

I.e. please be more specific - there are far too many aspects to this thread for me to guess which you're asking about.

Gengulphus

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 21st, 2020, 5:40 pm

Wizard wrote:Having finished catching up on this thread I went over to HYP-P. There is currently a thread running named Life Insurers, but really it is about Legal & General. IMHO it is one of the best threads on HYP-P for some time as there is actually some substantive content to it. However, with this thread fresh in my mind two things occurred to me:
1. I wondered why it was on HYP-P and not the Company Share News board.
2. Based on what people have said elsewhere about their holdings I do not believe any of the comments on the thread were made by people who would say they hold an HYP, a high yield portfolio with some shares that could be part of an HYP yes, but not an HYP-P guidance compliant portfolio.

If it was the thread that I started the clue is in the title and my opening post. I was hoping to discuss life insurers in general but because the other two are not so popular I assume, the thread concentrated on Legal & General. All three are perfectly good for a HYP and that is why I placed the thread there. Discussing three HYP shares, where else would it go? It was not suitable for HYP Strategies and it could not be on the L & G company Board as it was discussing Chesnara and Phoenix as well.

Dod

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 21st, 2020, 5:48 pm

Dod101 wrote: Discussing three HYP shares, where else would it go?

Probably on the non-existent board "Income Strategies - Practical". It was touched on in the thread, but there's a question is to why L&G and perhaps the others have gone to such a high dividend yield. Such a topic, investigating reasons for recent price performance, is probably off topic for HYP-P.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 21st, 2020, 6:07 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
I believe there are ways to improve the current situation

1. Increased moderation of HYP boards, in particular when "stand offs" seem to be growing or tensions occur
  2. Increased self moderation by all
  3. Improved clarity of posting guidelines, especially for newcomers (I think I got a clip round the lug for straying on the board - not intentional - just AiY being AiY :roll: )
  4. Increased tolerance of new comers straying onto the board(s) without completely digesting or understanding guidelines
  5. An understanding that it will never be perfect. But as perfect as it can be for those following the subject

I think the order that you've put the first two items is interesting..

In a respectful online community, might we expect 'self moderation by all' to perhaps come first?

And by 'self moderation', I do mean on behalf of both those parties that should know better not to post some types of discussions on HYP Practical, and also those parties who should know better to not then get involved in those types of discussions when they do....

'Self moderation' should be right at the top of any list of this type, in my opinion, and with big flashing lights around it...

Think how rare any 'real' moderation might need to be if that were the case...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » May 21st, 2020, 7:01 pm

I don't look at, or contribute to, HYP practical as much as I might.

For me, the problem I feel is a lack of sincerity about the board. Sorry. :(

Allow me to explain myself.

I don't buy into the idea of people having different portfolios. A portfolio is a collection. So for example, if I hold utilities, miners, and banks, I certainly don't perceive that I'm running a bank shares portfolio, a miners portfolio and a utility shares portfolio. As far as I'd be concerned that would be one portfolio that had utilities, miners and banks in it.

And when it comes to HYP practical, I just don't feel that any of the posters are genuinely pure, solely HYP investors. And iirc, I think polls have previously backed this up to quite a large extent, though I'm no longer that bothered enough to go and dig them out to confirm, I'm just going to go off memory.

I had a 'recent' encounter on the HYP where I responded to someone claiming they were struggling what to decide to buy due to the pandemic and they didn't feel comfortable buying just at that time, and I responded by pointing out the FTSE was on a historic yield of 6% and at a level it was previously at 2yrs before the dotcom boom, and that I'd therefore just bought that via an iShares FTSE tracker, after all why take the individual share risk when it really did feel Russian roulette, when the whole market now has such a high yield that it's in the danger zone, and you can buy it with a simple low cost tracker ETF!....

I know, I know, that isn't strictly HYP either, but I do feel that for myself, although I'm not strictly rigid HYP Practical, my *whole* portfolio (except my pension, which isn't a SIPP, and is managed by a pension fund so I don't have a huge amount of control of it) is based on high yield principles. I don't even own a house. But I am aware my overall 'portfolio' isn't strictly HYP practical to the letter of the practical board.

But at the same time - as an overall portfolio - I actually feel that I'm probably closer to a genuine HYP than most of the posters on HYP. And I feel there's a little dishonesty in that, that doesn't really sit all that comfortably. I feel that I probably have more of my overall wealth at stake in high yield shares than probably most who post on the practical board. Most seem to have other pension income already guaranteed via an annuity + state pension + own house, etc, in addition to their HYP. And many seem to run other share portfolios as well, and/or hold investment trusts as well.

That poster I mention that I responded to above, subsequently posted on HYP *Strategies* quite a disparaging post really playing up the negatives of HYP investing during the coronavirus pandemic. Really seeming to want to emphasize how much the shares have fallen. Really making the whole subject of the post and thread about just how stonkingly far HYP shares had fallen in the pandemic compared to cash and prefs.

It felt like another person trying to have a dig at the HYP strategy (granted it was on the strategies board this time, not practical), but I pointed out to the poster that perhaps they had had the courage to buy while it was low, that perhaps they wouldn't have seen such falls, and I pointed out to them my purchase of the FTSE 100 at historic yield of 6%, which I mentioned to them at the time on HYP Practical, and which by this time had now already gone up 8%.

The response... oh, but they did buy lots of other things. They just weren't HYP so they didn't mention them.

I just feel that is completely dishonest. I thought I was genuinely replying to someone who sincerely was investing in an HYP and was looking for encouragement to buy. They spoke of how they didn't feel confident to buy at that point because the future felt so uncertain, etc.

I was completely unaware I was talking to a fictitious persona that someone was just presenting while they were on the HYP board.

I'm not going to name the poster, because I don't think, in my view, due to the strict rules of the board, that anyone is being completely honest on it. I think to some extent, most of the posters are probably in a similar boat.

I think all the posters to some degree or other - even just by adhering to the rules and culture while they are on the board - are similarly dishonest.

It gives the impression to someone coming to the HYP practical board, that here we have a group of people all bought into the HYP principle, and all happy to make this their investment approach. The HYP which was originally presented in the TMF days was portrayed as an alternative to an annuity, for someone to derive an income for their retirement without having to pay fund managers, or whatever. It wasn't presented as being a small part of a wider retirement investment plan - it was presented as being the only one you need.

The reality on HYP practical, however, I believe is that most have other significant non-HYP investments as well.

Like I say, I'm not 'pure' HYP in the HYP practial sense either. That's why I have a strange relation with the board - the news is useful (though it bugs me the times when the news is just a link to the news on another board with no summary and I have to then click through to get the story - I might as well just follow the other board!). But I do shy away from the discussions about what to buy and portion of portfolios, etc, because I know my portfolio isn't pure HYP, so I don't feel it would be appropriate to add my advice.

What I might do with a broader portfolio, I might not feel so comfortable doing if I was strictly limiting my investments to HYP practical. So I don't feel it appropriate to contribute to the what should be the next top ups threads and similar.

There's certainly a huge overlap between my portfolio and HYP. The vast majority of my portfolio is the same companies that crop up on HYP practical, and that's probably while I still do loiter around it.

It just wouldn't feel right to me, to mentally segregate those shares that I hold that would come under HYP, and then pretend that hey, I do hold a pure HYP, so hey I can properly join in the discussion as an HYPer... and then not mention that I also hold other non-UK ETFS (still bought for higher yield though), and FTSE 100 bought for yield, and IUKD.

I don't even hold any ITs, so there isn't any management behind my 'fund' holdings. I just use them as a cheap means of buying high yield shares outside of the UK for additional diversification because I really do have a substantial part of my wealth in high yield equities. But even that - buying outside the UK - seems to be frowned upon as not being in the HYP practical rules (though I note there seems to now be some contention on that).

Anyway, I've probably rambled on long enough to give the picture.

I hope no-one takes offence; it's not intended to cause offence.

Just my view though.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » May 21st, 2020, 7:40 pm

onthemove,

I've thought exactly the same thing!

I've heard posters on the HYP board say they also have a portfolio of growth shares. It made me think "hey, don't you just have a balanced portfolio?" But I said nowt :-)

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 21st, 2020, 8:43 pm

MrFoolish wrote:onthemove,

I've heard posters on the HYP board say they also have a portfolio of growth shares. It made me think "hey, don't you just have a balanced portfolio?" But I said nowt :-)

There is nothing wrong with having two or more portfolios side by side. It's like having a Growth Fund and an Income fund, both as accumulation units. You can then tell which is the better bet after a decent time has elapsed.

What is daft is amalgamating the two and then reporting about it on the HYP-Practical board.

TJH

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 21st, 2020, 8:45 pm

A rushed composite reply.

Wizard wrote:Having finished catching up on this thread I went over to HYP-P. There is currently a thread running named Life Insurers, but really it is about Legal & General. ...

1. I wondered why it was on HYP-P and not the Company Share News board. ...

I've yet to read the thread but are you certain it was 'news', rather than a discussion of potential or existing HYP-P candidates?

I rather thought the Company Share news board was for the discussion, if needed, of recent RNSs etc, although the strapline Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only might cover what you are suggesting but that board is specifically company by company, whereas Dod's OP covered I think at least 3 outfits (yes, cross posts within Company Share news might enable such a tripartite discussion).

The Board guidance & link to listed companies does rather permit a free for all though, in that it says Subsequent discussions can take place wherever board-specific guidelines permit, including on this board. but I rather hope HYP-P type discussions continue elsewhere, which is generally the case. Although, on occasion, someone replies there with an HYP-P type reply and others join the throng. Maybe those are the posters who come in via New posts but some are regular HYPsters and should know where they are (often the mandatory ticker in the topic title provides a clue).

To me at least, such discussion at Company Share news spoils my quick look there for anything I may have missed, as I'm not in the slightest bit interested who has topped up or not, nor how many equities are in their HYP-Portfolios whilst looking for news (keep that to HYP-P where I may well be more interested than not).

Arborbridge wrote:That's an interesting comment, for the HYP-P board in particular can hardly be described as more relaxed than that on TMF - at least not for six months or a year.

I'm not at all certain the less relaxed position (if that is the case anyway) has existed for such short a period. I haven't checked on here (the Biscuit Bar) but there have been many similar and repetitive discussions on here way back, maybe before you found this board, and I can dig them out if you want.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 21st, 2020, 10:07 pm

onthemove wrote:The HYP which was originally presented in the TMF days was portrayed as an alternative to an annuity, for someone to derive an income for their retirement without having to pay fund managers, or whatever. It wasn't presented as being a small part of a wider retirement investment plan - it was presented as being the only one you need..

It appears that statement is disputed. See earlier in this thread.

But it can be confusing as to whether there is just the one approach, referred to by at least one poster as "The HYP Strategy" or a multitude of "HYP Strategies" which at the very least make for a broader church.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » May 21st, 2020, 10:21 pm

tjh290633 wrote:There is nothing wrong with having two or more portfolios side by side. It's like having a Growth Fund and an Income fund, both as accumulation units. You can then tell which is the better bet after a decent time has elapsed.
TJH

Let me know when you have the answer :D

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 21st, 2020, 10:47 pm

PinkDalek wrote:I'm not at all certain the less relaxed position (if that is the case anyway) has existed for such short a period. I haven't checked on here (the Biscuit Bar) but there have been many similar and repetitive discussions on here way back, maybe before you found this board, and I can dig them out if you want.

Ok, I defer to your greater know. I mostly look at HYP-P and I'm not sure I've ever been on here or even knew what a biscuit bar was. It's just one of those board names one sees that means nothing, so I move on.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 21st, 2020, 11:14 pm

onthemove wrote:I don't look at, or contribute to, HYP practical as much as I might.

For me, the problem I feel is a lack of sincerity about the board. Sorry. :(

Allow me to explain myself.

I don't buy into the idea of people having different portfolios. A portfolio is a collection.

You wrote a very long post which is really interesting so I wish I had the time to discuss it all properly - but I haven't. I can only answer for the moment this point about being "insincere", I'd ask you to judge me and tell me whether you think my case is one of the insincere ones, and why.
--00--
Here goes:-

I came to HYP as a means of paying a pension income. As regards my pension, I have only a pension pot and the state pension. When I discovered HYP, I wasn't sure it would do what was claimed of it and my pension pot was pretty much a mish mash of everything because I neede to hedge my bets, being a cautious sort of fellow who does not put all his eggs in one basket.

Move on a little, and I concentrated most of that capital into HYP, income ITs and income OEICS to provide income. I keep them separate: the original idea being to be able to compare and contrast - perhaps naively thinking I would get an "answer" to which way I should invest in future.

When I am writing on the HYP board, I talk about my HYP - though I mention in passing that I have OEICs and ITs and I sometimes quote my HYP performance against the ITs as a benchmark. In my view it is not insincere to have more than one portfolio, one in a real sense, testing itself against another. I am a genuine HYPer and try in my own fallible human way to keep to the guidelines - I think I do that pretty closely, along with the practical additions which we have developed over the years to increase the safety side of things. But my HYP is a genuine HYP which started by following Stephen Bland's writings at the time of HYP4 along with allowable modifications, but not including investments other than ordinary conventional shares.

Do you think I'm being insincere when I write about my HYP whilst also having an income IT portfolio? (I don't, BTW) Can you appreciate how this position arose from day one, needing to be sure which way to go with my pension pot and comparing one thing with another. Clearly, if I jumbled all those investments into one portfolio, they couldn't be compared.

I note you think people are somehow frauds because they have other income than HYP. I can't see why you say that. It's true that there are probably only half a dozen of us whose main income is from invesments, but that is hardly a personal moral fault, rather just good fortune. People are allowed to have more than one way of earning a living and they could still sincerely believe in the advantages of running a HYP.

Well, I'd be interested to hear what you think of this, especially now I have explained how it happened that I run three different portfolios and why I keep them going that way.

Good night!

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 21st, 2020, 11:16 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:There is nothing wrong with having two or more portfolios side by side. It's like having a Growth Fund and an Income fund, both as accumulation units. You can then tell which is the better bet after a decent time has elapsed.
TJH

Let me know when you have the answer :D

Note: my earth shattering discovery is: by the time you have the answer it is too late :? :lol:

Good night.

Arb.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » May 21st, 2020, 11:31 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
MrFoolish wrote:onthemove,

There is nothing wrong with having two or more portfolios side by side. It's like having a Growth Fund and an Income fund, both as accumulation units.

What does 'side by side' mean?

From the HYP practical board guidance...

"For the HYP Practical board we define a HYP as a portfolio comprised exclusively of ordinary shares. If selected, such shares should have a dividend yield above the average for the FTSE100 index and be drawn from the constituents of the FTSE 350 index. At its simplest, it will have at least 15 holdings, none of which should be from the same sector. A long term buy and hold (LTBH) of these shares is envisaged."

I have some ETFs. I think I also have some UK holdings outside the FTSE100/350. I definitely have a few that seem either too small, or for some reason I forget which, tend to be not considered HYP.

But most of my shares are high yield and the ones usually discussed on HYP practical.

What do I need to do, then, to arrange it so that I have an HYP + another portfolio, such that I could then discuss the HYP part on HYP practical?

Is there a requirement that they have to be held in separate brokerage accounts?

I mean, when the board guidance defines an HYP as "a portfolio comprised exclusively of ordinary shares", what deliminates a portfolio?

What makes it a portfolio in its own right - and therefore can still be consider as an HYP "comprised exclusively of ordinary shares", and not just a subset of a wider, more balanced portfolio?

Look at it another way...

If the portfolio manager is both the manager and sole beneficial owner of the HYP + other shares, I just don't understand how there isn't a degree of deception there (which comes about because of the board's rules, not the individual) in presenting discussion as though people only have an HYP.

If the portfolio manager is both manager and beneficial owner of the HYP + other shares, then inevitably the practical considerations around them will be different. The degree of risk tolerance will be different. Someone with a growth portfolio + HYP will be less concerned with a smaller selection of shares in an HYP.

Someone with a growth portfolio (and other income perhaps rental income, etc) + HYP will have completely different practical safety margin and buffer requirements to someone living off of solely an HYP for their retirement in the spirit of PYAD's original idea of the HYP being a straight forward, easy to manage alternative to an annuity.

tjh290633 wrote:You can then tell which is the better bet after a decent time has elapsed.

And how are you judging that?

I mean, someone with only an HYP and needing the income to live off, would they - should they - be prepared to take the same level of risk as someone who's just toying with the portfolio in comparison to other portfolios, and not solely dependant on either?

Would they really, in practice, make the same practical decisions on managing it?

I remember when I first started investing. A colleague suggested a virtual portfolio + competition to test the water and gain experience.

Absolutely worthless.

Knowing there wasn't any real money to lose, and seeing it as a bit of a competition with a colleague, I chose 2 dotcom companies. 50:50 into each.

By some pure fluke, one doubled and the other went to zero. Net change very little!

Diversification proven - you only need 2 shares!
(Clearly not, but taken at face value...)

But it just re-enforced what I already knew - even back then. Theory is one thing. Reality is another.

When I came to actually buy my first real world shares, the reality was very, very different. The anxiety in making the decision, the worry about whether I was doing the right thing, the hesitation, the hesitation, and the hesitation, were major challenges to deal with. The choice of how much to invest - or rather, in reality, in practice - how much real money to risk. Very different in practice.

And if your HYP is just one part of a bigger portfolio, the psychological aspects of running it are not going to be the same. The worry isn't going to be the same. The effects of it going wrong aren't going to be the same. You won't be as concerned with risk compared to if your retirement depended on it.

Those practical aspects of running such a portfolio will be very different.

And after time has elapsed, what would be the better bet?

Like my competition with a colleague - what did it tell me?

Your HYP might make a certain return.

Was that (good / bad) luck?

What does running 1 HYP portfolio tell you about the risks associated with running it?

What criteria would it have to meet for you to say "you know what, yes, this is the way I'm going to fund my retirement" and then you'd sell up all your other portfolios and transfer the money into your HYP?

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » May 21st, 2020, 11:33 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I am a genuine HYPer and try in my own fallible human way to keep to the guidelines - I think I do that pretty closely, along with the practical additions which we have developed over the years to increase the safety side of things. But my HYP is a genuine HYP which started by following Stephen Bland's writings at the time of HYP4 along with allowable modifications, but not including investments other than ordinary conventional shares.
Arb.

I don't doubt you have genuine intent. But who are the "we" that get to decide those "practical additions" and "allowable modifications"? Is it by invitation only or can anyone chip in?

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » May 22nd, 2020, 12:44 am

Arborbridge wrote: I can only answer for the moment this point about being "insincere", I'd ask you to judge me and tell me whether you think my case is one of the insincere ones, and why. ...
I note you think people are somehow frauds because they have other income than HYP. I can't see why you say that. It's true that there are probably only half a dozen of us whose main income is from invesments, but that is hardly a personal moral fault, rather just good fortune. People are allowed to have more than one way of earning a living and they could still sincerely believe in the advantages of running a HYP.

I don't say that, but I understand how it might be a natural reaction to what admittedly was quite a to-the-point post.

People are entitled to have whatever other income they want. It doesn't make them a fraud.

And I repeatedly say that it is only the guidelines (and to some extent perhaps the culture - fear of mentioning if you've got foreign ETFs, or investment trusts, or prefs, etc) of the HYP practical board - that the discussion has to be kept to the HYP - that collectively bring about, imho, the insincerity / deception / fraud / call it what you want.

It is that which collectively hides, or significantly downplays, the reality behind most people's HYPs - namely that most people aren't dependent upon their HYP to fund their retirement; most people have other significant sources of income - including substantial holdings of other non-HYP shares.

It's not a fault or attribute I ascribe to any individual poster. Certainly not.
In fact, quite the opposite, it comes from the posters respecting the rules and being good citizens of the board!

It's an inevitable outcome, emergent property if you like, of the guidelines / culture of the board... not the fault of the posters abiding by the rules.

When the regular discussion relates solely to HYP without consideration of what importance each HYP is to each individual, then there's nothing against which readers can judge people's confidence (or otherwise) in the approach.

There's nothing that really says to newcomers... whoa! yeh, hang on, sure these people are enthusiastic, and rigorous about their HYP investments... but whoah, they aren't depending on them for their retirements! They're more like a side hobby for interest.

Which to be honest, is quite the opposite impression compared to what I had from the TMF days. My hazy recollection was that an HYP as originally presented by PYAD was a supposed low maintenance, easy, self managed alternative to handing over your pension savings to a fund manager who'd charge ridiculous fees for doing something you could easily do yourself.

I admit, that perhaps some of my viewpoint stems from still thinking of the HYP in those terms - a continuation of the PYAD HYP - though I admit looking at the HYP practical guidelines today, there's no mention of an HYP being an annuity replacement, or even for generating an income of any sort in retirement, or anything like that.

In fact, there's no mention in the guideline at all that I can see of the purpose of an HYP - not even that the HYP should be primarily aimed at generating income rather than capital growth.

So on that basis, not sure how the discussions on safety margins came about a month or two back.... :?

Hmmm, maybe I should have just kept lurking... now I've looked properly at the guidelines, I'm not actually sure at all what an HYP is supposed to be for in the context of the HYP practical board!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 22nd, 2020, 7:21 am

I have a lot of sympathy for Gengulphus's points but I do not let them bother me because I now ignore any 'needling' posts that emanate from only one or two posters. I am totally confused by what is supposed to be posted where but sincerely try to get it right. Occasionally I lapse. I forget to think first because I have a point to make and that lapse often seems to be more important to some than the content of the post.

But 137 posts later and we are I think no further forward and although I have not read all the posts we have suggestions varying from making the HYP Practical Board a sort of exclusive closet like PD, to accusations that anyone running another portfolio alongside a HYP is somehow dishonest!

For myself I run one portfolio consisting of income shares and growth shares invested in individual shares, ITs and bond funds. It is to me though essentially an income portfolio and I mentally and sometimes on paper divide it between HYP and Growth portfolios because of course I measure the outcomes differently and need to know what I expect from each share. I thus feel more or less qualified to breach the hallowed environs of the HYP Practical Board from time to time.

Let's discuss investing instead of all this navel gazing,

The owners will never please everyone all the time and they should not try.

Dod

JuanDB
2 Lemon pips

Postby JuanDB » May 22nd, 2020, 8:59 am

My only takeaway from this thread is that Gengelphus is a key contributor to this forum and we are all the better for his presence.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”