Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

posts being deleted

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: posts being deleted

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 2nd, 2020, 11:44 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:The ideal situation is where a poster is contacted about a deletion, with the text and a reason for it.

Well, yes, I agree, and that's what happened on TMF.

Now I'm sure someone will note that the moderators on TMF were paid staff and the ones here volunteers, but I think what's probably much more relevant is that on TMF (I'm sure, from the standard format of those emails) the process was easy and semi-automated for the mods, such that when they clicked to delete a post it'd give them a field to stick in a reason and then the system would automatically send the notification with the reason and the text of the post to the OP, and delete the post.

So, perhaps the most useful thing to do to achieve the above mentioned "ideal situation" is for someone (I'm not volunteering!) to look through all the phpBB Extensions to see if there's one that will make it similarly very easy for the TLF mods to do the same (and then, if there is one, to convince Stooz to install it....)

I did do some searches through the phpBB extensions a year or two ago for any extensions that seemed to me to offer various bits of useful extra functionality for moderators, including that one, with no luck. I could of course have missed one (I didn't go anything like as far as looking through all of the hundreds of extensions one by one, working out exactly what each one was supposed to do!) and it is possible that a suitable extension has been added since then. But I don't rate the chances of there being one highly, and so I fear the only way we'll get such an extension is by developing it ourselves... I too am not volunteering!

Gengulphus

"Least said soonest mended"

I think we have to accept the shortfalls of the boards as they are. Albeit I know for some that's difficult. I think most of my transgressions have been "wrong board" or recently something else which I just simply didn't know.

But we have to accept that the moderators do volunteer and they don't get any reward for that. If we are to argue we want something for nothing then from the outset surely it's our expectations that need to change. If we say that we're all prepared to pay an annual subscription and in return the mods are remunerated then we're asking for something for something.

It is what it is. I'd suggest quite humbly that this is a glass half full, half empty debate. I'm sure I've had posts removed without explanation. Right or wrong that's the way it is. Ultimately no one is forcing us to post here. It's our choice.

But picking up on Gengulphus' comment I too am not volunteering. And Dod's is right. There's a world out there. Let's at least wait until the dark of winter before we come in here instead of tending the roses.

There's a lot we can talk about that's constructive. And no one has helped me with my camera question you miserable (bleeped out) :lol: (tongue very much in cheek - my bad :oops: )

AiYn'U

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”