Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Deleted Threads from the "High Yield Strategies" board - 15 Jun 20

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Deleted Threads from the "High Yield Strategies" board - 15 Jun 20

Postby IanTHughes » June 16th, 2020, 10:38 pm

First of all, I should like to make it perfectly clear that it was I that requested, that the two threads, I myself originated, comparing virtual HYPs to a virtual holding of The City of London Investment Trust PLC (CTY), be deleted. They were both reported by me with the words:
Please delete this thread in its entirety as I no longer wish to contribute to this board of Trolls!

I should also like to thank the moderators for acting so swiftly is complying with my request, thank you.

I had initially intended to use the words "Semi-Literate Trolls", as it appeared that the problem was the inability of certain posters to understand simple English. But of course, that was wrong, they understood perfectly, they were just being Trolls, pure and simple. In this case hell-bent on ensuring that any discussion even remotely accepting of HYP, as a valid investment strategy, with its clearly stated main aim being income production, is rubbished at each and every opportunity.

No matter that such criticism consistently relies upon strawman arguments and regularly uses complete falsehoods about what HYP is about, a strategy which, contrary to what the anti-HYP disinformation mob will tell you, is followed in some form or other, by many people, both present on this site and elsewhere. In fact, the more people that are seen to be using HYP, the more virulent the attacks become. It is pathetic! But the crowning glory yesterday, the proverbial “unmentionable in the waterpipe”, was the following gem, a post made on this the ”Biscuit Bar" board, after the two threads had already been pulled at my request:

viewtopic.php?p=318702#p318702
Just to clarify.

Is it acceptable to discuss on High Yield Shares and Strategies a comparison between a HYP designed according to "HYP Strategies" and a representative Investment Trust with similar investment objectives? That's with particular reference to the concept that comparing their respective total returns is the valid comparison and that in the current environment the HYP is likely to be suffering with dividend cancellations.

The two threads have already been pulled but some pusillanimous nobody still has the gall to suggest that such threads should of course only be discussed with a view to “Total Return” and not the true aims of HYP, “Income”. Is it really the case that some people are still that ignorant as regards the HYP Strategy? I mean it has been discussed enough on these boards, can these people not read? This of course was after I had attempted several times, in the original thread, to remind this and another poster also ignorant of HYP, that HYP is an Income Strategy, where Capital Value is at best a secondary consideration. I also explained, again several times over, that for this particular exercise, all I was interested in measuring was the Total Income produced over time. But all to no avail. it appears that when it comes to HYP, the truly blind can never be made to see! Besides, if anyone wanted to use this exercise to measure Total Return there was certainly no obstruction. The value figures were clearly presented for anyone so interested. So why is it that the anti-HYP Trolls cannot accept others just might be looking at a different result. The answer is of course that they are Trolls and that is what Trolls do!

Furthermore, the anti-HYP nonsense, so regularly espoused, is once again well to the fore:
… in the current environment the HYP is likely to be suffering with dividend cancellations.

Did this poster really fail to grasp that the comparison exercise being considered would certainly record such “dividend cuts” in all their gory details? Indeed, that was the whole point of the exercise, to compare the Income generated over time, from two different possible investment approaches, thus recording the effects on each of any dividend cuts that may occur. Also, could this poster really not see that during the first year of this comparison between HYP and CTY, the HYP had a surplus in income of some 20% when compared with CTY, surely leaving some room for any dividend cuts that the HYP may suffer? Can anyone be that blinkered? Well the answer is obviously yes! And of course, no mention is made that the Investment Trust being compared to HYP might also “suffer from dividend cuts”, oh no of course not, that would be off message, a sacrilege even! What risible nonsense!

You know, I was wrong, ”pathetic” does not even begin to describe it!

Incidentally, I placed the threads on the "High Yield Shares & Strategies – General” board for two reasons. Firstly, the new guidelines for posting on what is now the oddly named “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”, as laid out here:

viewtopic.php?p=316682#p316682

contains the following restriction:
For the avoidance of doubt, the practicalities of taking a HYP approach DO NOT include …… the effectiveness and performance of HYP strategies versus other strategies

Secondly, I had thought that even non-HYPers would be interested in such a comparison exercise. I mean High Yield is High Yield, whether HYP or otherwise, surely a comparison of HYP’s ability to generate income with that of an Investment Trust would be welcome to all?

Well I believe I was right with the first reason but with the second, how naïve can one be? To be sure, I did get some thanks and even encouragement from some who I know to be non-HYPers, those with an open sense of enquiry and a desire to learn about HYP, even when it is a strategy that they have so far not taken up for whatever reason. And I do thank those posters for that. But how could I have been so stupid as to believe that the myopic Trolls that make up the virulent anti-HYP mob would leave such a thread alone? Especially when the first group of non-HYPers were showing signs of giving it some encouragement.

They set about it in the usual manner. It starts with the pretence of misunderstanding the point of the exercise, strawman argument after strawman argument. Mind you, as they never appear to have the intelligence to come up with anything new, maybe they are not pretending, only they can know for sure of course.

The second phase of attack is to “loudly” assert that such an exercise would be valid only when measured in the way determined by their own blinkered world view, as the “unmentionable in the water pipe” post amply demonstrated, once the threads had been pulled. This is the classic argument that goes something like: “OK, you can have your HYP Strategy, but only if you measure and report all progress according to our terms. And yes, you should be grateful”! Very depressing to be sharing a site with such inconsiderates, but what can one do..

So, both threads were pulled, at my request.

So where to go now, request permission for the pulled threads to be re-started on the “HYP Practical” board, notwithstanding the restriction on comparisons of HYP with other strategies? I suppose I could and who knows, maybe permission would be granted. I do believe however that that might simply lead to the demands from the anti-HYP Trolls to be allowed to witter on about other comparisons of HYP. Up would go the cry: “If you allow discussion of Investment Trusts, why not Preference Shares, Fixed Income etc etc”. Such discussions would I believe eventually lead to demands that the understanding of HYP be amended to allow investment in pretty much any instrument and on and on it would go until we would be right back to where we were before the recent change to the board guidelines and the board name. I certainly would not want to be responsible for that!

But also, why should an Investment Strategy such as HYP not be discussed on the "High Yield Strategies” board? In my view it is precisely the correct place for the two pulled threads and always was. Once again, the problem is the Trolls that discussions of HYP attracts in abundance. We already have strict guidelines and moderation of the “HYP Practical” board, will we now need the same on "High Yield Strategies”? I would not want to be responsible for that either!

The problem as I see it is not the separate boards with or without strict guidelines, it is the anti-HYP Trolls. Those who cannot accept that HYP is a perfectly valid strategy and as a result take a peculiar delight in hijacking HYP discussion threads – as far as I can tell it is only HYP that attracts such trolling – then insisting that their own blinkered and myopic view of the investment world must be included to the exclusion of the clearly stated aims of HYP. To hell with the aims of HYP, Income, the wishes of the thread’s originator, to measure income, and indeed those others perfectly happy to join in with constructive comments, they are simply told that they must accept the “correct" view! They probably believe that all who disagree just need “re-educating"! Eventually of course, the Trolls drive off all others and the thread simply dies, leaving one feeling rather disappointed that some people can be so destructive, rather than constructive, so unhelpful rather than helpful, and so downright rude. I had just such a feeling yesterday, along with my thinking: “Why the hell do I bother?”

So no, the two pulled threads are not going to be resurrected, or at least not by me! Not until such Trolling behaviour as I experienced yesterday is banished form this site. With the posters in question, I will not hold my breath!

Anyway, in a lighter vein, I should just like to add just four final points to anyone still reading this overly long message:

1) You really should get a life :D
2) If you are investing in an an HYP, I wish you a happy and successful future
3) If you are an anti-HYP Troll, may you suffer a sudden and uncontrollable bowel movement at a particularly embarrassing moment!
4) “So long, and thanks for all the fish” :D

Ian

Moderator Message:
Post edited to correct CTY's full name. -- MDW1954
Last edited by IanTHughes on June 16th, 2020, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Deleted Threads from the "High Yield Strategies" board - 15 Jun 20

Postby Dod101 » June 16th, 2020, 10:48 pm

You are the one who needs to get a life my friend.

Dod

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » June 16th, 2020, 10:50 pm

IanTHughes wrote: – as far as I can tell it is only HYP that attracts such trolling – Ian

Ian,

Clearly you have not ventured into the nether regions of PD. I can assure you that in the bowels there do lurk trolls, and not only on Brexit. Indeed down there be mighty trolls on many subjects. Even up on Energy and Macro be there trolls. So HYP is not alone in attracting a certain amount of trolling, but it is perhaps different in some qualitative and quantitative respects. Please bear with us as we try to improve the experience for everybody, everywhere.

regards, dspp

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 16th, 2020, 11:00 pm

Dod101 wrote:You are the one who needs to get a life my friend.
Easy to say when an assassination has not been made on one's character as a result of trying, politely, to make a point. C.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 16th, 2020, 11:09 pm

IanTHughes wrote:....the two pulled threads are not going to be resurrected, or at least not by me! Not until such Trolling behaviour as I experienced yesterday is banished.

That's a pity.
The more so as the subject HYP began at a bad time for the strategy, in contrast to HYP1 which began when it was all plain sailing. Would have been an interesting comparison.

You shouldn't take it all to heart, Ian. Sticks n stones.
Oh well.

V8

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » June 16th, 2020, 11:17 pm

Moderator Message:
The OP has made his position clear. You may agree with it, or not. But with the OP having made his position clear, let's not discuss this any further. -- MDW1954

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 16th, 2020, 11:59 pm

I apologise for my part in that.

You put a lot of work into that exercise and so I think it is a shame that you felt you had to abandon it.

I am willing to try and disagree more agreeably in the future.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 17th, 2020, 12:12 am

csearle wrote:
Dod101 wrote:You are the one who needs to get a life my friend.
Easy to say when an assassination has not been made on one's character as a result of trying, politely, to make a point. C.

Politely, rubbish.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 17th, 2020, 6:19 am

IanTHughes wrote:
This of course was after I had attempted several times, in the original thread, to remind this and another poster also ignorant of HYP, that HYP is an Income Strategy, where Capital Value is at best a secondary consideration.

I also explained, again several times over, that for this particular exercise, all I was interested in measuring was the Total Income produced over time.

But all to no avail.

Hi Ian,

I thought your comparison exercises were a very interesting and worthy contribution to a wider ongoing debate around the types of income-investment strategies that people employ Ian, and especially so at a time where there's widespread pressure on the underlying dividends that many of us seek out to help deliver those income-strategies.

To be absolutely crystal clear, it's my view that we should all be collectively encouraging such interesting and considerate input into these discussion boards.

What's happened with these comparison topics is a terrible shame, but can I ask if you recognise the sequence of events that I've outlined above, because it seems to be the exact same sequence of events that leads to a large number of these HYP-related arguments, and whilst the specific details around these similar incidents might vary slightly, the personnel involved and the combative nature of the exchanges from both parties rarely changes at all, if ever..

If you accept that, then I'd like to ask if you're expecting some sort of 'Damascene conversion' to take place at some point, concerning some of the other regular posters involved in these arguments?

I'd suggest that such a process is highly unlikely, and that's especially so when an argument is being generated for the sport of it in the first place, as it often clearly is in my view, so if we accept that such a change of views is almost impossible, can you then start to see the part you yourself are repeatedly playing in the above quoted passage?

Argumentative engagement in the manner that''s led to the removal of these two very interesting comparison topics was much less likely to occur, in my view, if you yourself took more control over the above quoted process. It's difficult to control what other people might want to contribute, but you can absolutely control what you contribute to these regular, and sadly inevitable, end-results...

This is not the first time that I've raised this point with you, and yet history seems to keep on repeating itself..

Please do be absolutely aware that you have a great deal of widespread sympathy regarding what's happened here, and that a lot of thought is going into how things can still be improved in an area of the board that continues to generate an inordinate amount of issues, but please, also be aware that you yourself can play a big part in the reduction of these types of issues by simply not engaging in the same destructive arguments time and time again, leading inevitably to exactly the same poor outcomes...

It takes two to tango...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 17th, 2020, 10:08 am

I found the initial posts very interesting, so it is disappointing to hear they will not be reposted and have been permanently deleted.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 17th, 2020, 10:51 am

Most of the dissent concerned the focus on income when focus should also have been on Capital (or Total Return). I'm not sure why folks (on both sides) didn't consider that a parallel thread, measuring exactly that was available for reading and discussing too, rather than engage pointlessly.

Not only was a "HYP" vs "CTY" comparison valid, but a "Total Income Paid" vs "Total Return" was valid too. Now it is possible that neither will be visible!

(Although I don't think the answer is to move or restrict that debate to a Board where some aren't allowed to participate).

BellaHubby
Lemon Pip

Postby BellaHubby » June 17th, 2020, 11:18 am

dealtn wrote:Most of the dissent concerned the focus on income when focus should also have been on Capital (or Total Return).

Says who?
Isn't that the problem? The OP wanted to discuss income, yet you are saying that's not what he should have wanted to discuss?

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » June 17th, 2020, 11:25 am

BellaHubby wrote: The OP wanted to discuss income, yet you are saying that's not what he should have wanted to discuss?

How should investment strategies be compared? Strategy A produces higher income that strategy B, but that's at the expense of converting capital into income, so the actual stock picking attributes of the strategies could be identical.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 17th, 2020, 11:28 am

BellaHubby wrote:
dealtn wrote:Most of the dissent concerned the focus on income when focus should also have been on Capital (or Total Return).

Says who?
Isn't that the problem? The OP wanted to discuss income, yet you are saying that's not what he should have wanted to discuss?

Absolutely not, please re-read what I said (and if you ever get the chance read what I said on the thread itself!).

I am discussing what the dissent was. I am making no such claims about what the focus should have been on.

Instead of selectively quoting me (and adding bold and underlining emphasis) focus on the entirety of my post which clearly thinks the OP of that thread had a legitimate reason for his thread, and indeed most of the criticism that followed was redundant since the alternative measure that "they" thought more legitimate was available to observe and discuss on an alternative, parallel, thread.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 17th, 2020, 11:30 am

BellaHubby wrote:

Says who?

No, I think what was being said is that some will not think income is the only important point to consider. The OP has perfect right to focus on income at the exclusion of other aspects if they wish, but others also have a perfect right to point out other aspects of a comparison. I don't think the issue was with what was discussed, but rather how it was discussed - i.e. it became poisonous.

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » June 17th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Wizard wrote:I found the initial posts very interesting, so it is disappointing to hear they will not be reposted and have been permanently deleted.

Indeed. I'm pre-retirement and have a portfolio of HYP and IT's. I felt the timing of this HYP/CTY comparison was particularly interesting but, as ever, was predictably derailed by the usual suspects. Like those irritating children in the school playground who ignore reasoned argument and simply must have the last word.

Don't people appreciate how much time compiling that data takes ? I do. If you don't agree with the criteria, then fine. Stop bleating and start your own virtual portfolios and start your own thread. But of course, they won't and they don't. Much easier to snipe from the sidelines.

If I was the OP, I'd continue to post the raw data and updates to a blog with comments disabled.

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » June 17th, 2020, 1:07 pm

mrbrightside wrote:
Wizard wrote:I found the initial posts very interesting, so it is disappointing to hear they will not be reposted and have been permanently deleted.

If I was the OP, I'd continue to post the raw data and updates to a blog with comments disabled.

But, of course, he won't do this because he's providing a service to the, err, 'community'.

Oh, the delicious irony.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » June 17th, 2020, 11:26 pm

IanTHughes wrote:4) “So long, and thanks for all the fish” :D

So have you left then, or just having a flounce for a while? (we've all had one of those - Dod iirc, and of course Gengulphus)

FWIW I thought the CTY comparison was/is a worthwhile exercise on your portfolios - present the numbers and let others decide how they want to interpret them and whether they are useful.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 17th, 2020, 11:38 pm

moorfield wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:4) “So long, and thanks for all the fish” :D

So have you left then, or just having a flounce for a while? (we've all had one of those - Dod iirc, and of course Gengulphus)

I think it can be good to leave for a while. I left TMF twice. Once because I just got very busy. And again when I had a huge fight with the chief Mod there.

I do sympathise with Ian as, nothwithstanding the fact that he and I disagree about everything, I think he is sincere about what he believes and does put in a fair amount of effort in compiling data.

I do feel sad that he thinks people who disagree with him are "trolls". I believe that term is woefully over-used to basically try and dismiss anyone with a different opinion. Speaking for myself I do not invent views just to cause an argument. If I argue with some here it is because I genuinely believe that they are wrong and that I can demonstrate that through debate.

Other than that I thought his original post was heartfelt and sincere. And that he should take a break if he feels the need, and then return. After 20 years on TMF and TLF I am still here, still annoying people evidently :D

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » June 18th, 2020, 3:30 pm

moorfield wrote:So have you left then, or just having a flounce for a while? (we've all had one of those - Dod iirc, and of course Gengulphus)

No "of course" about it. Flouncing in the context of a departure involves making a drama of it - see e.g. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flounce or https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/flounce for definitions in a traditional context, or https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Flounce for one in an internet context. I made no drama of leaving - I just left late last November without even saying that I was doing so. I might reasonably be criticised for departing in that way, but the justified criticism would be for leaving people in the dark about what had happened to me, not for flouncing!

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”