Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Is HYS&S only about dividends?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Is HYS&S only about dividends?

Postby Itsallaguess » July 12th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Lootman wrote:
I guess I am not clear about whether your interpretation is the "official" TLF house view on the matter and therefore underpins the moderation policy.

Or whether you are just expressing your personal opinion about what the guidelines should be.

It's my personal view on the intended spirit of the current High Yield Shares & Strategies guideline wording, but I've asked for a more official view to be given as it's clearly a contentious area and could do with clearing up.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » July 12th, 2020, 7:44 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:Like Itsallaguess, I think the underlying intention of the board is perfectly clear and this is only really an issue if you choose to make it one. Personally, if I wanted to discuss a strategy like the "Dogs of the FTSE" (as one of the examples given) then I'd quite happily post on the Investment Strategies board as the obvious choice and not waste a second of my time worrying whether it would have been technically acceptable on HYS&S.

My view is why put unnecessary demands on the site providers and volunteer mods when it can easily be avoided with the application of a little common sense?

Yes, it was completely clear to me, just a different clear than to you :lol: However, I did not challenge the moderation intervention I merely suggested that given this intervention it would, IMHO, make sense to change the name of the board to make it more explicit and bring the name into line with the moderation clarification of the guidance.

With a narrower scope than I had understood for HYS&S I do think there is less reason to have HYS&S and HYP-P, but that is a different matter that on reflection is better not to get in to.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 12th, 2020, 9:53 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:So basically, the old TMF "High Yield - Share Strategies" board required "high yield" and "shares" and that's the same as is visible in the TLF "High Yield Shares & Strategies" board name, while the old TMF "Investing for Income" board didn't require either of them but did require "income oriented".

The wording of the TLF "High Yield Shares & Strategies" guidance mentions all three, though its mention of "high yields" is about what yields one obtains (a property of the strategy) rather than the 'natural yield' (as you call it) of the shares.

If I understand you correctly, you believe it's supposed to be about all three and that the "high yield" part is intended to be about the shares rather than the strategy. On both of them, you might well be right - as a moderator, you're in a better position to know what the admins' and moderators' intentions are for the board. But in view of the history and the board name, it does seem worth questioning:

* Whether the "high yield" aspect is really intended to be a requirement on the shares used in the strategy, rather than on the shares and/or the strategies as suggested by the board name.

* Whether the shift in the guidance to requiring "income oriented" as well as the other two was deliberate.

The first line of the High Yield - Shares & Strategies board guidance says this -

The High Yield Share Strategies board is intended for wide-ranging discussions of ways to obtain high yields from equities.

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8652

I would read 'ways to obtain high yields' to mean 'ways to obtain naturally-released income in the form of cash'.

I also think that one of the key words there is 'obtain', which I think would be reasonable to interpret as 'get as an end-result of the strategy', and not just 'use as part of a selection process' in terms of other non-income-oriented strategies...

I know you've said that a 'Dogs of the FTSE' strategy would specifically select shares with a 'high yield' as part of the strategy remit, but that isn't necessarily picking them 'to obtain a high yield' from them - it's picking them in that way to hopefully obtain a capital gain, so again, I don't think that would align with the spirit of the above guidance wording, that states that the board is for discussion of 'ways to obtain high yields from equities', and not 'ways to use high yield as part of a capital-gain investment strategy'...

As far as I am concerned, you're preaching to the converted about what the current HYS&S guidance says: as I've previously indicated, it would not have (*) allowed my old Value strategy, which would entirely happily sell a share before receiving even a single dividend from it. I'm a bit less certain about "Dogs of the FTSE", as IIRC it was a "pick your shares, wait for a year, then repeat" type of strategy - so it would have been expected to receive quite noticeable dividend income from them. Getting that income would probably not have been its primary aim for most of its users - but it may well have been a not-insignificant aim for some of them.

But it equally would have been allowed under the TMF "High Yield - Share Strategies" board's guidance. That doesn't bind TLF, of course, but that was the only guidance available when TLF was set up with a similarly-named board and it does make the topic shift that changed strategies like my old Value strategy and (probably) "Dogs of the FTSE" from being on-topic at the time of the move to TLF to off-topic now a bit surprising. Hence my question (second bullet above) about whether the change in the guidance that has produced the topic shift was deliberate, which you seem to have overlooked...

(*) My previous indication of this was "Assuming the current HYS&S's guidance really is intended to mean what it says, somewhere along the line that definition of HYS&S's subject area has quietly morphed into an income-oriented one, and in the process my old Value strategy has shifted from being on-topic to off-topic for the board." in an unquoted part of the post you replied to, and I say "would not have" rather than just "does not" merely because the non-overlapping dates mean it's never had the chance to allow or disallow my old Value strategy.

Gengulphus

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » July 13th, 2020, 9:39 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
It's my personal view on the intended spirit of the current High Yield Shares & Strategies guideline wording, but I've asked for a more official view to be given as it's clearly a contentious area and could do with clearing up.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

All,
It appears that pretty much every Mod has been fully engaged in various personal activities of pleasure & pain for the last few days. Therefore we are, somewhat more slowly than is normal, working through this topic amongst ourselves and will see what emerges. Bear with us please.
regards, dspp

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 13th, 2020, 9:55 am

dspp wrote:It appears that pretty much every Mod has been fully engaged in various personal activities of pleasure & pain ...

Too much information... ;-)

Gengulphus

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » July 13th, 2020, 1:23 pm

dspp wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

All,
It appears that pretty much every Mod has been fully engaged in various personal activities of pleasure & pain for the last few days. Therefore we are, somewhat more slowly than is normal, working through this topic amongst ourselves and will see what emerges. Bear with us please.
regards, dspp

Thanks or the update dspp.

As this is still under discussion I have read through the guidance note again, based the Mod Box in the opening post of this thread I would respectfully suggest the following amendments to the Title of the Board and guidelines could help make things clearer...

High Yield Shares & Strategies – General Dividend Income

The High Yield Shares & Strategies – General Dividend Income board is intended for discussions of ways to obtain dividend income from high yield equities. Securities such as preference shares, PIBs, Investment Trusts, ETFs, etc can be considered.

While discussions of such securities in the context of specific high-yield dividend income strategies are appropriate here, dedicated boards for Investment and Unit Trusts, REITs, and ETFs also exist, as does a board for Investment Strategies. In considering where a specific topic would be most appropriate, posters should bear in mind that this board is intended for discussing dividend income-oriented equities or dividend income-investment strategies. Other strategies e.g. using capital gains as a source of income, discussions not related to dividend income, or discussions of equities that do not offer a high yield, should be directed to those other boards.

For those who follow a more specific HYP approach, then there is a board dedicated to that called HYP Practical. Before posting on HYP Practical it is essential that you read the HYP Practical Group Guidelines here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23846

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » July 13th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Wizard wrote: Other strategies e.g. using capital gains as a source of income, discussions not related to dividend income, or discussions of equities that do not offer a high yield, should be directed to those other boards.

If someone had a widely based portfolio used for the purpose of generating drawdown income, that might well include some Corporate Bonds as well as equities chosen not for their high dividend yield, but for their high dividend growth. Where should such a portfolio and the strategy behind the selections be discussed?

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » July 13th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Alaric wrote:
Wizard wrote: Other strategies e.g. using capital gains as a source of income, discussions not related to dividend income, or discussions of equities that do not offer a high yield, should be directed to those other boards.

If someone had a widely based portfolio used for the purpose of generating drawdown income, that might well include some Corporate Bonds as well as equities chosen not for their high dividend yield, but for their high dividend growth. Where should such a portfolio and the strategy behind the selections be discussed?

Based on what I understand the guidance t be, I would suggest the answer to the first question is Portfolio Review and Management and the answer to the second question would be the same board or Investment Strategies. But that is just my opinion.

EDIT: PS I am not saying that is how I would organise the boards if it were my decision, but it is as far as I can see how the Moderators want to organise the boards. If it were me I would be tempted to make HYS&S (as is now) less restricted and make it a fairly general income investment board, in the same way that I think Growth Strategies is a pretty unrestricted board. But as I say, it is not my decision to make.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 13th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Wizard wrote:I would also point out that I reported my own recent poll on income sources as selling for income was acceptable in that poll and I therefore said I understood it was now off topic. I asked for the poll thread to be deleted on that basis. The poll has been deleted, so from that I took it that yhe Mod which deleted it was confirming that any for of disposal as a source of income was off topic for HYS&S.
Hi Wizard, I deleted your thread because you asked for it to be deleted. You were the OP. When the OP of a thread asks for his/her thread to be deleted I am inclined to do so because I feel there is a certain kind of ownership of a thread by the OP. If the OP feels that he/she regrets having started a thread or feels that it has been hi-jacked beyond retrieval then I'm inclined to sympathise and help. So it was in your case. I was not really judging whether your poll (in this case) was on or off topic. I was merely complying promptly (I think) with your request.

Chris

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » July 13th, 2020, 10:58 pm

csearle wrote:
Wizard wrote:I would also point out that I reported my own recent poll on income sources as selling for income was acceptable in that poll and I therefore said I understood it was now off topic. I asked for the poll thread to be deleted on that basis. The poll has been deleted, so from that I took it that yhe Mod which deleted it was confirming that any for of disposal as a source of income was off topic for HYS&S.
Hi Wizard, I deleted your thread because you asked for it to be deleted. You were the OP. When the OP of a thread asks for his/her thread to be deleted I am inclined to do so because I feel there is a certain kind of ownership of a thread by the OP. If the OP feels that he/she regrets having started a thread or feels that it has been hi-jacked beyond retrieval then I'm inclined to sympathise and help. So it was in your case. I was not really judging whether your poll (in this case) was on or off topic. I was merely complying promptly (I think) with your request.

Chris

OK, thanks Chris, when I reported my own post I did say in the narrative I was asking for it to be deleted as my understanding was it was off topic given it allowed for income from sales to realise capital. I hope that I was right in that respect, otherwise it need not have been deleted.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 14th, 2020, 12:30 am

Wizard wrote:
csearle wrote:

OK, thanks Chris, when I reported my own post I did say in the narrative I was asking for it to be deleted as my understanding was it was off topic given it allowed for income from sales to realise capital. I hope that I was right in that respect, otherwise it need not have been deleted.

It sounds as though what you didn't do is actually ask whether the thread was off-topic - instead, you gave your answer to that question and requested that the thread should be deleted, indicating that you'd come to the conclusion that you'd made a mistake posting it. Wording such as "The question has been raised about whether this thread is on-topic or not, and I don't know the answer to that question. Could you please decide whether it is and take appropriate action if needed?" might have had a different outcome...

Gengulphus

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » July 19th, 2020, 6:56 am

dspp wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

All,
regards, dspp

I wondered if there was any update on the deliberations yet? Thanks.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » July 19th, 2020, 5:04 pm

Wizard wrote:
dspp wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

All,
regards, dspp

I wondered if there was any update on the deliberations yet? Thanks.

Not public as yet. Under discussion. regards, dspp

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » July 20th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Moderator Message:
The Moderation team have discussed the HYS&S board purpose and guidelines, and have unanimously agreed some small changes. Thanks for your patience. Clariman

Details here viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8652&p=98965

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 20th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Clariman wrote:
Moderator Message:
The Moderation team have discussed the HYS&S board purpose and guidelines, and have unanimously agreed some small changes. Thanks for your patience. Clariman

A slight technical problem with those details: you need to make the "viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23846" at the end of it be a link again - I suspect it's the result of the phpBB software shortening the displayed text for links to other pages on the site to something it won't recognise as links if they're cut-and-pasted into a post.

And thanks for clarifying the issue of what HYS&S is supposed to be about that came up earlier in the thread. I'm afraid the moderation team have clarified it in a way that makes me much less likely to use the board in the future, but fair enough - there's no reason why I should want to post on every one of the site's boards.

Gengulphus

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » July 20th, 2020, 6:16 pm

Thanks G, have fixed the broken link.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » July 23rd, 2020, 9:39 am

Clariman wrote:
Moderator Message:

Thank you for the link to the updated guidelines. Sorry if I am being dumb, but can you clarify what you mean by "natural yield"? Is there more to that than the dividend or is "natural yield" the same as dividend yield?

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » July 23rd, 2020, 9:42 am

Wizard wrote:
csearle wrote:

Chris

From the amended guidelines it sounds like it was right to delete it as capital gain harvesting is off topic for HYS&S.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 23rd, 2020, 10:15 am

Wizard wrote:
Clariman wrote:
Moderator Message:

Thank you for the link to the updated guidelines. Sorry if I am being dumb, but can you clarify what you mean by "natural yield"?

Is there more to that than the dividend or is "natural yield" the same as dividend yield?

I'd think that most investors, if considering income-strategies, would take the phrase 'natural yield' to relate to any capital that is 'naturally shed' from the held investments covered by that income strategy, without the need for any active involvement by an income-investor holding them.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » July 23rd, 2020, 11:28 am

Wizard wrote: Sorry if I am being dumb, but can you clarify what you mean by "natural yield"? Is there more to that than the dividend or is "natural yield" the same as dividend yield?

Natural yield is succinctly described by Hargreaves Lansdown as "income generated by the underlying investments, leaving the underlying capital intact".
Wizard wrote:From the amended guidelines it sounds like it was right to delete it as capital gain harvesting is off topic for HYS&S.

The revised guidelines certainly seem to have clarified that "capital gain harvesting" is indeed OT.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”