Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Notifications Issue

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Stompa
Lemon Slice

Notifications Issue

Postby Stompa » August 23rd, 2020, 12:50 pm

I'm not sure whether this is something new, or a longstanding issue that I've just never noticed before, but there appears to be an issue with the Notifications list. In particular, with the author shown for new topics. When you click on the notification the author shown is typically different from the one shown in the list.

For example, at the moment I have in my list an entry that says:

New topic by Midsmartin: "Freestanding hard drive music player"
Forum: Computers, TVs & Phones

when I click on it, the post is actually shown as being by NomoneyNohoney (though Midsmartin is one of those that replied).

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Re: Notifications Issue

Postby Gersemi » August 23rd, 2020, 12:57 pm

I've noticed this, but for me it's been going on for ages.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 23rd, 2020, 2:00 pm

Such a situation/glitch occurs, for example, when someone posts a reply then edits it (within the time window allowed). I’ve seen that occur regularly (and quite often the same poster is involved but not in this case). ***

I would imagine there may be other reasons for the apparent OP having ‘changed’.

*** Edit: In case my memory is wrong, I’m adding this as an edit. If no-one else does similarly am I now showing as the OP in the Notification?

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » August 23rd, 2020, 7:02 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Such a situation/glitch occurs, for example, when someone posts a reply then edits it (within the time window allowed). I’ve seen that occur regularly (and quite often the same poster is involved but not in this case). ***

I would imagine there may be other reasons for the apparent OP having ‘changed’.

*** Edit: In case my memory is wrong, I’m adding this as an edit. If no-one else does similarly am I now showing as the OP in the Notification?

Yes, you Pink Dalek are now showing as the OP in my notifications list.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 23rd, 2020, 7:16 pm

I have also had a situation where I've deleted a post and afterwards certain links to posts on the thread then link to the wrong posts. I think this is a phpBB bug.

Chris

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 24th, 2020, 9:28 am

Stompa wrote:I'm not sure whether this is something new, or a longstanding issue that I've just never noticed before, but there appears to be an issue with the Notifications list. In particular, with the author shown for new topics. When you click on the notification the author shown is typically different from the one shown in the list.

For example, at the moment I have in my list an entry that says:

New topic by Midsmartin: "Freestanding hard drive music player"
Forum: Computers, TVs & Phones

when I click on it, the post is actually shown as being by NomoneyNohoney (though Midsmartin is one of those that replied).

It's a longstanding issue - I think it's been there ever since I joined TLF in late 2016, and certainly since a date within a month or two of that.

Edit: Incorrect and totally wrong-headed theory of mine about who a new thread is shown as being by deleted!

Gengulphus

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » August 24th, 2020, 9:58 am

Thanks all. Obviously I'm not very observant then!

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 24th, 2020, 10:06 am

PinkDalek wrote:Such a situation/glitch occurs, for example, when someone posts a reply then edits it (within the time window allowed). I’ve seen that occur regularly (and quite often the same poster is involved but not in this case). ***

You were, but I see that I've now claimed the 'OP-ship', somewhat unintentionally, by exactly the same method... ;-)

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”