Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Why was thread moved to Share Ideas?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Why was thread moved to Share Ideas?

Postby Wizard » September 26th, 2020, 10:09 am

A thread on access to the new Govt. Covid19 support being conditional on not making distributions was recently moved to Share Ideas, that seems odd to me...

moorfield wrote:...[RELOCATED, away from High Yield as it is of wider relevance]...

Moderator Message:
dspp

I understand it may apply to companies paying a dividend but which are not High Yield, but what share ideas is this intended to give rise to? Does the scope of the Share Ideas board include ideas for shorting or ideas of shares you own but should selll? Whether it does or not it is still relevant to high yield shares, which by definition currently pay a dividened. We see many posts on HYP-P which may well be of wider interest but are not moved, we see duplication of news on HYP-P and Company News which are allowed to stand, so I wonder why was this thread moved?

dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Why was thread moved to Share Ideas?

Postby dspp » September 26th, 2020, 10:18 am

Wizard wrote:A thread on access to the new Govt. Covid19 support being conditional on not making distributions was recently moved to Share Ideas, that seems odd to me...

moorfield wrote:...[RELOCATED, away from High Yield as it is of wider relevance]...

Moderator Message:
dspp

I understand it may apply to companies paying a dividend but which are not High Yield, but what share ideas is this intended to give rise to? Does the scope of the Share Ideas board include ideas for shorting or ideas of shares you own but should selll? Whether it does or not it is still relevant to high yield shares, which by definition currently pay a dividened. We see many posts on HYP-P which may well be of wider interest but are not moved, we see duplication of news on HYP-P and Company News which are allowed to stand, so I wonder why was this thread moved?

I moved it. Explanation is at viewtopic.php?p=342960#p342960 . Can you suggest any better share ideas, best I could come up with is Tesco.

regards, dspp

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » September 26th, 2020, 10:24 am

Wizard wrote:A thread on access to the new Govt. Covid19 support being conditional on not making distributions was recently moved to Share Ideas, that seems odd to me...

Well it seems odd to me too, and not in line with the usual threads posted in that place.

To be fair the thread was moved before the subsequent replies were posted and the intention may have been to draw out some Share Ideas in response to the original post, rather than the generally macro and perhaps political replies that did follow.

Moderation is a tough ask, particularly of volunteer Mods, so the onus is at least as much on us as contributors to post our opinions in line with the Board's ethos, even where there is no particularly guidance like they exist in other places.

I guess it's more of a personal "hobby horse" of mine than it is for others, about threads/posts being in their correct place (one of the minor downsides of being OCD and located on a "spectrum"). I guess you can't argue that certain Boards such as Share Ideas, and Company News etc. are underused and then also complain they are used incorrectly when they are!

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » September 26th, 2020, 11:08 am

dealtn wrote:

Well it seems odd to me too, and not in line with the usual threads posted in that place.

To be fair the thread was moved before the subsequent replies were posted and the intention may have been to draw out some Share Ideas in response to the original post, rather than the generally macro and perhaps political replies that did follow.

Moderation is a tough ask, particularly of volunteer Mods, so the onus is at least as much on us as contributors to post our opinions in line with the Board's ethos, even where there is no particularly guidance like they exist in other places.

I guess it's more of a personal "hobby horse" of mine than it is for others, about threads/posts being in their correct place (one of the minor downsides of being OCD and located on a "spectrum"). I guess you can't argue that certain Boards such as Share Ideas, and Company News etc. are underused and then also complain they are used incorrectly when they are!

I agree! It does seem that "Share Ideas" has become a dumping ground for various OT threads, so much so that I reluctantly decided to remove it from my favourites as I was getting too many notifications for things I wasn't interested in following. You are right though, we should make more use of the board to discuss money making ideas so that the signal to noise ratio is greatly improved. I hope to use it more frequently in the coming months and will try to put forward some ideas when I leave Stockopedia in December.

All the best, Si

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » September 26th, 2020, 11:19 am

I've not posted here for ages. But yeah, it seems particularly bonkers to move this one to Share Ideas.

Sure Tesco gets a mention - big deal.

The thread is clearly a discussion of conceptual matters, i.e. dividends needing to originate from profits, and acceptance of State handouts not being a sign of profitability.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 26th, 2020, 11:22 am

dealtn wrote:

I hope that what follows remains and is not seen as off topic. I'd like to suggest that sometimes there is a real need to respond to a person. It feels like the right thing to do. Behind each post is a person. Someone with feelings. If I recall correctly approximately 70% of communication between humans is "body language". Very simply and very generally then this means we are in a forum that has shortfalls from the outset.

Having read dealtn's post I have to admit to feeling some guilt. Perhaps even a little shame. This person has reminded me that many of us come to this forum with difficulties that I simply cannot know about. Many of you will know of my own difficulties. They are my difficulties to deal with. My bags to carry.

But knowing what is in another posters bags allows me to understand their point of view and their feelings. It also helps me to understand their point of view. I don't have to agree with it. But understanding it may just make me a better person to know.

AiY

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 26th, 2020, 2:13 pm

dealtn wrote:

Possibly the move was intended to draw out some share ideas - but I see no evidence in what's left of the OP that moorfield's intention was to draw out share ideas. And the subsequent posts (which might or might not have been there when the thread was moved - I cannot tell) don't contain any share ideas other than dspp's own ones (which were clearly posted after the move had been done) and responses to them.

It seems pretty obvious to me that a thread which hasn't mentioned a single share idea (at the time of the move) is off-topic on Share Ideas, and that news which affects shareholders in high-dividend-yield companies is on-topic on HYP Practical: I'd agree that that news might well be even more on-topic elsewhere, but it certainly isn't off-topic on HYP Practical.

I do agree that moderation is a tough ask - but the purpose of moving a thread should IMHO be to make it more on-topic as it stands, not less so. If someone (moderator or not) wants a thread that has a different topic from any existing thread, they should post a new thread, not try to take over an existing thread...

dealtn wrote:I guess it's more of a personal "hobby horse" of mine than it is for others, about threads/posts being in their correct place (one of the minor downsides of being OCD and located on a "spectrum"). I guess you can't argue that certain Boards such as Share Ideas, and Company News etc. are underused and then also complain they are used incorrectly when they are!

I think the real problem here is that an item of news can have several different "correct places", depending on which aspect of it one wants to discuss. E.g. in this case:

* the correct place to discuss which HYP companies it might affect and how HYPers should respond is HYP Practical;

* the correct place to discuss the politics of it is Polite Discussions;

* the correct place to discuss the wider economic implications of it is Macro & Global Topics;

* the correct place to discuss the English used in the news report is Pedants' Place;

* the correct place to discuss specific share ideas triggered by the news (e.g. a company whose share price has overreacted downwards because it's expected to be unable to pay dividends) is Share Ideas;

* the correct place to discuss how it should affect one's choice of investment strategy is Investment Strategies, or possibly High Yield Shares & Strategies if one is only interested in high-yield share strategies;

and there may well be others I haven't thought of...

So any serious attempt to keep discussions on-topic for the boards they're on necessarily means that there may be several discussions of the same news going on at the same time on different boards. I don't think that's a bad thing - for instance, if I'm trying to work out the implications for how I manage my HYP, I really don't want the distractions of political discussions about whether it's something the Chancellor should or should not be doing, and equally, if I were trying to decide how to vote in an election, I really wouldn't want the distractions of discussions about whether I should be selling Marston's (for instance). And even if I want to do both, I probably don't want to concentrate on both of them at the same time - so reading the practical HYP discussions and the political discussions in different threads will work well for me.

The problem with that is of course that a contribution to a discussion may well involve multiple aspects - e.g. the politics and the wider economic implications are likely to overlap significantly. The way to deal with that is to post to the most-involved board and cross-post to any others, bearing in mind any implications of the board structure (e.g. the way Polite Discussions is set up and the rationale behind it indicate that if a discussion involves any significant politically-controversial arguments, it probably belongs on Polite Discussions even if it involves more wider economic arguments than politically-controversial arguments). I do realise that this "post one place, cross-post elsewhere" solution is decidedly imperfect - but it's probably the best available solution that is practical on the phpBB board software without putting a considerable amount of work into software extensions.

The other problem with that is that people see a post and reply to it without considering whether their reply is on-topic for the board (and sometimes even the thread, but that's a different matter that hasn't particularly affected this thread). The fact that moorfield posted his OP on HYP Practical should have told readers that what was desired in response was discussion of the implications for running a HYP in practice, not discussions about whether the ban was a good idea, or about social engineering, or (given what the HYP Practical guidance currently is) about whether one should be investing in foreign or UK shares, etc. (By the way, I don't know whether moorfield intended to indicate that restriction on the desired responses - nothing is said about such an intention in what remains of the OP, but it might be a casualty of the deletions, or he might have regarded it as going without saying because he was posting on HYP Practical.)

I don't know whether anything much can be done about that second problem. It seems clear to me that the way the moderators currently deal with off-topic-for-board posts isn't very effective at preventing them from being posted, and that the only ways to make them more effective are to make them more targetted (thread-locking in particular is a blunderbuss way of dealing with such posts, and moderator comments that aren't clearly made to specific individuals aren't much better) and to make them start biting if ignored, not just keep on barking in the rather forlorn hope that they'll stop being ignored. But equally, bringing in those more effective measures would almost certainly require more moderator time, at least in the short-to-medium term, and create more conflicts between moderators and posters - conflicts which would probably put off at least some moderators. So a potential double-whammy for the volunteer moderator system... And on top of that, such measures might well not be in accordance with stooz & Clariman's vision of what the TLF boards should be...

Gengulphus

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » September 26th, 2020, 6:43 pm

It now seems a post I made on the relocated thread linking to this thread has been deleted. I do not know who did that so can't ask them. I only made that post to try and prevent a discussion of the move on the thread itself as I thought the right place for that was here. So can the mod that deleted my post please explain why?

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » September 26th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Possibly the move was intended to draw out some share ideas - but I see no evidence in what's left of the OP that moorfield's intention was to draw out share ideas. And the subsequent posts (which might or might not have been there when the thread was moved - I cannot tell) don't contain any share ideas other than dspp's own ones (which were clearly posted after the move had been done) and responses to them.

It seems pretty obvious to me that a thread which hasn't mentioned a single share idea (at the time of the move) is off-topic on Share Ideas, and that news which affects shareholders in high-dividend-yield companies is on-topic on HYP Practical: I'd agree that that news might well be even more on-topic elsewhere, but it certainly isn't off-topic on HYP Practical.

I do agree that moderation is a tough ask - but the purpose of moving a thread should IMHO be to make it more on-topic as it stands, not less so. If someone (moderator or not) wants a thread that has a different topic from any existing thread, they should post a new thread, not try to take over an existing thread...

dealtn wrote:I guess it's more of a personal "hobby horse" of mine than it is for others, about threads/posts being in their correct place (one of the minor downsides of being OCD and located on a "spectrum"). I guess you can't argue that certain Boards such as Share Ideas, and Company News etc. are underused and then also complain they are used incorrectly when they are!

I think the real problem here is that an item of news can have several different "correct places", depending on which aspect of it one wants to discuss. E.g. in this case:

* the correct place to discuss which HYP companies it might affect and how HYPers should respond is HYP Practical;

* the correct place to discuss the politics of it is Polite Discussions;

* the correct place to discuss the wider economic implications of it is Macro & Global Topics;

* the correct place to discuss the English used in the news report is Pedants' Place;

* the correct place to discuss specific share ideas triggered by the news (e.g. a company whose share price has overreacted downwards because it's expected to be unable to pay dividends) is Share Ideas;

* the correct place to discuss how it should affect one's choice of investment strategy is Investment Strategies, or possibly High Yield Shares & Strategies if one is only interested in high-yield share strategies;

and there may well be others I haven't thought of...

So any serious attempt to keep discussions on-topic for the boards they're on necessarily means that there may be several discussions of the same news going on at the same time on different boards. I don't think that's a bad thing - for instance, if I'm trying to work out the implications for how I manage my HYP, I really don't want the distractions of political discussions about whether it's something the Chancellor should or should not be doing, and equally, if I were trying to decide how to vote in an election, I really wouldn't want the distractions of discussions about whether I should be selling Marston's (for instance). And even if I want to do both, I probably don't want to concentrate on both of them at the same time - so reading the practical HYP discussions and the political discussions in different threads will work well for me.

The problem with that is of course that a contribution to a discussion may well involve multiple aspects - e.g. the politics and the wider economic implications are likely to overlap significantly. The way to deal with that is to post to the most-involved board and cross-post to any others, bearing in mind any implications of the board structure (e.g. the way Polite Discussions is set up and the rationale behind it indicate that if a discussion involves any significant politically-controversial arguments, it probably belongs on Polite Discussions even if it involves more wider economic arguments than politically-controversial arguments). I do realise that this "post one place, cross-post elsewhere" solution is decidedly imperfect - but it's probably the best available solution that is practical on the phpBB board software without putting a considerable amount of work into software extensions.

The other problem with that is that people see a post and reply to it without considering whether their reply is on-topic for the board (and sometimes even the thread, but that's a different matter that hasn't particularly affected this thread). The fact that moorfield posted his OP on HYP Practical should have told readers that what was desired in response was discussion of the implications for running a HYP in practice, not discussions about whether the ban was a good idea, or about social engineering, or (given what the HYP Practical guidance currently is) about whether one should be investing in foreign or UK shares, etc. (By the way, I don't know whether moorfield intended to indicate that restriction on the desired responses - nothing is said about such an intention in what remains of the OP, but it might be a casualty of the deletions, or he might have regarded it as going without saying because he was posting on HYP Practical.)

I don't know whether anything much can be done about that second problem. It seems clear to me that the way the moderators currently deal with off-topic-for-board posts isn't very effective at preventing them from being posted, and that the only ways to make them more effective are to make them more targetted (thread-locking in particular is a blunderbuss way of dealing with such posts, and moderator comments that aren't clearly made to specific individuals aren't much better) and to make them start biting if ignored, not just keep on barking in the rather forlorn hope that they'll stop being ignored. But equally, bringing in those more effective measures would almost certainly require more moderator time, at least in the short-to-medium term, and create more conflicts between moderators and posters - conflicts which would probably put off at least some moderators. So a potential double-whammy for the volunteer moderator system... And on top of that, such measures might well not be in accordance with stooz & Clariman's vision of what the TLF boards should be...

Gengulphus

Based on the comment about the relocation it was originally on HYS&S not HYP-P.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 26th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Possibly the move was intended to draw out some share ideas - but I see no evidence in what's left of the OP that moorfield's intention was to draw out share ideas.

Oh dear, it seems I was squashed by the big white balloon after all! Will I never escape the village? (*) And amusing to find an 8 post discussion here ...

My post was intended simply to inform high yield investors of a relevant news item I found and was deliberately posted on HYSS not HYPP for that broader audience and I forsaw that that might develop into a discussion of other strategies, eg. ITs. (believe it or not I was trying to help the mods out in advance there...). Certainly it may be on-topic for HYPP, but I view HYPP as a subset of HYSS.

So as the OP I can categorically say to mods it was not contributed as a "Share Idea".

(*) a reference to my deleted comment, disappointed to see my satire oppressed, in another time and place that have been called fascism.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » September 27th, 2020, 7:56 am

moorfield wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:Possibly the move was intended to draw out some share ideas - but I see no evidence in what's left of the OP that moorfield's intention was to draw out share ideas.

Oh dear, it seems I was squashed by the big white balloon after all! Will I never escape the village? (*) And amusing to find an 8 post discussion here ...

My post was intended simply to inform high yield investors of a relevant news item I found and was deliberately posted on HYSS not HYPP for that broader audience and I forsaw that that might develop into a discussion of other strategies, eg. ITs. (believe it or not I was trying to help the mods out in advance there...). Certainly it may be on-topic for HYPP, but I view HYPP as a subset of HYSS.

So as the OP I can categorically say to mods it was not contributed as a "Share Idea".

(*) a reference to my deleted comment, disappointed to see my satire oppressed, in another time and place that have been called fascism.

Don't be silly. We are guests on a privately owned discussion board, the owners can do whatever they like. If we don't like it we can choose another forum or discuss our gripes with them. That's freedom not fascism.

In reference to another post, IMO Tesco does not qualify as a share idea. It's a constituent of the FTSE 100 and probably held directly or indirectly by most UK share investors with a diversified portfolio.

The Share Ideas board is for smaller, more obscure or overlooked shares of the kind discussed in Paulypilot's pub in the old days.

GS

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » September 27th, 2020, 8:46 am

IMO, certain posters spend way too much time trying to micro-manage where things get posted. These boards are not exactly overflowing with useful equity-based discussion, so let's learn to appreciate what we have, even if it's not necessarily on the optimal board (which is subjective anyway).

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 27th, 2020, 9:41 am

moorfield wrote:

Thanks for clarifying that. I think I'd picked up the impression that it was originally on HYP Practical from the mentions of HYP Practical in this thread's OP - and failed to spot that that impression was wrong: there was a clue in the description "High Yield" being closer to "High Yield Shares & Strategies" than to "HYP Practical", but I missed it...

However, that makes no essential difference to the point I was making in your quote from my post: at the time it was moved, the thread was on-topic for High Yield Shares & Strategies and not containing any share ideas at that time, and it was off-topic for Share Ideas. Whether it was most on-topic there depends on what aspects of the news you were interested in discussing - I don't know whether you made that apparent in the thread's OP as you originally posted it, but if you did, I don't see any trace of it remaining in that OP, so thanks also for clarifying what your intention was.

moorfield wrote:Oh dear, it seems I was squashed by the big white balloon after all! Will I never escape the village? (*) And amusing to find an 8 post discussion here ...

Well, as it seems that's what you wanted to discuss, you ought to have posted on Music, Theatre, TV and Film! :-J

Gengulphus

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 27th, 2020, 10:28 am

In answer to the original question "Why was the thread moved to Share Ideas" ..... another site user reported the post as being off topic.
This is not really HIGH YIELD discussion is it? Probably best on Shares?

One of the Mods agreed and moved the topic.

The original poster didn't help themselves by starting their post with the following words, which was correctly edited out by the Mod.
(Posted here in anticipation of the inevitable HYP-is-better-no-it-isnt debate into which this thread might descend. At least we can discuss the merits of ITs here freely without the big white balloon following us around(*) ...)

Starting a post like that was asking for Moderator attention, so I'd caution others not to go down that route. I suspect if they had simply posted the link and details without that, it wouldn't have been reported in the first place and would have still been on HYS&S.

Having read both the topic itself and the discussion here, there was certainly an argument for leaving it on HYS&S, but it would cause more discussion and upset if I were to move it back, so let's all move on.
Moderator Message:
This Biscuit Bar topic now closed

Clariman

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”