Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Let's not get too blinkered about rules

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Let's not get too blinkered about rules

Postby Arborbridge » October 14th, 2020, 9:27 am

I'm just posting an exchange from investment strategies - it would be interesting to know what others think about this topic.

dealtn wrote:This is Investment Strategies, where discussions are supposed to be about choices of investments and alternative strategies. Much though the discussion is useful, and enjoyable, there are plenty of other places, and threads to talk about the economy, macro issues, and Covid.

Unfortunately, this sort of blinkered rules based thinking, although very proper, is the very antithesis of a discussion group. We need a lively set of boards with ideas being interchanged and from which we can learn. This does not result from curtailing discussion prematurely or transferring it elsewhere, where it usually reached a dead end as everyone has become cheesed off by what happened.

Trying to separate human thought into "streams" only results in stultification. I'm not arguing for a free for all, but some degree of flexibility rather than people complaining whenever someone steps out of line. I was educated my Salvorhardin's post, and I'm grateful to him: that is exactly what TLF should be like.

Arb.

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Let's not get too blinkered about rules

Postby XFool » October 14th, 2020, 11:03 am

Um...

Good luck with that! :?

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 14th, 2020, 11:07 am

Arborbridge wrote:I'm just posting an exchange from investment strategies - it would be interesting to know what others think about this topic.

dealtn wrote:This is Investment Strategies, where discussions are supposed to be about choices of investments and alternative strategies. Much though the discussion is useful, and enjoyable, there are plenty of other places, and threads to talk about the economy, macro issues, and Covid.

Unfortunately, this sort of blinkered rules based thinking, although very proper, is the very antithesis of a discussion group. We need a lively set of boards with ideas being interchanged and from which we can learn. This does not result from curtailing discussion prematurely or transferring it elsewhere, where it usually reached a dead end as everyone has become cheesed off by what happened.

Trying to separate human thought into "streams" only results in stultification. I'm not arguing for a free for all, but some degree of flexibility rather than people complaining whenever someone steps out of line. I was educated my Salvorhardin's post, and I'm grateful to him: that is exactly what TLF should be like.

Arb.

May I make two observations please?

The first is the outrageous envy I have regarding Salvors knowledge of financial stuff. If I was one fact behind Salvor I'd probably be a wealthy but grumpy old fool :roll:

The second is that the poster who made the comment you are referring to does suffer with OCD I believe. Knowing that has allowed me to understand their personality a little better. I'm far from perfect. But one step closer when I can offer some kindness no matter how small to another fool.

AiY

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 14th, 2020, 11:13 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
May I make two observations please?

The first is the outrageous envy I have regarding Salvors knowledge of financial stuff. If I was one fact behind Salvor I'd probably be a wealthy but grumpy old fool :roll:

The second is that the poster who made the comment you are referring to does suffer with OCD I believe. Knowing that has allowed me to understand their personality a little better. I'm far from perfect. But one step closer when I can offer some kindness no matter how small to another fool.

AiY

Thanks for that. My sympathy is increased, but my basic point remains.

Arb.
Last edited by Itsallaguess on October 14th, 2020, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote window

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 14th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Well said Arb, I agree. Sadly there are those that come to these boards and behave in a ‘wannabe mod’ manner and like they know more than the rest of us. I can’t be doing with such aloofness. We’re all learning here, and no one knows everything.

Listen to Arb guys, he’s right.

Ian.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » October 14th, 2020, 5:58 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I'm just posting an exchange from investment strategies - it would be interesting to know what others think about this topic.

Arb.

Investment Strategies.

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.

The first post on the thread was about Covid, and Recession. Nothing to do with the Board, or peripherally at best. Not a mention of investment, or concerning a strategy. Nothing wrong with the topic, or the responses, but nothing to do with that Board. The first reply I thought was helpful, and pointed out it probably wasn't the best place to discuss the particular point raised, and referred the OP to an article I thought was relevant and helpful, and was duly thanked by the OP.

I am not sure I have at any point asked for discussion to be curtailed, but it is helpful for me, and maybe others if discussions are initially posted in the appropriate place. That also helps when trying to find a discussion at a later date.

Maybe for some that isn't an issue or important, this is a "broad church" after all.

It is interesting to note that the OP of this thread, and the last contributor are two of the most frequent contributors on the Board on this site that has the most frequent accusations of "off-topic", and for want of a better word "defenders" of that Board, and amongst the critics of those wishing to post off-topic contributions there. (Rightly in most cases). What is the difference, and is that behaviour not a little bit two-faced, in light of this thread?

I am all for topics meandering, that is one of the joys of this site to me, but asking for topics to start in an appropriate place (or be moved there if it is pointed out, particularly early in the thread) isn't a problem, or is it?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 14th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Points well made on all sides, but no great value in continuing the discussion. I will lock thread. No further action.

Clariman

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”